#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 10:28 AM

to small engines. As the name implies Slick 50 helps in lubrication of high mileage (hours) engines. The Lucas Oil product proclaims the same. The restore is made mainly for Vehicles with over 100,000 miles on them. I have used Restore in the past in a 1968 Jeep Cherokee with 160,000 on it. I can't remember the cylinder compression prior to using it but I do remember after 700 - 800 miles there was a marked improvement in performance and in cylinder compression. It had 295,000 miles on it when I sold it to my dad. He sold it years later with nearly 400,000 miles on it. Last I saw it it was up for sale years later with another engine in it. I didn't see the mileage at that time. Just wondering if that would be adaptable to SE on our GTs? I have contacted the company but have not received any feed back yet.   I have 5 GTs that all need oil changes. None of them use an external filter ( ya they are that old) and in one only have I used Slick 50 in the past. I used to use it regularly in my dad's Homelite T - 16 H. I believe it has helped in it's longevity. With all but one of these GTs being old I am contemplating doing the same with the oil changes coming up. Just wondering if any of you have used these products or similar in your  Briggs, Clinton, Kohler, Sears, Tecunseh or other small engines? When I get the two other T -16 Hs up and running I will use the Slick 50 in them. I have now way of knowing how hard those were used as they were bought without hearing them run. They were the proverbial " Ran when parked " purchases. I also have a good Briggs single cast iron 16hp I bought from a member here that  I know is good and it will also get the S50 treatment. Thanks for  any information. Now off to mow 2 acres of grass.                                                                                                                                          Roger
  • Oldford said thank you

#2 adamjd200 ONLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,406 Thanks
  • 1,538 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 10:39 AM

I'm gonna put some Lucas in the oil in my case and JD, can't spend the money to do a rebuild right now and this should help with oil consumption, even if it is only temporary.

• hamman said thank you

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 10:55 AM

I will not use "Slick 50" in anything, just my preference. I use the "Lucas" with no complaints in engines of all sizes. Seems to help with leakage and consumption.

• hamman, Chopperhed and Bill 76 have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 11:22 AM

I would put Grey Water in an engine before i used Slick Sh!t8y again. I had a great running, high mileage Dodge Coronet with the 318/327 combo. the engine was fine and I got talked into using Slick 50
long story short, after about 100 miles following the oil change, I'm losing power, mileage, hard to start and needing a new engine.

Restore has been a quiet positive... no fanfare, no hiuge results, just longer life in the cars I've run it in.
  • hamman, LilysDad, Chopperhed and 1 other said thanks

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,111 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 11:38 AM

I believe slick 50 saved my engine in my 1987 chev celebrity 2.8 v 6. Long story here, my daughter was taken to the hospital for an emergency at the age of a few months. I had to get to the hospital in a hurry. I had been using slick 50, so as I rushed to the hospital the oil light came on. In a panic, I keeped driveing thinking the light was wrong. No engine noise, kept going. Had to pick up my son at day care. When I stopped I checked the oil. None.!! So still a panic, got four litres of oil, put it in, started the car, oil light still on. Looked under the car, all oil on ground. Then I saw what was wrong. The oil filter was on the crossmember. So when I had left work in the panic, the filter came off , all the oil came out. I drove two miles or more at a panics pace. Now, so no oil. Got the car to a garage, picked up an oil filter. They put the filter and oil in, started the engine, no more leak. No engine noise, other than the lifters were rattling. Took twenty minutes for them to stop rattling. So, still in a panic the get to the hospital and my daughter was fixed up. That was 21 years ago. She is in England. Coming home soon. So, the happened at 140,000 k's. The engine had 375,000 k's on it and was still running fine, but the body rusted out. So as far as I am concered, slick 50 saved the engine. Never saw any noiticable increase in power while using it. So, the reason the oil filter came of is, the garage I was using put the wrong oil filter on. It screwed on and was put on hand tight and never gave it the extra 1/4 turn with the tool to tighten it. Oil pressure blew it of. Engine still have 60 lb oil pressure after all that. Noel

I don't believe the slick 50 of today is the same as the old stuff of twenty years ago.

