• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 11:27 AM

On another thread, djordje33 recommended replacing fuel pumps on K and Magnum engines as PM. I expressed by skepticism but took his advice and just replaced by 24 year old pump with a new Kohler OEM. The old pump had a small tear on one side of the diaphragm. It was not leaking but was headed for failure.  Maybe more important was the old diaphragm had deformed or lost enough elasticity that it must have been operating at a low volumetric efficiency. My tractor starts and runs noticeably better with the new pump. Thanks for the heads-up djordje33!

• Alc, Wm McNett, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 02:59 PM

There's something to say about PM.

#3 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 04:46 PM

Untold amount of knowledge & tips here!

#4 warren OFFLINE  

warren
  • Member No: 48223
  • 42 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 02:08 PM

Any suggestions on where to find the best price?  (Jims, ebay, etc.?)  thanks.

#5 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 03:18 PM

Any suggestions on where to find the best price? (Jims, ebay, etc.?) thanks.

Stens sells the genuine Kohler OEM and a less expensive aftermarket. The Stens OEM part starts with 055. There was one left on Amazon for $46 and free shipping.

http://www.amazon.co...s=Stens 055-405

I had already bought a Kohler OEM from Pats Small Engine Plus (www.psep.biz) for $62 including shipping. From my research, if I had to do again I would buy the Stens aftermarket which you can get on Amazon for $35-40.

I do not buy or sell anything on eBay anymore. Just my personal bias. Amazon is almost always significantly cheaper and MUCH easier to work with, especially if you need to return.

I like working with these guys too. Here is the Stens aftermarket (520-568). They have the Kohler OEM on sale for $64.78 plus shipping.

https://www.kohler-e...arts/fuel-pumps

https://www.kohler-e...stem/fuel-pumps

Edited by artbuc, July 26, 2015 - 03:36 PM.

• warren said thank you

#6 djordje33 OFFLINE  

djordje33
  • Member No: 62653
  • 20 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted July 27, 2015 - 02:01 PM

Just noticed the post and good catch. 25 or 30 years for a fuel pump is a great life, especially in the latter years with our environmentally-friendly and anti-engine ethanol enriched fuels. A lot cheaper than wearing out the beloved magnum engine prematurely and re-powering with the inferior substitutes. If you don't run the tractor for winter, don't forget a fuel stabilizer for the storage. The ethanol and water eventually separate and play all kinds of corrosive games with the carb. 

#7 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 10:32 PM

when I replaced my fuel pump I dropped a mounting bolt down in the stator, replaced w/ another, since then 2 things; it quit charging the battery and pops the fuse as soon as I touch the terminals (can't even slide it in before it arcs and blows)

and with the new fuel pump in, it sucks more fuel to run....

gotta pull the engine and flywheel to replace the oil seal anyway and do something about the starter bendix because it sometimes free spins/don't engage the flywheel/

#8 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 03:10 AM

when I replaced my fuel pump I dropped a mounting bolt down in the stator, replaced w/ another, since then 2 things; it quit charging the battery and pops the fuse as soon as I touch the terminals (can't even slide it in before it arcs and blows)
and with the new fuel pump in, it sucks more fuel to run....
gotta pull the engine and flywheel to replace the oil seal anyway and do something about the starter bendix because it sometimes free spins/don't engage the flywheel/

I did the same thing! I looked and looked and could not find the screw. Then the light bulb went off and I figured the magnet grabbed it. I rotated the flywheel until I could pick the screw.

Just finished mowing the back yard. First extended run with new pump. Did not measure fuel consumption but she sure ran a whole lot better.

Edited by artbuc, August 02, 2015 - 03:11 AM.