• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,643 Thanks
  • 1,674 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 11:03 PM

Well, as you all know, I got new AG tires for my Kubota, the first time trying them out (mowing) I broke out the center of a front wheel.

I have been welding these wheels together for a couple years now, the PO used a impact (or something) to tighten the wheels and he must of over tightened them. These wheels are cast iron and the center of them are just shattered. I have welded and brazed them. It would hold for a month or two then start cracking again. Well I guess one cracked again and I didn't know it. When I was mowing I turned and off came the wheel. So here I am new back tires and now no front wheels. I got to looking and I could get new front wheels for $125.00 each (ouch) and I thought I could go a cheaper rout then that. I ended up finding some boat trailer rims that had to small of a bolt pattern, I ended up cutting the center out of the rim and welding in another center and making my own bolt pattern. While I had the front wheels off, I went a head and pulled the front hubs and ordered new bearings, the ones in them were shot and the front hubs had a bad wobble. I had to wait a couple days for the bearings to come in, I went ahead and added rear wheel weights and fluid filled the back tires while I was waiting. I then got the bearings and everything I needed to put it all together so I could finally test out the back tires. I stuck on one front hub and then started on the other. I'm not sure what happened but somehow I knocked out the first 2 threads in the locking nut for the hub :wallbanging:, I knew I would half to wait till the next day when the local hardware store would be open. I though I would go ahead and mount the front tires on the new (modified) front rims. Got one on and aired up. Got the other on, aired up and then it went flat :wallbanging:. So I was then completely done for the day.

This morning I got to the hardware and I borrowed a tap and got the threads straitened out. I also dropped the tire off at the tire shop and he got it patched up. I got home, went to unload the tire and it was flat again. I then hauled it back to the tire  shop and he said it needed a new tube which wouldn't be in until Monday :mad2: So I then took it home and yanked out the tube (which his patch was falling off and the tube was fine), put a bunch of bead sealant on the rim/tire and made it tubeless. Got everything on and heading back out mowing. I mowed for about 30 minutes and then I blow a hydraulic hose on my home built power steering  :wallbanging:. I guess it's back to the hardware tomorrow!

Attached Thumbnails

• Kubota Front Hubs 015.jpg
  • Kubota Front Hubs 011.jpg
  • Kubota Front Hubs 035.jpg
  • Kubota Front Wheels 001.jpg

• Gtractor, Alc, wvbuzzmaster and 4 others have said thanks

#2 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,522 Thanks
  • 3,067 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 11:56 PM

"That which doesn't break you makes you stronger", ----or something like that. You get an A+ for perseverance for sure.
  • Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#3 Cvans OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,321 Thanks
  • 4,916 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 12:04 AM

About now I would say it's time to go fishing but I wouldn't get in a boat if I were you.  :(

• Gtractor, KennyP, JDBrian and 2 others have said thanks

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 12:45 AM

I have similar problems from time to time. I will tell you a good one, and it will make you feel way better.

I had a trip to go to FCVAEC Summer show this year (yes I did make it) and I had just gone to the FCVAEC Plow day a couple months before (this is important). So here is how this plays out on my truck. I had a blown out muffler all thru winter, but knew the pipes were good, so I bough a $150 muffler two weeks before plow day. Crawled underneath to start installing when I found the tailpipe tht goes over the axle comes off the back of the stock muffler and 90 degrees up immediately... Meaning replacing the muffler only was no longer an option. So back to the parts store where I learn yes, this is normal, buy $125 worth of pipes ahead and behind the muffler and it should go right in. Now one has to buy all these parts individually because there is no "value package" of these parts. But anyway, installation went excellent and I even fixed the falling down heat shield ahead of the muffler. Went to plow day and back no issue.

Now let's fast forward to the morning of me leaving for the summer show. I had the other trailer loaded with 1000 pounds worth of tractors, the trailer weighs 900 empty, and has a 3500 pound axle, and I built it myself 7 years ago. I was only 3 miles from home when I looked in the mirror and saw a problem. The drivers side of the trailer was sitting on the axle.... So now I was disgusted, as it was a design flaw in my shackle hanger location. So I make the u turn to head back tot he house to regroup and leave one tractor behind.

