16 replies to this topic

#1 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted July 29, 2015 - 02:44 PM

Went out to mow today and when I tried to start my Cub 106 I just heard a high pitched whine. Odd noise I haven't heard before. When I looked at the starter generator I noticed there was no belt.The old cracked belt had finally given up . I couldn't believe how hard and cracked it was. I hated the thought of a 12 mile round trip to the dealer and the high price of IH belts so I looked around my shed and found a NOS VW fan belt hanging on a hook. It was just slightly longer than the old belt and wonder of wonders it fit on the 3/8 wide pulley perfectly. Most of my friends and family consider me a pack rat and I must say I do save a lot of stuff. This belt had to be for my '77 VW or '79 Audi. After a hot ,dirty, 20 min I had it on and there was just enough adjustment to tension it. I looked at the cardboard sleeve and saw the price tag. $2.99! WooHoo I finally got to use some of my stash. Started right up and mowed away. The Cub ran great on the non ethanol 91 octane fuel I bought last week.

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 10 others have said thanks

#2 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted July 29, 2015 - 02:50 PM

Gotta love it when you can use something that you KNEW would come in handy sooner or later.

The missus calls me a pack rat too, 

I purge occasionally. I've been regularly cleaning out the old stuff just to make room for more stuff.

Just the other day I hauled in a small collection of stainless steel parts I had collected over 25 years, between it and 20 pounds of new brass I made 120 bucks,

Edited by Chopperhed, July 29, 2015 - 03:01 PM.

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#3 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted July 29, 2015 - 03:05 PM

Thanks for showing us belt hoarders that there is a glimmer of hope that someday we might be as lucky as you were.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3586.JPG

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#4 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted July 29, 2015 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for showing us belt hoarders that there is a glimmer of hope that someday we might be as lucky as you were.

Wow! I am in awe of your collection of belts. I could use a 42'' deck belt. 3/8'' width of course.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted July 29, 2015 - 03:55 PM

Wow! I am in awe of your collection of belts. I could use a 42'' deck belt. 3/8'' width of course.

You jest!

Tell me which one it is and it's yours.

• Alc said thank you

#6 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,465 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted July 29, 2015 - 04:09 PM

It's always good to have some junk laying around. I don't know how many times my father had the belt I needed when I asked him. Yard sales are great for picking up hardware and tools. Most people at the yard sales walk past the buckets and boxes of old tools, but I grab them if there are things that are or will be useful. God only knows the last time this tool was used, but I'm using it now.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150720_142403-1.jpg

• MH81, Alc, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#7 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • Member No: 61353
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted July 29, 2015 - 06:32 PM

VICTORY !   thats great . I love it when that happens . I had a big box of bolts from an old mechanic , one day I threw it away and twenty years later I still kick myself in the ass for it . especially now with these tractors . hahah

• Alc and propane1 have said thanks

#8 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted July 29, 2015 - 09:05 PM

My dad left me with a 30x50 garage full of "I might use that somedays " Been going thru it for the better part of 20 years finding stuff people might need. Just last week I pulled a PTO clutch out of a corner for a neighbor to fit his Roper.
  • MH81, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#9 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,112 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted July 29, 2015 - 09:07 PM

Happens to me to, can't remember what it was. But just last week I needed something and found it and used it to fix whatever. My trouble is , I know I have it some where, but where ?????? Noel
  • Alc, wvbuzzmaster, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#10 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted July 29, 2015 - 09:37 PM

Happens to me to, can't remember what it was. But just last week I needed something and found it and used it to fix whatever. My trouble is , I know I have it some where, but where ?????? Noel

Isn't that always the case.

"I knew I had it, in my hand jus the other day"

t happens to me 5 or 6 times a day.

It get's even worse,

"I just put the freakin thing down 40 seconds ago, and I'll be darned if I can find it"

• Alc, wvbuzzmaster, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#11 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted July 29, 2015 - 09:39 PM

It's always good to have some junk laying around. I don't know how many times my father had the belt I needed when I asked him. Yard sales are great for picking up hardware and tools. Most people at the yard sales walk past the buckets and boxes of old tools, but I grab them if there are things that are or will be useful. God only knows the last time this tool was used, but I'm using it now.

I'd love to get my hands on one of those. I used one when I was a kid

Edited by Chopperhed, July 30, 2015 - 07:01 AM.

#12 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 29, 2015 - 11:55 PM

It's nice to find already owned parts to use. On my old 1973 Gilson it needed a new belt from PTO pulley to tiller driveshaft pulley and I dug out a belt from Dad's stash that fit and worked great. Sold the tracor later on though, but used that tiller a few years, and the belt never slipped once.

I had a cheapo HF die holder (tap & die set) break around the die after probably only the dozenth or so use in 7 years (I usually use Dad's set). Anyway, had one of those eureka moments because I had been digging through the boxes of auction stuff I had bought looking for something else only 3 days prior and stumbled on a high quality die holder machined from real metal that had like 3 dies with it (asked myself WTH would I ever do with this? at the time lol). The HF dies fit the old holder great, and the old holder fits in the molded plastic HF tap & die set case with minimal persuasion lol. What a score.

I've been trying to get better about putting stuff back together with what I can find around here before I spend the money on a new anything. Sometimes I win, other times I lose. Really need to see a few tems I can't use.
  • Alc said thank you

#13 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • Member No: 61353
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted July 30, 2015 - 01:06 AM

I'd love to get my hands on one of those. I used one when I was a .

oh come on man !!! :flamethrower:  dont leave us hangin like that  ... when you were a .... WHAT ?  a plumber ? a librarian ? pilot ?

• Alc, KennyP and LilysDad have said thanks

#14 Buck Tales OFFLINE  

Buck Tales
  • Member No: 73140
  • 150 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted July 30, 2015 - 08:28 AM

I don't know about him but I'm a jack of all trades and a master of 1. LOL!!! Which one depends on what day it is. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#15 Buck Tales OFFLINE  

Buck Tales
  • Member No: 73140
  • 150 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted July 30, 2015 - 08:29 AM

P.S. I keep adding sheds for my over run of stuff myself because I KNOW I'm going to need it..........someday.

• Alc said thank you