• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Trent Thomson OFFLINE  

Trent Thomson

• Member No: 2375
  • 188 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 09:37 PM

Hello folks. I'm new to the group and searching for a flywheel for a Wisconsin S7D for my 63 bolens 800. I burned (fire and smoke) out the coil/magneto a few years ago and was able to find a new one but still can't get fire. Then went with new points and condenser, still no fire. The local small engine guy thinks the magnets in the flywheel are too weak, so now the hunt begins. Only problem is that I need the obsolete Fairbanks-Morris flywheel, not the Wico version. Anyone have a spare one kicking around for a decent price? I hate to give up now as i want to restore it this spring if possible. Thanks guys

#2 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 10:16 PM

Slip a battery powered coil in there, paint it brown and you wont even notice it
  • Trent Thomson said thank you

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 06, 2011 - 05:13 AM

I think you will have a hard time finding a flywheel. Is it possible to replace the magnets in a flywheel? I never have but with everything else that can be done I don't see why that wouldn't be one of them. You could easily put a regular coil in like Mike mentioned, yes it may not be original but it is how a lot of them were repaired back in the day also. If you paint it up and mount it in a good spot you will never even notice it. The ones that get me are the ones that choose the worst spots to mount a coil, it is like they wanted to make sure to put a hole in the dash, or the grill, or the hood LOL

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,699 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted April 06, 2011 - 05:18 AM

Slip a battery powered coil in there, paint it brown and you wont even notice it

:ditto:

Thats what I have done on all my magneto run tractors. all you got to do is slip the 12volt coil in and your all set. No more magneto to search for or go broke buying a NOS one.

#5 Trent Thomson OFFLINE  

Trent Thomson

• Member No: 2375
  • 188 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 06:49 AM

What a sweet sound. I finally picked up a 12 volt coil and tried it. She hasn't run in over three years and with less than one full crank , away she went. I had it rebuilt about 6 years ago and hardly ever used it . Maybe 25 hours or so. I forgot how nice it runs and was great to hear running again. No drive yet though as I am in the final stage of a restore. Just need belts and paint on the bonnet now. Will post pics soon

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,699 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 06:53 AM

Glad to hear its running