#61 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,181 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 07:25 PM

Been busy doing other projects but finally got a little time to get back to the cover project.  Thanks to the help of WrenchinOnIt who was kind enough to send me the cover from his Estate Keeper I was finally able to work with an original cover to verify measurements and get a better idea how the original cover was constructed.  As Bruce Dorsi stated in an earlier post the original cover was bonded or glued to the seat padding - appears to have been a piece of fuzzy material almost like quilt bunting about a quarter of an inch thick between the cover and the padding where the pleats were.  I also found a short piece of black edge guard similar to the door edge guard I used on my seat pan tucked up in at the top of the original cover - it had long since left the seat pan edge where Bolens engineers intended it to stay to protect the cover.  There were some ink stampings on the back of the cover - maybe indicating who sewed the cover and a date code??  Attached are some pictures of the Estate Keeper cover (as you can see it has seem a few better days) and of a couple of covers I changed the lower side pieces on to reflect how the original cover was made but I still found the material wrinkled and puckered a bit more than I liked it to at the front corners.  I cut the back piece off the original cover so I could get the cover detached from the padding a bit easier and just for the heck of it I clamped it up to the back of the seat pan with the fold mark at the bottom where the material folded under the seat pan and discovered the original cover appears to have shrunk a good inch at the top. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Orignal Cover.jpg
  • 2 Original Cover.jpg
  • 2.5 Original Cover.jpg
  • 3 Original Cover WIth Foam Still Bonded.jpg
  • 3 Piece Of Edge Guard  Original Maybe.jpg
  • 4 Right Front Corner.jpg
  • 5 Left Front Corner.jpg
  • 6 Lower Side Piece.jpg
  • 7 Lower SIde Piece 2.jpg
  • 8 Date Code Maybe Inside Of Cover Where It Was Bonded.jpg
  • 9 Back Piece Removed From Cover.jpg
  • 10 Back Piece.jpg
  • 11 Inside Back Piece Sewn by Number 12 Maybe.jpg
  • 12 Back Piece Where Bottom Fold SHould Be.jpg
  • 13 Top About One Inch Too Short.jpg
  • 14 Cover Made From Original Right Side.jpg
  • 15 Wrinkles In Front Corner.jpg
  • 16 Wrinkles In Left Front Corner.jpg
  • 17 Cover Made From Pattern Wrinles At Front.jpg
  • 18 Left Front Corner Close Up.jpg
  • 19 Right Front Corner Close Up.jpg

• Alc, Bruce Dorsi and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#62 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,181 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 07:30 PM

Also had the help of chubien who was kind enough to send me a few pictures of his 1050 cover which gave me a good idea of how the cover was secured at the bottom under the pan.  It appears the original covers did have some wrinkling at the front corners when tied.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1050 Cover Back Top.jpg
  • 1050 Cover Bottom.jpg
  • 1050 Cover Top.jpg

• Alc, Bruce Dorsi and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#63 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,181 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 08:09 PM

Decided to make a new support to bolt the seat pan to while I was working on the cover and finalizing the pattern as the seat spring was scratching things a bit.  Welded up a support out of some one inch flat bar and one inch angle iron - put some door weatherstrip on the bottom feet to keep it from scratching things.  Attached are a few pictures of it and the final cover version.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Seat Support.jpg
  • 2 Seat Support.jpg
  • 3 Door Weatherstrip To Keep From Scratching.jpg
  • 4 Bolted To Seat Pan.jpg
  • 5 Holding Up Seat Pan.jpg
  • 6 Final Cover Sewn From Pattern.jpg
  • 7 Final Cover Sewn.jpg
  • 8 Final Cover.jpg
  • 9 The Bottom Side.jpg
  • 10 Back Piece.jpg
  • 11 Inside Out.jpg
  • 12 Inside Out.jpg

• Alc and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#64 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,181 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 08:15 PM

Here are pictures of the final cover version on the seat - it has very little puckering and wrinkling at the front corners and fits a little nicer than the original in my opinion.  I decided to go with the drawstring being tied at the rear in the centre and using two tie wraps to keep the ends of the bows secured and out of the road - they do a nice job of keeping the string out of sight in and should keep the bow from coming undone.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Cover On Seat.jpg
  • 2 Cover On Seat.jpg
  • 3 Cover On Seat.jpg
  • 4 Cover On Seat.jpg
  • 5 Bottom View.jpg
  • 6 Rope Tied In Centre.jpg
  • 7 Tie Wraps In Position.jpg
  • 8 Tie Wrap Close Up.jpg
  • 9 Tie Wraps Pulled Tight.jpg
  • 10 Tie Wrap Tight Close Up.jpg
  • 11 Rope Held Up Out Of Road.jpg
  • 12 Picture Without Flash.jpg
  • 13 Picture WIthout Flash.jpg

