skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 07:00 PM

This week has been hell on earth! Tuesday night it started. Water !!! And it wasn't even raining or had been for a few days, when my basement decided to start taking on water !! So I think I have a leak at a pipe right? Wrong water is coming in through the floor to wall joints. ... Great !! I find the culprit wall and start looking for a machine to start digging, finally find one ,a new Hitachi 50 ,nice unit, and $350 a day! Well this is where I'm at now, a huge hole and soupy mud in the trench... Got to get the pipe in tomorrow as I did manage to get it unplugged and am going to install a new pipe for straight access to this corner if it ever happens again.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150725_190025.jpg
  • IMG_20150725_190037.jpg
  • IMG_20150725_190050.jpg
  • IMG_20150725_190054.jpg

• Gtractor, wvbuzzmaster, KennyP and 7 others have said thanks

#2 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 07:11 PM

I used to get that every spring. (haven't for a few years, not enough snow/rain) Sump pumps are standard issue up here.

Question is, if you haven't had rain for a while, where is the water coming from?

Edited by Chopperhed, July 25, 2015 - 07:19 PM.

• KennyP, skyrydr2, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 07:51 PM

That's no fun. But look at the bright side. 350 a day is much better than what a contractor would of cost you a ton more.

My dad has fought water issues in his basement for years. He has a sump installed and it helps keep the build up down.
  • skyrydr2, boyscout862, superaben and 2 others have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 07:53 PM

I used to get that every spring. (haven't for a few years, not enough snow/rain) Sump pumps are standard issue up here.

Question is, if you haven't had rain for a while, where is the water coming from?

I'm also wondering where the water came from.

• skyrydr2, boyscout862 and Chopperhed have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,537 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 07:55 PM

Nice work, I resurrected my TLB this week and tried to move some boulders but it wasn't strong enough. Since you have gone this far, try to set the pipe lower than the footing and backfill with gravel around the pipe. I use perforated pipe and put in two lines a foot apart running parallel. That way if one plugs the other should still flow. I use filter fabric between the soil and the gravel  to prevent sand from filling in between the gravel over time. A veritcal stand pipe to the surface next to the foundation can help you to flush out the drain pipe when it starts to plug. Good Luck, Rick 

• skyrydr2, Cvans, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 08:10 PM

OK - so where did the water come from if it wasn't a broken pipe and it hadn't rained in several days? ?
  • Chopperhed said thank you

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,723 Thanks
  • 8,906 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 08:40 PM

You dug a bigger hole than I did today. Hope you get 'er patched up and draining.

• skyrydr2 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 08:40 PM

Looks like you are well on the way to getting it fixed.
My sons house is on a sandhill. In 2010 we got a lot of rain in August.
He called me and said my basement has caved in, can you come look at it and tell me what to do.
I went up and looked at it and about 1/3 of the west wall and about 10 ft of the north wall had caved in.
My brother-law is a masonry contractor and offered to fix it for materials and $500.
Good deal, and he has a sump pump running year round.
That taken care of, I went home and was woke up at 12:01 with an evacuation notice.
My home built 4 ft above grade had 2 ft of water in it for 10 days.
Total loss on the house and 1/2 the tools it had taken a lifetime to accumulate(tools were in my 28x28 garage at ground level).
That is how I came to buy a home on top of a hill and 8 miles from any river.

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 25, 2015 - 08:43 PM.

• MH81, Bruce Dorsi, skyrydr2 and 4 others have said thanks

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 08:55 PM

OK - so where did the water come from if it wasn't a broken pipe and it hadn't rained in several days? ?

I do not know how it is in Massachusetts but this year I have springs in a sidehill that I have not seen in 3 yrs.
  • skyrydr2 and Chopperhed have said thanks

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,537 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 09:02 PM

They say that location is the key to real estate. I say that topography ties with it. My wife and I spent years looking for the right land to build our new house. I finally found it but the soil was too bony. I bought the land and then had to buy a shovel dozer to handle the rocks. I had to build a screen to remove the rocks in order to use the soil for backfill. I ended up with 50% tailings and several big piles of 4" to 6' rocks.

My house has excellant solar exposure, sits directly on ledge, has double drainage pipes inside and outside the footings and it all drains to atmosphere. The Basement is at 510' elevation and it is all downhill for 25 miles to Long Island Sound. The nearest river is 1 mile but it is over 100' lower. When they try to sell me flood insurance I tell them that NYC will be under 500' of water before I flood, and by that time all the insurance companies will be bankrupt.

Taking care of the drainage can save alot of headaches but requires alot of forethought. I doubled my pipes for only $63 when I was building. It was cheap insurance. I hope that it all works out for you. Good Luck, Rick

• skyrydr2, oldedeeres and Oldford have said thanks

#11 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,333 Thanks
  • 1,320 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 04:57 AM

This week has been hell on earth! Tuesday night it started. Water !!! And it wasn't even raining or had been for a few days, when my basement decided to start taking on water !! So I think I have a leak at a pipe right? Wrong water is coming in through the floor to wall joints. ... Great !! I find the culprit wall and start looking for a machine to start digging, finally find one ,a new Hitachi 50 ,nice unit, and $350 a day! Well this is where I'm at now, a huge hole and soupy mud in the trench... Got to get the pipe in tomorrow as I did manage to get it unplugged and am going to install a new pipe for straight access to this corner if it ever happens again.

We both live in Gardner, let me tell ya, if you lose power, and you don't have a sump and a generator, plan on having a pool party !!!, Water table is unbelievable here !!! Oh ,,, BYOB
  • KennyP, skyrydr2, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#12 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 05:27 AM

The water table here is quite high this year and the landscape doesnt help... But it is working, just need to get the pipe layed and stoned and it will be all water down the pipe ....DOH!! I am getting pretty good with an ecavator lol
  • MH81, KennyP, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 07:00 AM

I hope it all works out as planned. Looks like you have it all figured out and are well on your way to getting it fixed. I guess this is just another spill over effect from that crazy winter we had. Luckily we have good drainage here. Lots of rock but very gravelly soil. 

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 08:14 AM

Man, I am sorry. That's a lot of very unexpected work.

I will be renting something similar in August to do some drain ditch cleanout and a field tile or two.
Renting for the week was cheaper by far. Basically, pay for four, get the rest free.

Any other projects you want done? call them and renegotiate?
  • skyrydr2 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#15 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,734 Thanks
  • 1,728 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 08:42 AM

Looks like a lot of work!, but look at the bright side, you get to run a mini excavator!!!!! :rocker2:

Edited by BTS, July 26, 2015 - 08:43 AM.

• skyrydr2 and Lmiller3358 have said thanks