Edited by propane1, July 21, 2015 - 11:40 AM.

• Alc and hamman have said thanks

#6 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 11:48 AM

Slick 50 never gave me any more mileage of noticeable power from an engine. I did notice it from Restore though.  Thanks guys.                              Roger

• propane1 said thank you

#7 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 08:50 PM

We use Lucas in just about everything, engines, transmissions, differentials, hydraulics, etc...
  • Alc, hamman, crittersf1 and 2 others have said thanks

#8 Marty'70 ONLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 09:30 PM

We use Lucas in just about everything, engines, transmissions, differentials, hydraulics, etc...

Like Lucas myself. Use the injector cleaner once a month in the cars and trucks add half quart to every oil change. Used to work in a truck stop and drivers turned me on t9 it. Been using Lucas products for 20 yrs without complaint.
  • Alc, hamman and propane1 have said thanks

#9 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted July 22, 2015 - 08:09 AM

Was turned on to "Lucas" at PRI several years ago. I use it in everything from my GTs to my mud truck.

#10 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted July 22, 2015 - 08:39 AM

'Restore' and 'Marvel Mystery Oil'  is just a quart can of kerosene.  It works because it cleans out dirt/gum deposits in your motor.  And doesn't leave behind any of its own junk.  My father-in-law taught me a trick he learned when he was a mechanic in the Army a long time ago.  when you buy a used car or truck or any motor for that matter with a lot of miles the first thing to do before changing the oil is to drain the oil and change the filter if it has one and fill it back up with kerosene.  5 quarts worth, or however much oil it is supposed to hold.  Then start the motor and run it a few minutes...don't let the motor run long enough to warm up.  This will loosen up dirt and gum deposits in the motor.  Kerosene is an oil-based product and will not harm your motor.  Drain out the kerosene and change the filter again and fill with oil.  You are good to go.

Edited by Delmar, July 22, 2015 - 08:45 AM.

• Alc and propane1 have said thanks

#11 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,111 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted July 22, 2015 - 11:12 AM

There was a fella in my area that used to do that kerosene trick years ago. Makes sense. Noel.

#12 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,031 posts

Posted July 22, 2015 - 06:22 PM

'Restore' and 'Marvel Mystery Oil'  is just a quart can of kerosene.

Just out of curiosity have you ever compaired the shear strength of kerosene and Marvel Mystery oil?

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 22, 2015 - 07:41 PM

I like Marvel Mystery Oil and will use it in both my oil and fuel.
When I was a teenager in the mid 60s, most of us teenagers were still running late 40s and up to about 60 model cars.
That was when car makers were introducing hydraulic lifters. The oils at that time were more often than not, not compatible with hydraulic lifters and they would sludge up very quickly.
Every Tom,Dick & Harry was mixing stuff, putting it in a can, and claiming it would turn your turtle 6 into a racer that would blow the King Richard Petty off the track and into the weeds. RITE!!!
Some of them did more damage than good.
For the most part I am a skeptic.

As for the MMO, yes there is some kerosene in it, and some other stuff.
You could not get a full quart of kerosene and the other additives in a quart bottle?

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 22, 2015 - 08:21 PM.

#14 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted July 22, 2015 - 09:07 PM

One quart of kero in the old oil, run at idle and only at idle, for 15 minutes will clean anything out. Drain, refill with fresh oil and filter. But I still only recommend it in extreme cases of sludge. Much safer to pull the oil pan afterwards to make sure there aren't chunks left that could block the pickup screen.
  • MH81 and Delmar have said thanks

#15 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,031 posts

Posted July 22, 2015 - 10:10 PM

For sticking hydraulic lifters we used to use Rislone. Had two cars back in the 70's that were cured of lifter clatter with that stuff.

• MH81, Alc, Delmar and 1 other said thanks