• Alc, KennyP and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#65 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,764 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 10:25 PM

As I said before,WOW !!!!,Super job,I may have another project for you I'll pm you and see what you think
  • WrenchinOnIt and 29 Chev have said thanks

#66 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 02:26 AM

Great job on these covers. You have a great talent that is getting harder and harder to find these days. Keep up the great work!
  • 29 Chev said thank you

#67 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,442 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 04:53 AM

I just looked at aftermarket covers and not much variety,,,nothing as nice as what you are stitching together.  My current seat cover is paint....

• 29 Chev said thank you

#68 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 05:20 AM

Years ago I helped my mom make seat covers and a custom boat seat and I have used a regular home owners sewing machine for little projects I know how hard it is to do the work your doing , not sure some people can appreciate the quality of hard work it is straight seams , the fitting ect 

:worshippy1:  :worshippy1:  :worshippy1:  :worshippy1:  :worshippy1:     

Edited by Alc, September 24, 2015 - 05:21 AM.

• 29 Chev said thank you

#69 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 06:13 AM

Nice job there! :thumbs:

Is that seat pan anything like the LK seat pan?

• 29 Chev said thank you

#70 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,181 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 06:12 PM

Nice job there! :thumbs:

Is that seat pan anything like the LK seat pan?

I am not familiar with the LK Series - did find this brochure in the Manuals section - http://gardentractor...-brochure-1967/

Judging by the pictures the seat looks similar on the bottom but the back is not as high - perhaps someone else has a picture of an LK seat or seat pan they could post.

• KennyP said thank you

#71 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 06:31 PM

The early LK's used a round pan seat, Later models used the same seat as found on the 850's with the short back except they were black in color

• KennyP and 29 Chev have said thanks

#72 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,181 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 06:38 PM

Years ago I helped my mom make seat covers and a custom boat seat and I have used a regular home owners sewing machine for little projects I know how hard it is to do the work your doing , not sure some people can appreciate the quality of hard work it is straight seams , the fitting ect 

:worshippy1:  :worshippy1:  :worshippy1:  :worshippy1:  :worshippy1:     

You are correct - it is a challenge to do work like this and have it turn out looking the way you want as vinyl is sticky, stretchy and thick when you are trying to sew several layers where seams cross and pieces join.  It can also be frustrating when you sew two side pieces on and find one is half an inch longer than the other because you pulled on it too hard but I am slowly getting better at it. The industrial machine with the walking foot is quite a step up from the old Raymond machine I used to use - it came with a clutch motor but I was able to purchase a new style servo motor for it so I can control the stitch rate much better - I have it set so it sews about one to two stitches a second (about 300 PRM) when I am doing the covers which helps me to keep the material straight as I feed it through.  The machine definitely gets credit for helping make them turn out as good as they do.

• Alc said thank you

#73 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 07:46 PM

Don't they sometimes use glue to hold the vinyl together while you sew ?
  • 29 Chev said thank you

#74 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,181 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 08:10 PM

Don't they sometimes use glue to hold the vinyl together while you sew ?

Some people may - I use a bag stapler and some small spring clamps to help hold the pieces together when I first start to join them.  I have found that it works better for me once I start to join two pieces to feed them together by hand as I go - seem to get less puckers this way.  I have seen on some sewing sites where a form of two sided tape was used.  For me glue would be messy and more difficult to use than sewing the vinyl the way I do as I have Arthritis in the hands and things tend to sometimes slip out of my grasp (not complaining as I know there are lots of other people who suffer far worse than I do with joint pain and other ailments) - would be afraid the glue would end up in places it should not and in the wrong quantity.  I do use an adhesive to hold the foam, backing and vinyl for when I make the pleated section but is sprayed on surfaces that don't show - it does a nice job but also adds to the cost of the final product. 

• Alc, WrenchinOnIt and boyscout862 have said thanks

#75 MrFixit1599 OFFLINE  

MrFixit1599
  • Member No: 10251
  • 71 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 09:15 PM

It would appear the design is close to finalized.  Have you come up with a price yet?  I can verify my seat pan is the same size with the measurements you posted.  I would love to have that orange seat back.  The black cracked crap that I got from Fleet Farm just doesn't cut it for me.

• boyscout862 said thank you