Jump to content

Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay



Photo
- - - - -

New project RAD 2 stage blower for my DGT 1700


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

    Member

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 11:55 AM

Hi it's been a while since I posted any new project. Well I finally got around to doing some work on my RAD 2 stage blower. I got this one several months ago and it sat in the garage. This blower came off of a troy bilt not sure which model. So it had all the pulleys on it for a belt drive system.  

 

First step was to remove all the drive belt system. That left me with:

 

a blower

input stub shaft in the upper position (should be in lower position for the DGT 1700 pto)

sub-frame mounts that will not attach to the DGT 1700 sub-frame  

the need for a pto shaft between the blower stub shaft and the quick release universal that attaches to the splined pto shaft on the DGT 1700.

 

My next step was to figure out how to mount the stub shaft reduction sprocket in the lower position. It seems that the mounts on the blower were welded in the upper position to accommodate the pulley system.  So I removed the stub shaft assy from the upper position. Next I made two plates that would extend the stub shaft mounts all the way to the bottom of the blower. From there I will be able to mount the stub shaft assy into the lower position. I made the plates, made some slots in them for the stub assy adjustment. Then I welded the plates in place. The welds came out pretty good (I'm getting better at this) 

 

I am in the process of extending the upper mount plates slots to accommodate the stub shaft upper bolts.  That is about where I am right now. I will take pictures of the plates now that they are welded in place. 

 

As I move along with this project I can update this post and post more pictures. As I was doing research on this blower I realized that there was some good info on retro-fits that others have done. I have not found any retro-fits like what I am attempting to do. I hope this will be handy for someone down the road. Let's hope this works when all is said and done.....

 

The pictures will show the original configuration with the belt system in place, the belt system removed, the input stub shaft assy mounted in the upper position, the input stub shaft assy sitting in the proposed lower position and a few shots of the new lower plate addition.  Also, a picture of someone's blower using the input shaft in the upper position, not sure I care for that.

 

Note the rust you see is only surface after I wire wheeled it. This blower is almost like new condition. The original decals on the 'inside' of the blower housing are still 100% intact. I'll get more pictures as I go.

Attached Thumbnails

  • Rad1.jpg
  • DSC09978.JPG
  • DSC09608.JPG
  • DSC09610.JPG
  • DSC09611.JPG
  • DSC09612.JPG
  • DSC09613.JPG
  • DSC09614.JPG
  • DSC09615.JPG
  • upper1.jpg

Edited by Husky, July 21, 2015 - 11:57 AM.

  • Alc, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks

#2 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,180 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts
  • Location: Ontario Canada

Posted July 21, 2015 - 05:35 PM

Looks like a nice fun warm weather project.  I assume the gear on the stub shaft will be smaller than the gear on the fan shaft to get some speed reduction - if so the smaller gear will have less teeth to engage the chain and with gravity doing its thing the gear may ratchet inside the chain under heavy load ( wet snow ) conditions if the chain stretches or wears.  You may want to look at heavier roller chain or some sort of tensioner system - just a suggestion. 


  • blackjackjakexxix and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#3 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

    Member

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 06:48 PM

Hi Chevy thank you for that info. The stub shaft gear is smaller. I'm using the same one that was originally on it. All of the Duratrac have the input stub shaft on the lower and the driven sprockt on the upper. I am hoping what I am doing is making this like the rest of them. They don't have a tensioner system as is but if I end up with issues I will have to make another modification....


  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#4 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

    Member

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 06:51 PM

Here are a few pictures of the plates that I made and welded in place along with the mess in my garage.

Attached Thumbnails

  • DSC09618.JPG
  • DSC09619.JPG
  • DSC09620.JPG
  • DSC09622.JPG

  • blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, Rock farmer and 1 other said thanks




Top