• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 xperimental OFFLINE  

xperimental
  • Member No: 73414
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 22, 2015 - 06:48 PM

I need to replece the belt from the engine to the PTO on a 943 framesteer. It looks to be maybe 42-43 inches. Does anyone here have one of these and/or know the exact belt size?

My Dad bought this mower/tractor new in the mid 1980's, and it has been used continously to mow smaller areas on the farm.

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted July 22, 2015 - 07:04 PM

Hello, welcome to GTT :wave:

The PTO to engine belt  was a special 1/4'' length , unfortunately no current manufacture makes that size belt anymore so we'll either have to go with the 41'' or a 41.5'' belt

If you dont have any luck locally I can get you a Kevlar USA made one

We would love to see some pictures of your machine!

• xperimental said thank you

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 07:11 AM

:welcometogttalk: :camera:

• Oldford and xperimental have said thanks

#4 xperimental OFFLINE  

xperimental
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 09:27 PM

Thanks much for the help with the belt length. I put a 41X1/2 on the mower today. It did not go well. I may have a spring incorrectly attached, but not sure. It worked fine at first. After mowing a bit, the mower engage cable came off the spring that attaches to the engage/disengage PTO idler. After I put the cable back on the spring, I tried to mow again. This time belt apparently was rubbing against something and smoked and became pretty hot. The belt is now worn on the back and seems to have shortened so much that the mower can not be disengaged. I am surprised, I had not seen a belt shorten before. I am pretty sure this should be a 1/2 X 41" belt, but thought I had best confirm this. If it should be a 3/8" belt it could explain part of the problem.

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 07:31 AM

It should be a .656 wide belt and be a kevlar type belt

What kind of belt are you using? An auto store belt will not hold up

• xperimental said thank you

#6 xperimental OFFLINE  

xperimental
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 01:15 PM

It should be a 21/32"X41 1/4"  belt? Judging from the fragments of the old belt, I think it had a 1/2" belt on it (for many years).

The new belt was a heavy duty 1/2X41  gates belt. However, it did not seem like the belt was the problem. Something is amiss. The back side of the belt was rubbed off in a few moments. It was rubbing against something. From the diagram I have, it looks like the idler arm is supposed to have two springs attached to the end. My mower only has the one  spring in that location. That spring is pulled by the engage lever cable to engage the PTO. When the old belt failed it wrapped  itself around things and pieces of belt flew out. A spring was dislodged during this, and i am not sure if it  is a return spring for the idler arm and where it attaches. I am a fan of kevlar belts and have found they will hold up when other belts repeatedly fail. But right now, something is not right; unless I sort it out, I am pretty sure it would tear up a good kevlar belt.

Thanks again for your help. Groups like this make this sort of thing much easier!

Edited by xperimental, July 25, 2015 - 10:53 AM.

#7 xperimental OFFLINE  

xperimental
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 27, 2015 - 02:30 PM

I found a  21/32" X 41" belt locally (thanks for help with the belt size), but before I try to run the mower again, I would like to figure out the spring arrangement on the PTO idler pulley lever. There was a spring knocked loose, when the belt broke, but I have not found where it is supposed to attach. Does any one here have experience with the 943 idler arm? Or better yet does if anyone own one of these mowers - maybe take a picture of the way the springs are attached to the idler arm. I suspect that this is where the problem is occurring.

Edited by xperimental, July 27, 2015 - 02:31 PM.