79 replies to this topic

#16 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 08:53 AM

Some of the early 70's models had the tan seats. I will get you a picture or two of the one on my 853.

#17 Justin2655 OFFLINE  

Justin2655
  • Member No: 11487
  • 204 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 09:26 AM

I agree that looks very good! I also would be interested in a seat if you ever do end up going and deciding to sell some, very nice work!

Justin

#18 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 09:42 AM

Very nice work!
My wife is a very talented seamstress, but doesn't have an industrial machine.
I wish she did!
  • Bolens800uk said thank you

#19 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,164 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 10:07 AM

Very nice work!My wife is a very talented seamstress, but doesn't have an industrial machine.I wish she did!

Are you sure she said she have not got one? Just wondering that all due to your tag line!
  • KC9KAS said thank you

#20 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,131 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 02:04 PM

Thanks again for the very kind words.  Reworked the first cover and replaced the two lower side pieces and the front piece in it and after a few tries I came up with a cover that in my opinion fits nicely.  If you look closely at the pictures of the front corners of the first cover you can see where it is pulled down at the very front edges which was forcing the pleated piece to be pulled up and causing the first and second pleat to roll.  The new pieces I added helps to correct that problem - the pleat still rolls a little with no weight on it but if you set an object (such as my stapler) on it the roll flattens out so with time I think it will sit very close to flat.  The lower front where the rope goes through is not perfect but it is close enough that I can now make a good pattern for the side and front pieces and when I get time I will try and make a cover in red and see how it turns out.  Here are some pictures of the reworked cover. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Front View.jpg
  • 2 Front View WIth Weight Of Stapler.jpg
  • 3 Right Side View.jpg
  • 4 Left Side View.jpg
  • 5 Bottom View.jpg
  • 6 Right Corner View.jpg
  • 7 Left Front Corner View.jpg
  • 8 Top View Rear.jpg
  • 9 Top View.jpg

• Alc, Bruce Dorsi, WrenchinOnIt and 4 others have said thanks

#21 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,169 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 08:07 PM

What are you using under the vinyl ?

#22 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,131 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 08:56 PM

What are you using under the vinyl ?

If you are talking between the seat pan and the cover it is just two pieces of 2" thick foam cut to the shape of the seat pan.  If you are talking how the pleats are formed  I am using 1/2" thick foam with a piece of cloth as a backing to hold the thread - the foam is glued to the vinyl and cloth with 3M general trim adhesive to hold things in place while they are sewed - I may look into getting what is known as sew foam which has a backing already applied to it so that you can sew pleats without having to add a cloth backing (more money but would save a little time and cost of the cloth backing).  Here are some pictures that will give you an idea of the steps involved to construct the cover which is why it takes several hours to make it (also takes time to mark out the pieces and cut them out accurately).

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Seat Pan With Bottom Foam.jpg
  • 2 Seat Pan With Bottom And Top Foam.jpg
  • 3 Vinyl Glued To Piece Of Half Inch Foam.jpg
  • 4 Cloth Glued To Bottom Of Foam.jpg
  • 5 Half Inch Foam Between Vinyl And Cloth.jpg
  • 6 Pleat Lines Marked Out With Grease Pencil.jpg
  • 7 First Pleat Sewn.jpg
  • 8 First Pleat Cloth Side.jpg
  • 9 Cross Pleats Sewn.jpg
  • 10 Edge Sewn And Ready To Sew Lengthwise Pleat.jpg
  • 11 Legthwise Pleat Sewn.jpg
  • 12 Top Piece Added.jpg
  • 13 Bottom Piece Sewn On.jpg
  • 14 Left And Right Side Pieces Added.jpg
  • 15 Folded In Half To Trim So Both Edges Are Identiical.jpg
  • 16 Lower Pieces And Upper Filler Added.jpg
  • 17 Back Added.jpg
  • 18 Pieces Cut Out 1.jpg
  • 19 Pieces Cut Out 2.jpg

• Alc, Bruce Dorsi, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks

#23 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 09:04 PM

That is nice work.  Just so you know, I had the seat on my Bolens 850 redone this summer for $125 at my local upholstery shop.  It looks just like the original.  I thought then that I should get some made and resell them since I figured that there would be a great market for them.

