#32 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,163 Thanks
  • 1,218 posts

Posted July 28, 2015 - 08:14 PM

Worked away and got the rest of the pieces marked out, cut and sewn and now have a red cover.  The red vinyl is a bit more pliable than the black I used so it did not pull together quite the same at the bottom and I added about an inch of length to the rear piece so it now rolls under the pan at the back - I will play with it a bit more tomorrow night if I get time and see if I can get it to look a little neater where the draw string is.  Here are some pictures of how it turned out - the front pleat still rolls down a little but the top and back seem to fit fairly well in my opinion. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Bottom View.jpg
  • 2 Top View.jpg
  • 3 Right Side.jpg
  • 4 Rear View.jpg
  • 5 Rear Lower View.jpg
  • 6 Left Side.jpg
  • 7 Top View.jpg
  • 8 Front View.jpg

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#33 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted July 29, 2015 - 07:01 AM

Thank you, again,  for taking the time to share your craftsmanship and experience, as well as answering our questions !    :worshippy1:

The foam you showed is indeed the type used originally.

I know that the original Bolens seat cushions had the padding bonded (glued?) to the vinyl cover.  ......I installed many seat covers at our dealership, since the tractors were shipped with the covers not installed on the seat pan.

My memory is playing with me right now, and I'm trying to recall if the drawstring was tied at the center of the front or rear, instead of at a corner as yours is.  .....I do remember that the drawstring was long enough to loop the excess length (after tying) around the studs, so that when the seat was bolted down, the ends were clamped in place.

• Bolens 1000, Alc, awol and 2 others have said thanks

#34 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,163 Thanks
  • 1,218 posts

Posted July 29, 2015 - 07:44 PM

Thanks for the information on verifying the foam on my other seat pan is the original and also for the knowledge that the covers were installed at the dealer level as well as how the cord was secured - was this the recommended practise from the factory to put the cord around the studs or did your shop come up with that idea?  I believe the cover I made differs from the original at the rear as I have found a few pictures of the seats with what appears to be the original covers and there appears to be a longer piece underneath - got some accurate measurements on the pleats and the join locations from a member on another site that helped me to get the cover this close.  I would like to find an old cover that is complete enough to make accurate patterns from -have a couple of feelers out and will wait to see what turns up.  I am used to seat covers on automobiles being snug fits along the sides and bottom but I am reaching the conclusion that the drawstring was not designed to be pulled tight but rather just gently pulled on and then secured allowing the cover to be held in place but the lower pieces not drawn in tightly against the sides of the seat pan.  Her are a few pictures I have of what I believe are original covers. 

Attached Thumbnails

• SDC12761.JPG
  • Bolens 1000 Seat.jpg
  • gallery_8595_508_1328956288_8768.jpg

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#35 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,163 Thanks
  • 1,218 posts

Posted July 29, 2015 - 08:09 PM

Reworked the two lower side pieces at the rear by slanting them towards the front as they go down and tried not pulling the cord so tight and this is how the cover looks now (hope you will forgive me for posting what seem to be repeat pictures but I wanted to show the end result which now looks reasonably good at the bottom in my humble opinion).  I think that this is about as close as I can come as far as duplicating the original cover to compliment these tractors that were made so well and refuse to die. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 View Underneath.jpg
  • 2 Right Side.jpg
  • 3 Left Rear Corner.jpg
  • 4 Right Rear Corner.jpg
  • 5 Rear View.jpg
  • 6 Top View.jpg
  • 7 Left Side View.jpg
  • 8 Right Front Corner.jpg
  • 9 Left Front Corner.jpg
  • 10 Front View.jpg

• Bruce Dorsi, WrenchinOnIt and Paulgo have said thanks

#36 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted July 30, 2015 - 08:52 AM

Very nice, there must definitely be a market for this, I would love to get a cover looking original like yours after I restore my 1050 and 850.
Tubeframes.com also makes them to order but I have yet to see a picture of one.
  • 29 Chev said thank you

#37 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,163 Thanks
  • 1,218 posts

Posted July 30, 2015 - 07:29 PM

Did a quick seat swap tonight on the 1050 I use to cut the grass in the summer.  The first three pictures are of the seat and cover that is held on with hog rings that has been on the tractor since Jan 2014.  The rest of the pictures are of the seat with the new cover - will try it out for a week or so and see how well the cover stays in place as I get on and off the tractor as well as see if there are any areas of the cover that are getting pressure put on them which could lead to premature tearing.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Seat Cover From 2013.jpg
  • 2 Seat Cover From 2013.jpg
  • 3 Seat Cover From 2013.jpg
  • 4 Seat WIth New Cover On Tractor.jpg
  • 5 Seat With New Cover.jpg
  • 6 Seat With New Cover.jpg
  • 7 Seat With New Cover.jpg
  • 8 Seat WIth New Cover.jpg
  • 9 1050 Tractor.jpg
  • 10 1050 Tractor.jpg
  • 11 1050 Tractor.jpg
  • 12 1050 Seat On Tractor.jpg

• Alc, Bruce Dorsi and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#38 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 07:40 AM

Thanks for the information on verifying the foam on my other seat pan is the original and also for the knowledge that the covers were installed at the dealer level (Sometimes my memory works!) as well as how the cord was secured - was this the recommended practise from the factory to put the cord around the studs or did your shop come up with that idea? (That was just something I did to keep the loose ends from flopping around, and with the ends secured, the bow should not untie.) I believe the cover I made differs from the original at the rear as I have found a few pictures of the seats with what appears to be the original covers and there appears to be a longer piece underneath - got some accurate measurements on the pleats and the join locations from a member on another site that helped me to get the cover this close.  I would like to find an old cover that is complete enough to make accurate patterns from -have a couple of feelers out and will wait to see what turns up.  I am used to seat covers on automobiles being snug fits along the sides and bottom but I am reaching the conclusion that the drawstring was not designed to be pulled tight but rather just gently pulled on and then secured allowing the cover to be held in place but the lower pieces not drawn in tightly against the sides of the seat pan.  Here are a few pictures I have of what I believe are original covers. 

