#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 22, 2015 - 07:19 AM

I found 3 on me at one time back on mothers day, I had only walked around my drive before hand. They must have fell off the honey suckel lining the drive. Found one a couple weeks ago crawling on my neck.....while I was shopping in Menards. No idea where he came from.

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted July 22, 2015 - 07:39 AM

I can LOOK at the grass and find ticks all over me.

#4 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted July 22, 2015 - 10:26 AM

Where I was last working in VA, this summer a lot of the guys were buying dog flee n tick collars and wearing them around each boot. Spraying pants legs and still some would get thru. They are nasty critters. One supervisor was off over 6 weeks with a fever from them, and they say his resistance to such infections will be weakened from now on. "I HATE TICKS" is the motto to follow...

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,607 Thanks
  • 7,659 posts

Posted July 22, 2015 - 11:38 AM

I'm just waiting for some secret military project to GMO a tick/skeeter cross.  Of course it will get loose. They always do.

#6 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 972 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 10:26 PM

Deer ticks carry Lyme disease. If it goes undiagnosed for too long, it messes up your immune system. Three of my buddies have had it. One was undiagnosed. He's ok now but felt the effects for over a year. The antibiotics he took made him hypersensitive to sunlight.

If you get sick in the summer, go to your doctor, especially if you feel like you have the flu. Make your doctor check you for Lyme disease, even of you haven't found a stuck tick. its a nasty disease that's easily treatable when found early.

Growing up Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever was the feared disease from a tick bite. Not any more. Deer ticks are very small and you may not notice one on you.

I travel to South America quite a bit and end up in major mosquito territory. The mosquitoes are so bad I have to take malaria preventative before and after my trips. DEET works and there's some companies that will treat your clothes with a semipermanent solution to block ticks and mosquitoes. Permethrin? I think. You can google it to find someone that does it. It's good for about 50 washings.

#7 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 08:21 AM

Ah heck, they dont eat much. :D

During the spring and summer, anytime I am outside I end up pulling a few ticks off by the end of the day. 2 years ago I found one below my belly button. The bite had a nice red ring around it. This has never happened before so I know something is not right. Go to the Drs. the next day. Did not get to see Doc but a PA. She said that I had left the head in and that is what caused the red ring. After a heated debate between the PA and myself, I convinced her that she need to give me antibiotics and do a blood draw. If she would not do it then she could get me a real Doctor and I would talk to him. I got the blood draw and a Rx for antibiotics. I started taking the pills that day. The test results came back 3 days later and I had Rocky Mountain spotted fever. Lucky I caught it very early, i was only "sick" for 2-3 days.

#8 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 972 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 10:09 PM

PAs always scare me. If you can't them exactly what's wrong, you are in a crap shoot. The last time I went to one was for an eye infection. She was clicking away on her PC when I asked her if she was googling my symptoms. She got very sheepish and said she left her books at home that day. I told to give me a tube of antibiotic ointment for my eye and I would take care of the rest.

Before that it took me two trips to get strep throat diagnosed. I did talk her into an antibiotic shot that knocked it out in a couple of days.

You have to be your own advocate.

#9 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 10:33 PM

You have to be your own advocate.

Yes you do! I doesnt hurt that I work around MDs and PhDs for the last 20 years. Some of them even wrote the books the PAs refer to.