3 replies to this topic

#1 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 12:54 PM

I picked up a #2 tiller the other day with a 1650 (pictures to follow..). The tractor is a "project" and came in pieces. A benefit since I would have taken it apart to paint and rehab anyway.... But the reason for the post.....

The tiller doesn't seem to want to turn. When I try to turn the large pulley on the back of the tiller, it moves a degree or two, then stops. The tines just barely move.

The PO never used it and it has been sitting for a while, so I don't know its history or how long it sat/if it might have been broke, etc. The right angle gearbox was included and works fine, so no problem there...

I have the owners manual, that basically says that the gearbox is sealed and non-user serviceable! Cant find a service manual for it either.

Any suggestions? Does anybody have a parts diagram, service procedures, etc? I'm hoping that it's just froze from non-use and not broke inside. Gonna spray visible areas with penetrant oil and see if I can work it loose before I break it open. No visible signs of distress or damage.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 03:02 PM

This is the operators manual:  http://gardentractor...-tiller-manual/. This service manual has a little about a tiller in the back  http://gardentractor...50-service-man/  . I'll look for the tiller manual in my files. Good Luck, Rick

#3 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 09:07 PM

Thanks Boyscout! I had the tiller owners manual, and the owners manual from the 1250/1650, but not the service manual. Thanks to all y'all on here who help stock the manual section!!!

I was able to spray the seals and get the pulley/tines to turn. Still kind of stiff, but able to turn by hand. I used some PB blaster and am letting it soak overnight, then will work with it again some tomorrow. 

I was also able to find an exploded parts list on a couple of the parts house sites. Most of the PARTS are not available, but they have the diagrams.

I THINK I can take loose one of the side covers and check out the gearcase, flush it and add new oil/grease - without taking everything apart. Since I don't have it's history, I want to make sure everything is ok before I put it into service.

Anybody with any experience in servicing these tillers, love to hear your advice and experiences.

#4 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 500 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 09:08 PM

Here's a picture out of the parts book.  It could be stuck from sitting or there's 2 chains inside and when they get worn there's no adjustment to tighten them up so they can knuckle over on themselves and bind or break.  Hope this helps.              Stewart

20150725_220324.jpg