#106 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 908 Thanks
  • 659 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 08:58 AM

Sssssshhh! He says he knows what he's doing, DL.

Lol, never said that. No way, no how, Rich :(

New guy here,

Looks like a fun build, can't weight to see it finished.

And I also am wondering about the lost of steering angle, maybe on a tractor it won't matter but.....

It's not that the axles are parallel to the ground when pointed straight, it's that as they are turned, the axis they are turned about is tilted the wrong direction. When stock, that axis is tilted in at the top, causing the axle to lift as it is turned, which (I believe) helps keep the tire geometry correct with the ground, and provides a centering force, ie, the axles/wheels will naturally go to a centered position.

With the axle rotation axis tilted out, this natural centering force/action will not happen, and in fact it will want to go to full turn, and what the tire geometry will be I don't know. But it can't be good/right.

Dan

Appreciate the input, Dan. And as far as this backyard engineer can figure, you're right. I'm figuring if the issue is too pronounced I can make the spindles neutral, either through heating and bending on the Diacro or just cutting and re-welding. What I'm thinking will be the case is due to the reduced rear tire size, top speed will be reduced, and since this is pretty much rolling art, I think the real world affect will be minimal. Either way, I should have some definitive feedback within 3 or 4 years. Stay tuned :thumbs:

• DL-North said thank you

#107 DL-North ONLINE  

DL-North
  • Member No: 78316
  • 50 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 10:55 AM

OK, I'm thinking the steering might be a bit "tweeky", and maybe you could add power steering if it is too hard to keep her going straight.

And keep the pics coming, love that you're doing it.

Dan 

I was/is concerned about this on a wagon I'm making to pull around the yard, think light duty hay wagon.  

To get real steering on the front, I'm using a straight axle from a 1960's E100. 

• tiretrx said thank you

#108 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 908 Thanks
  • 659 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 12:48 PM

I was/is concerned about this on a wagon I'm making to pull around the yard, think light duty hay wagon.  

To get real steering on the front, I'm using a straight axle from a 1960's E100. 

I've always had the hankering to build a decent size yard wagon with steering as opposed to pivot myself. Have you posted anything with your build yet?

OK, I'm thinking the steering might be a bit "tweeky", and maybe you could add power steering if it is too hard to keep her going straight.

And keep the pics coming, love that you're doing it.

Dan 

I've always had the hankering to build a decent size yard wagon with steering as opposed to pivot myself. Have you posted anything with your build yet?

#109 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 12:53 PM

As handy as you are, I would think you could just build a dropped tube axle.

#110 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 908 Thanks
  • 659 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 01:21 PM

As handy as you are, I would think you could just build a dropped tube axle.

In my case, I have an older Kubota 185 tube axle in stock, but I do like the IH tie in of the original. Plus, I want to drill holes in this one to get that old school look. The I-beam casting is well suited for that. Here's an example.

sinners+axle+setup.jpg

I got an old camel back drill press for the purpose. She'll turn 2" hss bits pretty easy. I'm thinking doing a tapering of the sizes though, say small to big.

• LilysDad and DL-North have said thanks

#111 DL-North ONLINE  

DL-North
  • Member No: 78316
  • 50 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 04:12 PM

No I haven't.  And in full disclosure, I'm really at the parts acquisition stage.   

The original idea was to have a wagon I could put a slide in camper on and wheel into a pole barn.

Sold the camper but still want to build the wagon, just for fun.

Here in MN we have lot's of boats, and plenty of used trailers, so that's the route I went, I bought a used trailer (250) and will strip off all the junk, move the axle back a bit, and then make some brackets square off the frame and to provide the leaf spring mounting to the front of the trailer. Which then has the straight axle attached to it. I paid 100 for the axle and figure I'll have another 2-300 in springs, mounts misc.  

I've also collected some 13" trailer wheels and car tires to use on it.

The bed will be roughly 4 1/2 ft wide by 10 ft long, and should easily hold 2-3000 lbs.  

Dan

Have you posted anything with your build yet?

• tiretrx said thank you

#112 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 908 Thanks
  • 659 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 09:38 AM

Did a little work on the LBC this weekend :omg: Just proves fact is stranger than fiction. Anyhoo, after refreshing my memory, I got back to fabbing up the new nose. If you recall, the grill/nose is from a '53 Farmall 300. It will require some alts to fit and get the look I want, though.

The first thing to do was to fit and weld in the old radiator stanchions. This required some cutting on the frame rails. This was mainly to allow the radiator to slide down within the frame to achieve a lower look to the LBC.

Having had the plasma cutter for a bit now, incredible tool. Clamped up a straight edge, and started cutting.

20160924_110446_zpsahecsg6i.jpg

Here's where things ended up.

20160924_113252_zpsrmzyxb4a.jpg

The original radiator stanchions were still used, but on opposite sides. This changed the angled portion to the back. The Farmall grill will be plumb, as opposed to the LoBoys which was sloped. They were also shortened/narrowed to compensate for the radiator dropping into the frame.

20160924_124950_zpsfav6wluj.jpg

Clamped, welded.

