• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 03:35 PM

Purchased a new ignition switch...it doesn't operate the starter nor pto on engine.

Put the old one in...all works.

Dealer sez it's not their switch at fault.

Back of both switches have same terminal markings.

Could previous owner have rewired something?  If so, what and where?

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 03:41 PM

I guess you're wiring it up the same from switch to switch?

• Chopperhed and Phluphy have said thanks

#3 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 03:53 PM

If the labels are the same, the switch should do the same thing.
Make sure there are no variables (not setting on seat one time and you are the second)
If all the same, I would stick to your guns the part is defective. Defective new parts are a way of life anymore.

If they continue to give you static, we will put in an all out phone call chain to them asking why they aren't standing behind their product.
  • boyscout862, Chopperhed, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 05:14 PM

New means nothing!  If you simply plug all the same wires to the switch at same positions, and do this a few times to be sure and it has the same results, then it has to be the switch.

• Chopperhed, propane1 and Phluphy have said thanks

#5 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 05:53 PM

Around here, no one will warranty electrical parts. They always assume you did something wrong.

Just because the switch has the same number of terminals and looks exactly the same. It might not be the right one.

I found this out last week when a new ignition switch fed power to the kill wire on the magneto, and fried the coil.

• Alc, wvbuzzmaster, JDBrian and 2 others have said thanks

#6 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 05:57 PM

Around here, no one will warranty electrical parts. They always assume you did something wrong.

Just because the switch has the same number of terminals and looks exactly the same. It might not be the right one.

I found this out last week when a new ignition switch fed power to the kill wire on the magneto, and fried the coil.

Either that switch was labeled wrong or labeled different

#7 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,619 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 06:23 PM

If you want to eliminate variables, check out the switch with a multi meter.

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 07:06 PM

I bought a round generic switch for one of my GT's last year off Ebay and it didn't work either.  I contacted the seller & they promptly sent me another & told me to toss the defective one.  Got the new switch & all was fine.  I got to looking at the defective switch & seen they had crimped the terminal plate at the wrong spot.  I pried back the crimps, rotated thew terminal back to the right place, then crimped it back with large pliers and had a spare switch.  I also then used an ohm meter to double check all terminals for proper working order and all was fine then.

• MH81, Alc, wvbuzzmaster and 4 others have said thanks

#9 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 07:10 PM

Yes, most shops will not take back electrical parts.

As mentioned the switch may look the same but internally it may be different, what was the part number for your tractor and what was the part number of switch you got?

#10 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 09:26 PM

Thanks guys.  Did some poking around and proved them wrong.  Their NEW switch was defective.  They gave me another one and it works.

Bad thing is: I do not recall which post it was that steered me on how to test it. 

So to whomever, thank you and the rest of you for your moral support.

• Alc, oldedeeres and Chopperhed have said thanks

#11 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 09:50 PM

Yes, most shops will not take back electrical parts.

As mentioned the switch may look the same but internally it may be different, what was the part number for your tractor and what was the part number of switch you got?

That's the problem with the switches. They have no part number just a patent number(which was identical), They were both Indak. The terminal arrangement was the same, but the internal connections were different.

• Phluphy said thank you

#12 Buck Tales OFFLINE  

Buck Tales
  • Member No: 73140
  • 150 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 10:01 PM

I have changed a couple of mine also and each time, even though they look and are marked the same, I check them with an Ohm meter. So far they seem to be the same if marked the same but if you get one that is different, well lets just say they are not always the easiest thing to get at to change. :)

• Alc and Phluphy have said thanks

#13 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 01:12 AM

I fried a 50 dollar magneto because I installed a truck ignition switch in a tractor and misinterpreted the electrical wiring diagram when it said "ignition module"... Seemed logical to send it 12 volts... Until I saw the smoke rolling out of it...

I had bought a new throttle position sensor for my truck to help with the lag I had between pedal and throttle. When I installed it I heard a "pop" but thought that was a normal sound as i had read instructions online state you should hear a "pop" sound when you shove it on the shaft. I hooked it all up and turned the key... Truck would not start.... Hmmm... Yanked the new sensor off, reinstalled the old one, and the truck started. I took the unwarranted sensor back to the parts store and the owner is a cool guy. I told him what occurred and when asked if I wanted it replaced I said "I rather have the money than a second one from the same place." He understood and he did what he does best, satisfy a regular customer. Of course I told him if he couldn't get his money back not to worry, but he forced the issue with the company as far as I know.

The important thing to understand is that these companies that don't warrant electrical parts know that there are buyers out there that won't challenge them on it, and bank on that. When the receipt says "no return on electrical parts" you take the risk that the answer is going to be no, unless you can either prove them wrong; or buy from a store that the owner knows you personally, and will actually stick up for the customers that he knows aren't stupid, or lying lol.
  • Alc and Phluphy have said thanks

#14 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,034 Thanks
  • 770 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 06:14 AM

all the parts store that I go to have a sign, no return on electrical parts.
  • Phluphy said thank you

#15 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 06:58 AM

Those switches are tricky. I have taken a couple of them apart and repaired them. I should really just order a couple of them to have around. 

• Phluphy said thank you