Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 5,116 Thanks
  • 5,506 posts

Posted June 07, 2017 - 07:52 PM

Update

Being using this one a lot lately cutting grass, I don't know why but this one, the EGT200's are my favorite, I have 2 of them.

I think it's time to take 1 to a show.

001.JPG

• MH81, Alc, CRFarnsworth and 2 others have said thanks

#32 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,962 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted June 08, 2017 - 06:36 AM

Glad it has worked out well.
Nice pic BTW
  • DH1 said thank you

#33 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 4,462 Thanks
  • 2,051 posts

Posted June 08, 2017 - 10:11 AM

Being using this one a lot lately cutting grass, I don't know why but this one, the EGT200's are my favorite,

Good looking unit. 

Do you prefer the mid-mount over the front mount?      Rick 

#34 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6989
  • 323 Thanks
  • 483 posts

Posted June 08, 2017 - 02:34 PM

I have to tell you a story about the EGT200. We use to sell these back in the day, (no I don't have any parts left). There was a lady that lived on a farm and she had a very steep ditch in her front yard, when she would go up it about half way the EGT would shift into overdrive or what ever it was called and would about throw her off the back. We tried everything to stop that and the New Idea service man came out and looked at it. After hours of checking it with his volt meter he chomped down on his cigar and said "Mam this mower was designed to only mow down steep hills you can't go up them" She looked at him and rolled her eyes but was satisfied as she never complained about it again.

Another thing we use to do when we were trying to sell them was to hook it up the an Allis Chalmers 720 we had on the lot. We would let the customer pull the EGT for a few feet and then engage the EGT, it would stop that 720 and pull it backwards all the while the 720's tires were burning rubber.

Those were good mowers just a little ahead of their time.

• DH1, Alc, CRFarnsworth and 1 other said thanks

#35 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,796 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted June 08, 2017 - 02:42 PM

I have to tell you a story about the EGT200. We use to sell these back in the day, (no I don't have any parts left). There was a lady that lived on a farm and she had a very steep ditch in her front yard, when she would go up it about half way the EGT would shift into overdrive or what ever it was called and would about throw her off the back. We tried everything to stop that and the New Idea service man came out and looked at it. After hours of checking it with his volt meter he chomped down on his cigar and said "Mam this mower was designed to only mow down steep hills you can't go up them" She looked at him and rolled her eyes but was satisfied as she never complained about it again.

Another thing we use to do when we were trying to sell them was to hook it up the an Allis Chalmers 720 we had on the lot. We would let the customer pull the EGT for a few feet and then engage the EGT, it would stop that 720 and pull it backwards all the while the 720's tires were burning rubber.

That is a very funny story!  I can't stop laughing thinking about this guy with a cigar say that to that lady!!!!

#36 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,116 Thanks
  • 5,506 posts

Posted June 08, 2017 - 06:44 PM

Good looking unit. 

Do you prefer the mid-mount over the front mount?      Rick 

Post # 6   http://gardentractor...-grass-cutters/

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#37 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,116 Thanks
  • 5,506 posts

Posted June 08, 2017 - 07:16 PM

Thanks for the story Dan, interesting in that what that Lady was experiencing is the way they designed it.

GE or New Idea, did not want full battery voltage/power to be applied to the motor at low motor rpm. The EGT200 had a delay built into it to do this. The more load on the motor the longer it took before full voltage or power was allowed to goto the motor. On level ground, light load you don't even notice it. If she had of dropped down 1 gear going up the hill, maybe ??? would of solved the problem.

Back in the day they were heavier then most other garden tractors, that's why they out pulled them but hook up 2 tractors that weight the same,  ??? 

Edited by DH1, June 08, 2017 - 07:17 PM.

• DanP said thank you