24 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 05:38 PM

Put insurance on the ranger for the week and was out driving around. I haven't driven a standard for over a year. Just like riding a bike.

Parked it hopped in my Tacoma to meet my buddy down at his shop to change my oil and roate tires. Got in out it in D. Got to the end of the alley and thought it was a standard locked up the brakes going for the clutch and smacked my forehead off the steering wheel.

Glad no one seen me.
  • MH81, Alc, hamman and 7 others have said thanks

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 05:48 PM

Seat belt don't let that happen ??
  • hamman and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 05:51 PM

Put insurance on the ranger for the week and was out driving around. I haven't driven a standard for over a year. Just like riding a bike.
Parked it hopped in my Tacoma to meet my buddy down at his shop to change my oil and roate tires. Got in out it in D. Got to the end of the alley and thought it was a standard locked up the brakes going for the clutch and smacked my forehead off the steering wheel.
Glad no one seen me.

I vaguely remember someone saying that sex is a little like riding a bike too. Hopefully not...
  • hamman, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#4 BigFlash OFFLINE  

BigFlash

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7324
  • 150 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 07:18 PM

Ive found when you daily drive a standard, hopping in an automatic be can be down right dangerous. Especially if it has a center console shifter. 

• hamman, toomanytoys84 and Marty'70 have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 07:22 PM

Glad no one seen me.

I did that the first time I drove an auto. It was a '67 Dart(in '67). Scared the heck out of me. Good Luck, Rick

#6 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 08:00 PM

Now that's funny right there !  My son wont let me drive his old Ford. After not driving a stick for many years, Oh by the way that's all we had when I grew up. Never saw an automatic until the mid 60s., anyway I digress, I took his pk up to town and he rode along when I went to hit 5th gear I missed and nearly got it into reverse.......... showed him some fancy foot work and never really missed beat. I looked at him and simply said, " and that's how it's done " ! 

Roger

• Chopperhed, toomanytoys84 and propane1 have said thanks

#7 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,477 Thanks
  • 3,371 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 08:23 PM

On a side note, I find it easier to go from an automatic to a stick, than from one stick to another, the difference in clutch action and shifters seem harder to deal with. And coming from auto, you're paying attention to all the nuances, but if you drive a stick all the time you aren't thinking about engagement depth of the clutch, the shifter throw, etc...

#8 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 08:44 PM

The big one for me, This morning,

I have 35-ish years driving standard trucks, Up to 3 ton.

I've been driving my Automagic Safari van, or similar, for about 20 years as a daily driver.

Jumped in the wife's new Jeep wrangler today for a parts run.

I do NOT like it.

It doesn't FEEL right.

Stalled it twice on a left turn light.

The power doesn't come on right, the clutch doesn't have any feel. It is definitely not normal compared to my experience.

Not surprising she loves it.

My biggest curse, from years gone by, was the extra wide brake pedals they put in cars back then. They always get in the way when looking for the clutch pedal at a stop light. :):)

• hamman, boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#9 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 08:44 PM

Seat belt don't let that happen ??

I wear my belt 99.9% of the time. Buddy's shop is down my alley a right turn and 250 yards down on the left. Wish I would of had it on. Would of saved my forehead.
  • hamman said thank you

#10 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 08:48 PM

The power doesn't come on right, the clutch doesn't have any feel. It is definitely not normal compared to my experience.

Clutches feel "dead" in newer cars to me. The new hydraulic clutches are fantastic in how they function but the pedal has no feel. I drove my friends wifes hard rock edition rubicon across their farm since he was driving the tractor back. I agree it had no feel but it was geared so incredibly low you could just let the clutch out. I think that model has 4.10 gears.
  • Chopperhed said thank you

#11 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 730 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 09:02 PM

Ive found when you daily drive a standard, hopping in an automatic be can be down right dangerous. Especially if it has a center console shifter.

Do that every time I go from my Ranger to my wife's Explorer.
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#12 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 09:04 PM

Clutches feel "dead" in newer cars to me. The new hydraulic clutches are fantastic in how they function but the pedal has no feel. I drove my friends wifes hard rock edition rubicon across their farm since he was driving the tractor back. I agree it had no feel but it was geared so incredibly low you could just let the clutch out. I think that model has 4.10 gears.

You can't feel the grab, not properly any way.

On a side note it did shift very predictably and consistently, when not using the clutch. the rpm drop was constant and consistent between the ratios.

I still don't like jeeps

#13 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 730 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 09:06 PM

Ready to sell that Ranger?

#14 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 09:18 PM

Ready to sell that Ranger?

I actually love it more. I took it to the car wash got an over priced auto wash. She is shining like a girl half her age. The deep wedgewood blue metallic is looking good. Stupid cab corner needs welded in. Maybe tomorrow.

The 4 banger runs out great and shifts smooth as glass.

Figured out the account compressor clutch isn't engaging. Reading 0hmns on the coil Internet says that's bad. Ordered a new one for 35 bucks off ebay.

Edited by toomanytoys84, July 23, 2015 - 09:37 PM.

#15 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 09:24 PM

I drive a stick 98 % of the time 95 Camry, the Ranger automatic in on the column so not too much an issue. Just bought a 2012 Ford Focus and found no clutch pedal (stomped the floor) and neutral a couple times.