• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 blizzard OFFLINE  

blizzard

• Member No: 7504
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 08:48 AM

After 15 years the bearing in one of the idlers on my "Freedom 42" deck started getting noisy, so I replaced it. (My JD leads a fairly sheltered life. I bought it new in 2000 and I mow about half an acre of flat ground with it.) While I was at it, I decided to replace all the belts as a precaution.

I've replaced my deck drive and timing belts before, and they're covered in the operator's manual, so that was no problem, but there's nothing on the traction belt in the manual, and when I looked under there, it looks complicated. It also looks all crackly and in need of replacing. Did I mention it's 15 years old?

Anyone have any tips or tricks? I've searched threads and found a diagram and a couple of pictures. Looks like I'm going to have to remove some steering components.

Also, I'm thinking about getting the TM1695 technical manual. Looks like it'll cost me at least $40 through any legit source. Is it worth it?

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 08:54 AM

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully one of the J D guys will be along and can answer your questions.

#3 DennyIN OFFLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 293 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 09:48 AM

Blizzard, I'll be following this post. Monday of this week I just bought an LT160 with a bad engine and broken hood for a project. I have a replacement engine, but just did look at the drive belt and it looks like a booger to change. Hopefully it looks worse than it actually is. Like you, while I'm at it I wanted to change the belt.  

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 10:56 AM

Welcome to GTT. JD is very protective of their manuals. Good Luck, Rick

#5 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 11:09 AM

I did a 133 a couple years ago, I think the 155 has the same setup, man was it a pain. If I remember, I had to remove 2 or 3 pulleys, belt keepers and yes, steering linkages. One of the reason I hate JD's.

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 11:35 AM

:welcometogttalk: :camera:

#7 blizzard OFFLINE  

blizzard

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 09:08 PM

Well, my new belt is on. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be, which is not to say it was easy. To get around the steering sector all I had to do was disconnect one end of each tie rod. I took some pictures and I'll sort through them as soon as I get some time and see if I can use them to explain the process. I can see where this might have been a tough nut to crack if I'd waited until the old belt broke and didn't have it there to study before I started.

#8 blizzard OFFLINE  

blizzard

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 10:05 PM

I took some pictures and I'll sort through them as soon as I get some time and see if I can use them to explain the process.

Here's what I came up with: http://www.instructa...-John-Deere-LT/