coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 08:03 AM

So far the fruits of our labors are paying off. We started canning this week. It started out with Green beans (planted jade beans this year and they taste much better than blue lake or contender) We have 20 quarts sofar and the bushes are still putting out. A friend of ours has a truck farm and he made us come and pick tomatoes, 3 5 gallon bucket full. We are finishing those up this morning. I got some cabbage while there and started a crock of kraut (first time for me so we will see how that turns out). My MIL sent us half a bushel of peaches so we made peach pie filling and peach butter. We also recieved about 4 dozen ears of corn, they got put in the freezer.

My garden isnt doing much this year. The cukes were stunted and only made little golf ball size fruit. I tilled them under and replanted some other cukes this week. Okra is is slow to grow also. I could not plant in that area untill it dried up and that was a month after the upper garden dried so maybe its just late. The beans are putting out great, I ma getting about 2  5 gal buckets a week off of them.

Howt is everybody elses canning going?

• Alc, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 08:21 AM

We haven't so far but this is the first year in a long time the bugs haven't killed off the cucumbers so I've been picking some to make pickles.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 09:54 AM

Our broccoli is finished, pulled up the plants a couple of weeks ago. We're still picking chard and have been picking lots of sugar snap peas and are getting some zucchini w/ lots more to come. Beans are just starting to blossom and we have a forecast low of 34* and 33* for Mon and Tues nite so I'll run the sprinkler all nite for those two. It's just part of the risk of gardening at high altitude. 

Did a welding job for a farmer friend yesterday and he told me about using mustard for killing nematodes in his crop rotation plan. He said the roots will work some but for true effect to allow the mustard to bloom and then till it under. We've been having a nematode problem in the green house w/ the tomatoes, so when they're done I plan to plant mustard seed my friend gave me and try to grow it to blossom stage before it gets too cold and then till it under. Won't know the results until next year. We've also had a slight nematode problem in our two carrot beds and as we can grow enough in one bed I plan to grow mustard in one next yr and see how it works the following yr.

Mike

• coldone, Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,433 Thanks
  • 947 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 10:55 AM

Since we don't really grow much other than herbs and swiss char we only do pickles, beats, and 20 gallons of tomato sauce. Season vendor has not set up in town yet and farmers market to pricey...Wife always has a jug of scobi brewing on counter,,decent enough to drink once she adds some raspberries for flavour. I also add some honey.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by Jazz, July 26, 2015 - 10:57 AM.

• coldone, Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,834 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 01:05 PM

The cedar wax wings cleaned me on the hascap berries, will have to put up netting, but that's a next year project. I've already done a batch of red currant jelly, one of rhubarb jelly and two of rhubarb fruit. The green beans are just ready to pick and there'll be about a 5gal. pail full in the first picking today. I'll get them canned tonight, hopefully before midnight, lol. The peas are just starting to fill, and I prefer them blanched and frozen to canned. And then there is the chard! Somehow I managed to plant two rows this spring, on opposite ends of the garden ( my sons laughed and said I had a brain fart). I guess that's better than patting me on the head, saying I'm just a little forgetful and booking me a room in the home! Anyhow, I'll can some, freeze some, and give a lot away. Zucchini are being zucchini, if you know what I mean--- think I'll try and adapt/develop a recipe for hot zucchini salsa, there must be a way to use them up that doesn't involve the calories found in baking. You can eat just so many raw, and then you've had enough. The raspberries are just coming on as well, and I mix them raw with sugar to taste in small freezer bags and freeze them for fruit and ice cream topping--- delicious. Also make jam and jelly with them. Wild choke cherries are almost ready, they get turned into pan cake syrop and jelly, and it'll be a couple of weeks and then the blueberries will be on. I'm going to be busy from now 'til frost, and as happy as a sane person, lol.

• coldone, Alc, Jack and 1 other said thanks

#6 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 5,834 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted July 27, 2015 - 03:06 AM

Well, you can check the time on this post--- I missed my midnight deadline on canning the green beans, lol. Better than a five gallon pail full made 16 pints in the canner and 8 bags blanched and in the freezer, and I don't much care if I see another bean for a few days, I'm bushed and ready for bed!
  • coldone, Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 29, 2015 - 12:44 PM

Well the berries are starting to come to a close. There was a lot of jam made.