Take it from me, that seat really set off that Bolens restoration.  I bet you would do well making those.  :thumbs:

Ben W. 

• boyscout862 and 29 Chev have said thanks

#24 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,131 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 09:13 PM

That is nice work.  Just so you know, I had the seat on my Bolens 850 redone this summer for $125 at my local upholstery shop.  It looks just like the original.  I thought then that I should get some made and resell them since I figured that there would be a great market for them.

Take it from me, that seat really set off that Bolens restoration.  I bet you would do well making those.  :thumbs:

Ben W. 

Thanks for the kind words.  Do you have any pictures of the seat you had redone - would love to see it.

Good to see your back on and posting again - hope things are going well.

• boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#25 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,169 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted July 27, 2015 - 06:05 AM

Thank you for the additional pics and descriptions.

Yes, I was asking about the foam padding.   ....My understanding is that no one makes the type of foamed rubber which was common 50 years ago. 

I know there are several densities of today's (polyurethane?) foams, with some holding their shape better than others.  ...Do you have a preference?

#26 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,131 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted July 27, 2015 - 07:37 PM

Thank you for the additional pics and descriptions.

Yes, I was asking about the foam padding.   ....My understanding is that no one makes the type of foamed rubber which was common 50 years ago. 

I know there are several densities of today's (polyurethane?) foams, with some holding their shape better than others.  ...Do you have a preference?

I am not an expert on foam but if I had a choice I would prefer the older foam that was used in the 60's.  Since I did not have the original foam for this seat I am using a piece of newer foam that is not as dense and as a result compresses much easier.  Attached are a couple of pictures of the foam that came with my other 1050 seat (I believe it is original given the way it is smoothly cut - I added a 2" x 2" filler piece of the newer foam at the bottom rear to force the rear piece up a little higher) and it is made of a much denser material similar to what they used for carpet undelay in cars in the 70's and 80's.  I have sat on both seats for three or four hours at a time cutting grass and blowing snow and do not notice a huge difference in comfort.  The green foam has been in use for over a year and seems to hold it shape not bad - not sure what it will be like in five or ten years.  If you were looking for stiffer foam you might check out some rear seats from cars at an auto wreckers or possibly some layers of carpet ends.  I would suggest that regardless of what you use for padding that you wrap it in plastic so that if the seat got water on it the foam would stay dry.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Original Foam Pad.jpg
  • 2 Original Foam Pad.jpg

• Alc, Bruce Dorsi, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks

#27 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,131 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted July 27, 2015 - 07:57 PM

Started working on a red cover tonight - here is what I have so far.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Pleated Piece Bottom View.jpg
  • 2 Upper Piece.jpg
  • 3 Upper Piece Back Side.jpg
  • 4 Lower Piece.jpg
  • 5 Lower Piece Back Side.jpg
  • 6 Pleated Piece Sewn And Trimmed.jpg
  • 7 Pleated Piece Sewn And Trimmed.jpg

• LPBolens, Bruce Dorsi, WrenchinOnIt and 1 other said thanks

#28 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted July 28, 2015 - 05:30 AM

When my brother and I were helping my Mom empty her house we came across an electric carving knife , my brother said to keep it so if I ever needed to cut foam that would work . I was wondering if you used that or something else to cut the foam ?

#29 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,131 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted July 28, 2015 - 07:47 PM

When my brother and I were helping my Mom empty her house we came across an electric carving knife , my brother said to keep it so if I ever needed to cut foam that would work . I was wondering if you used that or something else to cut the foam ?

I used a pair of large scissors to cut the foam - rough cut it a little large and then slowly trimmed it to shape.  I have never tried an electric carving knife but will keep my eyes open for one and give it a try if I find one.

#30 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted July 28, 2015 - 08:03 PM

I used a pair of large scissors to cut the foam - rough cut it a little large and then slowly trimmed it to shape.  I have never tried an electric carving knife but will keep my eyes open for one and give it a try if I find one.

You can find them cheap at places like Goodwill or Habitat Restore.

Another thing, which you are probably aware of, is the two types of foam. Interior grade, like found in your couch, is open cell. Exterior grade, such as is used in boat cushions, is closed cell.  Paul

• Alc, Bruce Dorsi, WrenchinOnIt and 1 other said thanks