The 3 seats in these pics appear to not be fitting properly, probably due to age and compression.

I seem to remember that the drawstring needed to be pretty tight to keep the cover from shifting on the seat pan.

Your new covers look great, and I doubt most people would detect any difference between an original and yours once it is installed.

My recollection of the 1050 Bolens seat cushions is that they were reddish-orange, or orange-ish red if you prefer, not a bright red or a bright orange.

Once again, thank you for sharing your incredible work! :thumbs:

• 29 Chev said thank you

#39 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 11:37 AM

Wow,what a super job your doing,I also want to thank you for this post,I haven't made it back down home yet to check on an original seat cover,will keep you posted
  • WrenchinOnIt and 29 Chev have said thanks

#40 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 12:57 PM

Looks good!

On the original covers the back material was longer and wraped around under the seat pan , there was also a "Reinforcement" kit that was available which was extra padding to add to the top of the back rest.

• 29 Chev said thank you

#41 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 07:07 PM

Looks good!
  • 29 Chev said thank you

#42 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,163 Thanks
  • 1,218 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 08:05 PM

Thanks for the kind words and the feedback.  Tried out the seat tonight cutting grass for about an hour until I got rained out and the cover seems to stay in position on the foam nicely the way it is tied but I think I will have to try and find denser foam for the pan as I noticed that when I was sitting on it the foam was compressed right down to the metal pan and putting some strain on the cover at the back.  As I have stated I do not have an original cover so I am using pictures to guesstimate the colour and fit so I am looking for input on the cover as there is no point in making them if people do not want them because they are not close enough to the original in looks, fit or colour and also if they are too expensive.  I kept track of the time it took to make the last cover and doing a rough calculation of time and materials I am thinking the price for the red cover would be in the 80 - 85 dollar range plus shipping (This is in Canadian dollars so you will have to convert it into US funds for anyone in the USA).  Also this cover would need to reuse the original foam or require new foam which would be an added expense.  Here is a link to the vinyl that the red cover is made out of - it is designed for cold weather use and seems to stand up well as far as wear and tear  http://www.jtsoutdoo...&scBrand=0= .  All comments are appreciated - both good and bad as this will determine whether the covers get made as is or if I try and find a colour that is closer to the original or if I stop because they will be too expensive (I realize there is a cover that someone sells on ebay that is less money but it does not have the pleats or fit quite as nice in my opinion). 

Thanks again for your input.

• Alc, awol, WrenchinOnIt and 1 other said thanks

#43 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 08:43 PM

I think for the time you have in making it and the super look of it,the price is very good,the one on ebay isn't even close and not near as nice and priced not that far from yours,I think you should be able to sell them with no problem,again,nice job !!!!!
  • WrenchinOnIt, 29 Chev and Paulgo have said thanks

#44 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 07:13 PM

29chev, you can count me in for a cover for my 1050 if you decide to go ahead with production!
I'm eyeing a 1050 with a decent original cover still on it, if it comes through and if could help you out let me know, I have family in London on and go down that way regularly.

Edited by chubien, August 01, 2015 - 07:30 PM.

• 29 Chev said thank you

#45 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,163 Thanks
  • 1,218 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for the two votes of confidence.

I did some research on foam and cutting it with an electric knife - Thanks to all who suggested that as an idea - it does work very nicely.  After work today I went looking for something that would work for foam padding and an electric knife and came home with two kneeling pads at $12.99 each and a new knife for $20.00.  The pads were a little pricey but I decided that I had better fix the foam problem in the seat before I wrecked the cover as it was getting pulled badly when I sat on it.  The kneeling pads were only 1" thick where as the original seat padding appears to be 1-1/4" but they did a nice job in my opinion.  The first step was to remove the cover off the seat with the original padding so I could use it as a pattern so I took the cover off and set the pieces up the way they appeared to be originally judging by the brown stain - as you can see the back piece was about an inch below the top of the pan - not sure if this was the way Bolens made them or if something shrunk or if my padding is missing a piece at the top (maybe that was why they offered an extra padding kit as Bolens 1000 mentioned in one of his posts)?  I decided that when I would cut the new foam I would leave the back piece taller so it was about 1/4" higher than the seat pan. As you can see the pieces have slits cut about half way through on the backside to allow the pieces to bend where the seat pan bends and that my padding is a little thin at the front of the pan - probably due to wear and tear over the years.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Original Padding On Seat.jpg
  • 2 Original Padding On Seat.jpg
  • 3 Original Pad Thickness.jpg
  • 4 Original Pad Thickness.jpg
  • 5 Orignal Pad BAck Thickness.jpg
  • 6 A Little Thin At The Front.jpg
  • 7 Slit Cut On Backside.jpg
  • 8 Slit Cut On Backside.jpg
  • 9 Slit On Upright Piece On Back.jpg
  • 10 Slit On Upright Piece On Back.jpg

Edited by 29 Chev, August 01, 2015 - 08:14 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks