clutch belt adjustment engage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AriensMaine OFFLINE  

• Member No: 73431
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 12:55 PM

I just bought a 936037 Ariens 42" Gear (manual transmission) Garden Tractor from Home Depot (already I'm thinking this it was not a good idea to buy this from them).  Here is a link to the Operations Manual: http://www.manualsli...tor.html#manual

1st question:  I had cut the lawn 4 or 5 times.  During the 6th mowing, I noticed halfway through the job that the clutch engaged very quickly (even quicker than normal).  When all done,  the tractor suddenly would not go forward or in reverse.  I checked and found that the motion drive belt fell off the pulley.  Its tensionning system has one stationary and one clutching idler pulley.  I re-placed the belt onto the pulley and it started to work again.  However, the belt is VERY loose and vibrates so much that it makes a terrible racket.  Seems like the belt should be a lot tighter than this (its not real tight even when the clutch pedal is released).  I confirmed that the belt is installed correctly.  Seems odd that it worked fine for the first 4 or 5 mowings and after so few mowings, the belt should not have stretched.  Is there something that should be adjusted or checked?

2nd question:  The clutch engages very quickly, even when I try to release it slowly!  Not too bad when shifting into first gear, or even 2nd.  But 3rd or 4th - look out! I almost get whiplash! :)  Again, any adjustments for this?

Any help would be VERY much appreciated!  Thank you.

#2 Cat385B OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,342 Thanks
  • 8,688 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 02:03 PM

The tractor is under warranty, is it not?

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,476 Thanks
  • 17,095 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 03:59 PM

The tractor is under warranty, is it not?

If you just bought it it still should be covered for a while anyway, do not make any repairs or adjustments as that will void the warranty.

#4 stiemmy OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,077 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 12:35 AM

Sorry, but 1st problem is it's WAY TOO NEW, 2nd problem is it's under warranty, so why would you even think of working on it??? I know, why drive back to the store right? Myself, if I pay that kind of coin out for something that breaks, or goes belly up that fast.. I make ONE trip back to the store, and that's for my cash back...that's that!!

Opinions are like A...., yes every one got one, so if it were me, I'd return it, split the cash in half. 1 half for a reliable older GT, and the rest in the bank. Cheers :)

Edited by stiemmy, July 24, 2015 - 12:38 AM.

#5 shorty ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,321 Thanks
  • 3,746 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 05:06 AM

Welcome to GTtalk!

It sounds like it could be a number of different things. It could be clutch out of adjustment, a bad belt, or a bad idler pulley. Since its new I would try for warrenty work.

Edited by shorty, July 25, 2015 - 05:07 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clutch, belt adjustment, engage