20160924_165553_zpsxdxmk8c9.jpg

20160924_165641_zpsgiuzuacx.jpg

Radiator fit in place.

20160924_170905_zpshfoznbyh.jpg

20160924_170918_zpscp4qdmuc.jpg

Next up, the grill/nose. I love the vintage look, and more importantly, the IH tie in. What doesn't work is the width and the grill slope. The stock width was 19", the radiator is 17". Behind the engine will be the '49 Cub gas tank/dash. That is 15" wide. My goal was to make the grill/nose width a touch over 17" wide. Two reasons, one, to ease the transition aesthetically from nose to fuel tank. Two, to make the nose look longer..........and leaner. Faster, if you will.

Here's the stock look mocked up.

20160924_171223_zpspama5rcv.jpg

This is something I want look wise, the tires ahead of the nose.

20160924_171549_zpsk7jnk5ni.jpg

Back to the plasma cutter. After the initial surgery. The black lines indicate what will be cut away for narrowing.

20160925_112333_zpsshgnuj00.jpg

Initially, I was going to weld the outside pieces "flush" to the center rib. But after dry fitting I really liked the look of the center rib over lapping the outside pieces. It make the center more prominent, bolder. I was happy with the newer lines. Next, I have to noodle out some ways of attachment and take the angle from the grill. Stay tuned :fing32:

20160925_172338_zpse6ijyk2z.jpg

• olcowhand, Cat385B and LilysDad have said thanks

#113 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 10:03 AM

And here I thought you had given up on it.

• MH81 and tiretrx have said thanks

#114 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 908 Thanks
  • 659 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 10:48 AM

And here I thought you had given up on it.

Can't say as I blame you :smilewink: Spring doesn't allow much time for "fun" stuff, and summer I just try and keep my head above water. Usually fall and winter allows a lot more time on my projects.

• MH81 and backwoods have said thanks

#115 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,913 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 12:35 PM

Lookin good.
  • tiretrx said thank you

#116 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,692 Thanks
  • 8,886 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 02:04 PM

Good to see ya back at it.
  • tiretrx said thank you

#117 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 02:54 PM

Now I can exhale! I imaged her with canvas and spiderwebs.

• tiretrx said thank you

#118 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 908 Thanks
  • 659 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 02:59 PM

Now I can exhale! I imaged her with canvas and spiderwebs.

No canvas, but there were spider webs.......and four flat tires :rolling:

#119 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 908 Thanks
  • 659 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 09:32 AM

Mike and I got on a roll(for us) the last couple days. Some pretty exciting stuff(to us) to share :fing32:

Work started with altering the angle of the grill. The 53 Farmall in it's original state sloped. Our task was to make it flat, 90 degrees to the frame. After mulling several methods we decided to cut a wedge from the middle of each grill section. Basically, the wedge tapered from 1-1/2 wide to a point. Here's the cut.

IMG_20160930_093800_zpso4ergcm7.jpg

An original on left, tacked up altered on right.

IMG_20160930_110235_zpsyzl8m6cv.jpg

After a LOT of fitting, bending, hammers and dollies, hammers and anvil, tacking and twisting, we had this in the end.

IMG_20161001_153323_zpsgxzypqqj.jpg

IMG_20161001_153342_zpse9hkly0d.jpg

After fitment, I think the lines are good, but it's just too long. We'll be cutting several inches, about three, off the bottom. After which we'll be adding a custom valence to the bottom. I want it to mimic, somewhat, the features of the grill top. The prominent center rib, and rounded sides. Problem is, we don't have that. Time for a trip to the Gravelyard.

IMG_20161001_155501_zpsxrwi20zz.jpg

We found a Gravely L hood, with a nice center rib.

IMG_20161001_155426_zpsotsjg8uw.jpg

IMG_20161001_160525_zpsveyst2dn.jpg

To better replicate the look we want, the hoods features will be reconfigured a bit. That's for another day.

IMG_20161001_161303_zps2fcncw2s.jpg

Believe it, or not, this work took Mike and I about 5 or 6 hours. It was tedious, but enjoyable. After that I said, let's have some fun. Let's mock this puppy up. And so we gathered the major components that will be fused together. The '53 Farmall grill and center rib, the '49 Cub gas tank and support dash, wood Grants steering wheel, and a very old leather/wicker seat. The goal was to get to see the rough lines of the LBC. Whether the look we had in our head was coming through. And obviously, these are not the final lines. The center rib will be shortened considerably, and fitted to the tanked and grill. The steering wheel will be lower. But to see the rough lines was exciting. I think we're on the right track. 

After we finished up and I found a chair and a 12 ounce hand cooler, my wife and her mom stopped over to the shop. My 77 yo mil looks at the LBC and says, "I didn't know you had an old race car". That WAS cool :fing32:

IMG_20161001_201315_zpsfqpftudh.jpg

IMG_20161001_201331_zpsdmcovi9b.jpg

• wvbuzzmaster, KennyP, Titus and 4 others have said thanks

#120 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 08:38 PM

It's looking great glad to see your getting time again to work on it. The vintage wire wheels make it look like a bugati or something from the 20's racing circuit.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
  • tiretrx said thank you