The 3 miles driving back home were worse. I had a noise now!! Once home the trailer had corrected itself, and I needed a test to see what was going on with the noise. With a spotter roadside I drove up the road, noise and all. Stopped, returned, and learned it was the truck and not the trailer... And it was a heat shield. This is where my luck hits... It was the heat shield above the muffler this time... Which can only be removed or installed (via factory bolts) by removing the muffler... Did I mention I had the muffler out if the way a month prior...

Needless to say I spent 15 minutes with a self drilling screw, plumbing strapping, a 1/4" bolt, and 2 fender washers to make a new support method for that heat shield. By the way, if anyone that owns a 2004-up Ford F-150 needs pictures of the method, let me know. I love my truck, just wish the roads were better to drive it on lol. I do my own work to my vehicles if I can... As I have yet to found an honest shop within 40 minutes of me...
  • Gtractor, Alc, tractorgarden and 5 others have said thanks

#5 propane1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,865 Thanks
  • 3,108 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 03:22 AM

Rough day or two. Noel
  • boyscout862 and BTS have said thanks

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,604 Thanks
  • 38,986 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 05:24 AM

Dang! What a run of issues! Good luck!

#7 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,460 Thanks
  • 7,347 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 05:40 AM

We all have those kind of days. Wednesday, I started my Ford 2000 to use it and the clutch collapsed. I quit for the day. Thursday, I got my Ford 4500 going and used it to do the work and found a couple of hydraulic fittings leaking(they were new last summer). I tightened them and worked some more and noticed the generator idiot light had come on. The regulator was new last summer. Tested and there is only 12.4 volts. I decided to do something else. I had two flats on a trailer so I went to the pile of spares. Found 3 possibilities on 3 different style wheels. One wheel has severe rust as does the two on the trailer. Was going to use the tire changer to break everything down but the air hose split. I quit. I will work on other projects today and hope that they go better. Good Luck, Rick
  • BTS and propane1 have said thanks

#8 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,713 Thanks
  • 864 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 06:07 AM

its those types of days that make us really appreciate the days when things go right!
  • Cvans, boyscout862, BTS and 2 others have said thanks

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,663 Thanks
  • 28,314 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 06:24 AM

I hear ya buddy, we all have days like that. Sounds like you need to do what we call the BarnYard Shuffle, because you stepped in "something" :D
That reminds me, I started a thread about a day like that. A long time ago, let me find it.

EDIT : here it is: http://gardentractor...own/#entry84518

#10 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,118 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 07:56 AM

Welcome to MY world!

• BTS said thank you

#11 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,450 Thanks
  • 7,615 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 11:38 AM

By the way, if anyone that owns a 2004-up Ford F-150 needs pictures of the method, let me know.

Well there's your problem!

• BTS said thank you

#12 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,215 Thanks
  • 29,686 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 11:46 AM

Welcome to MY world!

Same here!  

• BTS said thank you

#13 Cat385B ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,295 Thanks
  • 8,666 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 12:17 PM

Do they sell beer where you guys live?
  • KennyP and BTS have said thanks

#14 larrybl OFFLINE  

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,762 Thanks
  • 3,236 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 07:21 PM

I won't mention my oil leak issue. but I do have over $500.00 invested in a GT muffler. :(

• KennyP and BTS have said thanks

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,643 Thanks
  • 1,674 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 10:57 PM

Thanks all, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has everything happen at once!.

I got the hydraulic hose this morning and I had it installed in a couple minutes. Went out and finished mowing. I then took off the mower and played around with the loader trying out the tires and added weight. Everything worked perfect, I then started making a old cultivator I have into 3-pt and then I ran out of gas in the torch, I knew I was getting low, but I didn't know I was out. I will get a couple tanks Monday and get the cultivator finished. The weeds are really starting to grow in the corn so It's either build a cultivator or get out the hoe. I picked build a cultivator :thumbs:

• olcowhand, MH81, wvbuzzmaster and 1 other said thanks