Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Modification to run mower deck with early snow blower bracket in place.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 08:15 AM

Hey everyone, long time so see! I am back to working on my baby again! Some of you may remember my tractor was down last winter with a "no spark" condition that drove me nuts and turned out to be a reverse polarity charged battery. Well, since that time we have moved and bought a new house (with a 1400 sq ft work shop spread over two stories in addition to the two car garage). The best part is a yard that needs the tractor to mow!

For the last three years, the poor thing has been left to snow duty only. 😢

However, the early style snowblower frame bracket does not allow you you to attach the mower deck. My original plan was to build a bracket that would mount the mower deck to the blower bracket. I had a trashed deck mount, so I planned to use that one for parts. First I cut the arms off off the bracket. The plate that goes side to side hits the blower bracket, but I found that the mount bracket part of the mower deck cleared. While looking at the two parts, I realized this was as simple as cutting the welds to that side to side bracket and remounting it further back.

I know you all like photos, so here we go! It works like a charm! All that is needed is to remove the plate on the bumper for the blower, and mount the mower deck!

I am also debating beefing up the blower bracket to work with a plow blade. That and this thought in the back of my mind of how I could modify a spare blower housing to hold a street sweeper brush.... 😊
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  • DH1, Gtractor, MH81 and 1 other said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,290 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 08:22 AM

Wow, that is slick.
Sure beats the on-off-on-off cycle
How far down did you move yours?

Thanks! I plan on copying that.
  • FirefyterEmt and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 11:29 AM

Yea, that was not going to happen! Measured from the top of the arm (at the 90 degree turn into the mounting bracket) to the top edge of the plate, it is now 7.5" down. That allows full clearance, and room for the bracket to be removed without lifting the tractor.

I lucked out too, my local Tractor Supply had the Massey Red in spray cans! Normally they only have it in quarts.

#4 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 11:35 AM

PS, you will notice that when it was welded back on, it mounts underneath the bars. This is the way it was originally mounted. In the first two photos, I had the plate I gut off my spare one just sitting on top to see if it would work. That will give you more clearance to the axle. If welded to the top, it will hit the steering stops. However, only with the deck up, and the axle fully flexed on a ramp.