• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 seubill OFFLINE  

seubill
  • Member No: 9420
  • 6 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 07:10 AM

After mowing for a good hour or so, my MF 16 just up and quits.  It's got the K341 Kohler.  Replaced carb (Walbro) back at the beginning of the season.  Seems as though this issue started after that.  Old carb had badly worn throttle shaft, so I replaced the whole carb with a new one.  Also the points, condenser, coil, and spark plug have been replaced this season.  After working for an hour or so it just losses power and quits, no backfire or anything else, just powers out and dies.  Anyone have an idea?  Thanks, Bill.

#2 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 07:18 AM

I am not familiar with the MF16 setup, but does it have a fuel pump?  My closed side Ford LGT 165 has a fuel pump and was doing the same thing when it failed.

• Alc said thank you

#3 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,722 Thanks
  • 4,282 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 07:33 AM

I had a similar problem on a Briggs engine once that ended up not having enough float drop. After about an hour of mowing on a hot day it would quit. Found out if I pulled the choke half way I could keep it running a little longer. Finally traced it to the float not allowing the needle valve to open far enough and when it got hot it evidently swelled enough to keep the needle shut. Bent he tab to allow it to drop more and problem fixed. May be a problem in your new carb.

• Alc and Bruce Dorsi have said thanks

#4 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 08:10 AM

I also had a similar problem with a K341 but mine would die after only about 10 minutes.  Let it sit for awhile and it would restart and run for a couple of minutes and die again.  Turned out it was trash in the carburetor.  Took the carb apart and cleaned it, put a fuel filter in the gas line, and I've had no problems since.  Good luck.

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 08:25 AM

When it dies, does it still have spark and compression? If it does, then you have a fuel problem. If not, fix the spark or compression. I would also look at the vent in the gas tank cap. When the engine dies, see if there is a vacuum in the gas tank. If the fuel line is getting too hot youmay have vaporlock. Good Luck, Rick

• MH81 said thank you

#6 seubill OFFLINE  

seubill
  • 6 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 08:38 AM

Sprint 6,  yes it does have a fuel pump.  Has the Kohler plastic replacement fuel pump, but its at least 15 years old by now.  But would not the fuel pump either work or not work?  Don't understand how it could be the fuel pump after about an hour of working fine.

#7 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 08:50 AM

I had a similar experience on my JD 120 with the K301.  Did complete tune-up and it would run for 30--45 mins then die.  I eventually figured out it had a bad coil that would short out when hot.  After it cooled for 10-15 mins it would start up and run until it got hot again.

• KennyP said thank you

#8 seubill OFFLINE  

seubill
  • 6 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 03:22 PM

Just came inside from mowing.  It shut down again after about an hour.  Touched the coil and its pretty hot, can only touch it for barely a second.  Disconnected the small wires from both sides and ohmed it, 4.5 ohms.  Checked the old coil I took off a few months ago and it ohmed at 1.5 ohms.  Maybe after the thing cools down a bit I may swap coils and see what happens.

Update,,,swapped coils and still the same problem.  Coil still gets pretty hot, don't know if that's just the way they are, or if both coils are no good?

Edited by seubill, July 24, 2015 - 06:33 PM.

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 07:36 PM

Could be the metal expansion is tightening up the valves enough to dump the compression.  Valve adjustment would cure it if it's that.  Kinda sounds like this could be your problem.  My nephew Craig just called & having similar issue.

• Trav1s said thank you

#10 seubill OFFLINE  

seubill
  • 6 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 07:02 AM

Got on the old MF16 yesterday morning and it would not start.  Checked spark and looked pretty weak.  Got me a brand new Genuine Kohler coil this time and installed it.  Started right up and ran well.  Hour or so later would not keep running.  Was 93° outside air temp.

#11 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 07:14 AM

For all the world, that sounds like vapor lock.
Check the routing of the gas line and make sure the hot air isn't blowing on it or its up against something hot.
  • Trav1s and boyscout862 have said thanks

#12 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 07:44 AM

For all the world, that sounds like vapor lock.
Check the routing of the gas line and make sure the hot air isn't blowing on it or its up against something hot.

i would agree with this.  Does this one have a fuel pump on it?

#13 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 07:47 AM

i would agree with this.  Does this one have a fuel pump on it?

Yes, it has one, but he said 15+ yrs old.

Bypass and run a gravity tank for a while to test?

#14 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1183
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 08:21 AM

As others have said, check the float setting in the carb. I just put a rebuilt K321 in MF14 and when I went to start it the first time it would hardly run at and idle and this was with a new carb. Took the carb off cleaned all the passages, reset the carb settings and now it takes off and runs like it should up to full throttle.

• limebuzz said thank you

#15 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 10:32 AM

Yes, it has one, but he said 15+ yrs old.

Bypass and run a gravity tank for a while to test?

I guess my reading skills are lacking today.  I would try the bypass/gravity feed approach as a way to test.

• MH81 said thank you