• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jestwaitn OFFLINE  

jestwaitn
  • Member No: 73289
  • 7 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 01:21 PM

i have seen folks that have changed the old cast iron tecumseh engines to the honda clones.  simple enough.

what about swapping trannys in the event of tranny failure?  are there DIY options for something completely different?

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 05:36 PM

There are lots of options, but mainly changes on the theme. The tranny in the 12g and 10 tractors is a very common peerless unit, and while not limitless, the parts are still out there.
  • wvbuzzmaster, Chopperhed and jestwaitn have said thanks

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 10:12 PM

There are lots of options, but mainly changes on the theme. The tranny in the 12g and 10 tractors is a very common peerless unit, and while not limitless, the parts are still out there.

Peerless 2300 Series transaxle. You can find it in John Deere 110, 112, 210, 212, 214, can find them in many of the Massey Ferguson GTs, also used in 1970s Gilson GTs (made for Montgomery Wards). Also can find a no reverse version of the 2300 in Elec Traks. My Springfield / Toro tractors use the 2300 in a couple of the models, but it's so hard to find them I don't want anyone taking those for other brands, as the input shaft is opposite most other brands, and the housings are unique, and I have a hard enough time finding whole tractors... So parts are more more important for me to obtain whenever I see them.

If you need parts for Peerless 2300, Pm 'Superaben' (Ben W. / Old Paths Equipment) as he sells a Peerless 2300 series rebuild kit, and any other parts you might need. If he doesn't have it, he can help you find it.
  • Alc and jestwaitn have said thanks

#4 jestwaitn OFFLINE  

jestwaitn
  • Member No: 73289
  • 7 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 05:12 AM

this must be the manual transmission/transaxle?  what about the hydrostatic?

• Scott Minar said thank you