Been canning pickles for a coup.e weeks.
  • coldone said thank you

#8 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,476 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 11:00 AM

My mom has been canning out of our garden, about 25 pints of pickles ( never had this many cucumbers) and I think 30 quarts of beans. If the tomatoes ever turn red, she will probably can those. Not sure what we will be doing with all the butternut and spaghetti squash, we have tons of it coming on. Mom says they will keep in the basement so guess we will have a bunch of it for winter.

• coldone and oldedeeres have said thanks

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 12:06 PM

Jo, said after we pick the pickle ing cucumbers tomorrow morning. She will have made enough pickles, and wants the vines pulled and put on the compost pile.
The tomatoes are just starting to ripen, so she will be putting up a lot of stew tomatoes and sauce.
The tomatillos, are shaping up and she is going to can a bunch of Salsa verde.

We planted way too many zucchini this year and Jo has frozen, and dehydrated a bunch.

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 14, 2015 - 12:09 PM.

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 07:15 PM

Dug 3 rows of potatoes today Jo plans to make a bunch of Frozen French fries and Hash Browns.
then picked all the sweet corn, probably 6-8 dozen( it was too hot to count) so that has to be frozen.
Going to be a busy weekend.

#11 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 5,834 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 11:46 AM

Yesterday I made up 20 jelly jars of black currant jelly---- that'll do me for several years, but a harvest of black currants is not something I can count on every year, so I make use of them when the opportunity presents itself. Today the wild highbush cranberries get picked. Many years ago we transplanted bushes from down by the swamp into the yard. Too many black bears used the same patch of berries and My Olde Deere figured the bears had the right of first possession. He'd rather move bushes than bears, and I agreed, so now there is a row of berries in the yard and the bears can have the swamp. Should get about six ice cream pails of cranberries, and I'll leave the rest for the Ruffed Grouse to eat over winter.

• coldone, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#12 Links56 OFFLINE  

Links56
  • Member No: 74901
  • 14 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 03:55 PM

My garden has really been going crazy this year! I have been getting 20-30 tomatos every 2 days or so. I have canned probably 50 quarts of salsa, 25 quarts of spaghetti sauce, 12 quarts of stewed tomatos, 25 quarts of pickles, 10 pints of relish, 20 half pints of rasberry jam, 10 quarts of green beans. Today Im going to can some more tomatos. It sure is alot of work but at least I know where my food comes from and exactly what is in it. It's all worth it in the middle of winter.

• coldone, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#13 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,403 Thanks
  • 3,154 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 05:49 AM

I've canned and froze a pile of stuff, raspberries, blueberries, corn, pickles, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes ,both stewed and sauce, and now have grapes to pick, wines to make, and taters to finish digging, along with cabbages and beets, and rudabagas blue hubbad squashes and a ton of butternut squash.
I still need to do some more garden pickles, these are nice because you just pickle what ever is left. Im busy to say the least!!
  • coldone, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#14 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,403 Thanks
  • 3,154 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 05:03 AM

Holy good season this year!! Peppers are the best I have ever had, going to make a bunch of pickled jalapeños and can a bunch of the Bell peppers , along with stuffing them and then freezing them for later. Also going to make hot pepper jelly and relish, as I have a mountain of jalapeños.
Just started a batch of pear wine, and a Concord dark, going to do a Concord blush today. Busy busy busy!!!

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 11:25 AM

Looks like there will be more peach jam put up this week.
I looked for four years for Iowa native white peach trees.
Was given three seedlings about a foot tall last fall, and they are doing well.
Was given two flats of white peaches last night, so they will be going in the jars. I am going to save a bunch of pits and start more trees next spring. These trees were on every farmstead when I was a kid,but now they are scarce.
Also got a flat of hickory nuts to pick.

Edited by JD DANNELS, September 15, 2015 - 11:30 AM.