Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

cc 1650,swapping 16 hp.k series for 16 hp vanguard.

engine swap cc 1650

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 switchman OFFLINE  

switchman
  • Member No: 60878
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 07:05 PM

i have a 1650 with no engine , i have a 16 hp b&s vanguard from an ags 2160,how hard will it be to match up?

thank you

switchman

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 07:20 PM

Welcome to GTT. I do not work on CCs so, I cannot answer your question. Someone who can will be along. You can search for manuals and discussions from the top of the page. Good Luck, Rick

• switchman said thank you

#3 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 07:23 PM

If it's a single cylinder I wouldn't think it too be too difficult.  A twin on the other hand is going to likely give you sideshield clearance issues, and may interfere with the frame rails as well.  I had a 2140 at one time with the Onan engine in it that I would have liked to swap but never did it.

#4 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 542 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 10:00 PM

The 1650 original K341 engine mounted on a rail cradle that mounts with rubber vibration isolators to the frame . I'm not familiar with the later cubs like the 2160 , but if its a twin I'm almost positive it wont clear the side panels . Other issues might be the 4 engine mounting holes in the cradle , also if the vanguard flywheel coupling will mate without a lot of work to the driveshaft ,  and if the coupling height is going to be close to what the K341 was for the driveshaft to run fairly straight . I'm sure there are other things to consider such as the electrical wiring , exhaust routing ,  etc .

#5 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 12:33 PM

I have a 1650 (in pieces) and was considering a similar install, depending on what my original engine looks like. Haven't done any measuring or fitting yet, but here is what I have collected from searching the web and other sites for similar questions.

You will HAVE to lose the side panels - they won't fit with the twin.

You may have to notch the frame for clearance - I believe it was the starter that they were talking about hitting.

Remote oil filter is required.

Never saw an answer, but there were questions about if the engine mounts (the strips that mount on the iso-mount system) would fit the twin, or if you would have to make/modify new mount strips. Everyone suggested doing the mount modification (welding a brace between the two mounting strips).

With the twins better balance, the whole iso-system becomes less critical. Some suggest using solid mounts...

Since the 1650 uses an electric clutch, you can match the drive shaft diameter or go with a new pto clutch or use a shaft adapter to get the right size, depending on your twins shaft diameter.

Different ignition system, so new ignition switch and possible wiring changes.

Custom muffler and or muffler box since is different from the kohler

From putting a KOHLER 18hp twin in my Ford LGT, I can tell you the following from experience;

Not sure about the vanguard, but the kohler twin was a little longer front to back than the k341. But it was close enough that the mule drive worked "as is" and I didn't have to cut/change the drive shaft on my install.

The kohler stub shafts and adapters from the k341 also fit the ch18, so I could reuse my stub shafts and pto. Not sure if what you have will fit the briggs or if you will need to buy/make new adapters...

The twins are WIDER (front to back [air cleaner]  and side to side [cylinder v]) up high, than the original engine. The front to back caused me a space issue with my fuel tank on the ford. May have same issue on the cub since the tank mounts in a similar place.

My command had a carb fuel solenoid and oil pressure light - things that the original k341 didn't have, so I ended up remaking my wiring harness to use them - also the battery/points to magneto ignition change caused a fair number of changes in the harness, at least for me and my app.

You will LOVE the new v twin! I picked up 2 hp (16-18) and the new engine is much smoother. Also like that the new plant's oil system is pressure fed and filtered instead of splash. My original engine holed the block because of the balance gears, and I had the ch18 sitting around, so it was a no-brainer for me. I did a few other things at the same time, and ran into a few issues that I fixed along the way, but the actual engine swap only took a few days. If you want to read about my conversion, its posted here with lots of pictures in the "Ford/Jacobsen" section!

Hope that helps some!

#6 Diesel1050 OFFLINE  

Diesel1050

Diesel Nut!

• Member No: 69580
  • 343 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 08:25 PM

If I can put a 14 horse Vanguard V-Twin in a 1965 Simplicity Soverign, you certainly can put one in a Cub! Just make sure the shaft will be spinning the right way!

#7 switchman OFFLINE  

switchman
  • Member No: 60878
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 08:39 PM

thanks for all the good ideas,but,i changed my mind and sold the engine . i am now considering putting in a 14 hp.k series that i have on hand. again thank you.

switchman

#8 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 11:36 AM

Much easier to do! Just make sure the engine is a narrow base and not a wide base. Two styles of kohler k3xx engine. Wide base has tabs on each side of the oil pan/engine case - and the mounting bolts go through those tabs to secure engine to frame. This style is too wide for the cub frame. You need the narrow base - basically sides of the engine don't flare out any and the engine mounts to frame via blind bolt holes on underside of block.

All cubs use a narrow base, as did most fords, and many deeres.....