• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 09:59 AM

My sears ss16 was having fuel issues,,as in not getting any or too much. I cleaned carb out, don't know where the crap is coming from other than it is bypassing my fuel filter. Was not getting fuel again after cleaning carb..Pump is also suspect so i added a electric pump. Tractor runs smooth as silk again. What should I remove of the original pump? The diaphram, spring and plastic spring holder thingy? I left original pump in when i added electric. Previously the engine was quitting after half hour run time...maybe diaphram warms up and loses its oomph?

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by Jazz, July 26, 2015 - 10:05 AM.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 10:08 AM

You don't really have to remove anything from the fuel pump, as the check valve flaps will allow fuel to pass right on through.  But when you cleaned the carb, did you also clean the pump side?  Tiny particles tend to build up inside the pump edges, and later breaks loose, messing with the needle.

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 10:10 AM

You don't really have to remove anything from the fuel pump, as the check valve flaps will allow fuel to pass right on through.  But when you cleaned the carb, did you also clean the pump side?  Tiny particles tend to build up inside the pump edges, and later breaks loose, messing with the needle & jets.

:ditto:

Also what kind of filter are you using? Theres ones for fuel pumps that are a finer micron

#4 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 10:36 AM

I did clean pump side also. Fuel filter is clear plastic type, I wanted to be able to watch for fuel flow as well as crud which its catching lots of. I will like remove fuel tank in the fall and soak in vinegar for a week or so. Must be rust in there. I will look into a better fuel filter

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,109 Thanks
  • 3,201 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 07:29 PM

Any picture of the electric fuel pump. Looking for information on electric fuel pumps for small engines. Noel

#6 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 11:02 PM

This is the pump I am using. I only paid $20 7 years ago for it.  Its very quiet. I should wire it to ignition as sure as heck I will forget to turn it off. Its sort of temporary I think..

http://www.ebay.com/...4ca106c&vxp=mtr

Edited by Jazz, July 31, 2015 - 11:06 PM.

• propane1 said thank you

#7 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 833 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 07:53 AM

Hi Jazz, when I installed an electric fuel pump on the SS16 I just removed the pulse line from the engine to the pump and capped both off, likewise after I installed the electric pump the Onan ran nice again.

I read some where that you should not run both pumps and disconnecting the pulse hose was what to do.

Edited by MNGB, August 02, 2015 - 07:54 AM.

#8 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted August 03, 2015 - 10:48 AM

Is the pulse line that reddish coloured line I have plugged. Can't find reference to pulse line in manual

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#9 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 833 posts

Posted August 03, 2015 - 12:01 PM

Hi no its the hose from the side bottom of the pump going down to the engine block all that is visible in the pic is the hose clamp rest is behind the gov arm.,

• Jazz said thank you

#10 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted August 03, 2015 - 02:10 PM

Hi no its the hose from the side bottom of the pump going down to the engine block all that is visible in the pic is the hose clamp rest is behind the gov arm.,

Okay,,so I could split the line and plug both splices individually so line into pump is plugged as well as line into block?  thanks

#11 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 833 posts

Posted August 03, 2015 - 07:51 PM

Hi yep that's it

• Jazz said thank you