• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 seubill OFFLINE  

seubill
  • Member No: 9420
  • 6 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 02:10 PM

Yes, I will try bypassing the fuel pump and run the fuel hose straight to the carb.  The gas tank is actually just slightly higher than the carb on these machines so maybe it will feed itself okay.  Question-- I thought that the whole idea of the plastic fuel pump as oppossed to the original metal body pump was to avoid a vapor lock condition-- is that not so?  The fuel hose is ¼ inch rubber on mine, no steel anywhere.  The hose is routed the same way since original in 1975 and isn't up against anything particularly hot.

About checking the float setting in the carb, would that make a difference only when hot?  Need to find the spec on that too, its a fully adjustable (high & low speed) Walbro.

Way too hot to mess with it today.  I'll report back in a few.  Thanks!

• MH81 said thank you

#17 seubill OFFLINE  

seubill
  • 6 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 03:29 PM

Update,  bypassed the fuel pump and ran the tractor with the gas being gravity fed to the carb.  It ran okay as long as I kept the tank full but then after about an hour would quit, just as before.  It would seem that this would rule out the fuel pump.  Removed the carb and checked the float level. On this particular carb the manual doesn't give specific measurements but rather states that with the carb inverted (bowl off)  that the top of the float (actually the bottom) should be parallel with the carb body at the bowl seat.  It looked pretty close to parallel, maybe just needing ever so slight of an adjustment, which I did.  There is no "float drop" adjustment on this one.  Spray cleaned the carb and reset the base low and high speed mixture adjustments.  Installed the carb onto the tractor and reattached the fuel hoses back to the fuel pump.  Went to work with it and it seemed to run well, then up and quit after about an hour.  Acts like its out of gas when it quits, but there's plenty of gas. 

#18 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 04:57 PM

Gas cap vent. Is it plugged?

#19 seubill OFFLINE  

seubill
  • 6 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 05:47 PM

Gas cap vent was one of the first things I checked.  Its well vented.

• DH1 said thank you

#20 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 05:53 PM

Is the coil getting too hot?

When it quits do you still have spark?

Edited by DH1, August 06, 2015 - 05:53 PM.

#21 seubill OFFLINE  

seubill
  • 6 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 09:31 PM

The coil does get pretty hot.  Brand new Genuine Kohler, not a week old.  It will get hot enough that you can' t touch it but for a second.  Mounted in the same location as original, on the side of the blower housing.  I don't know why it gets so hot.  Will check spark next time it quits.

Came across a discrepancy regarding the base carb settings.  The Kohler Single Cylinder K Series Service Manual says 1¼ turns out from lightly seated for the high speed needle and the same 1¼ turn out for the low speed needle.  However, the Kohler Carburetor Reference Manual states 1¼ for the high speed, but 2½ turns for the low speed screw. This pertains to the Walbro adjustable jet carb.  I'm wondering how to know which is correct?