• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 08:47 AM

Got some of the plants going to seed. Just like last year. Had a good crop last year, but was wondering, if a person cut the seed part off the plant, would the plant but more growth into the potatoes ?? Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 09:40 AM

Great looking crop! Nice ground to grow it in also.  Good luck.                                                                                                                                           Roger

• propane1 said thank you

#3 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 10:25 AM

Just guessing here, but I don't think it'll make much difference. If you deadhead flowering plants, like pansies for instance, they put out more flowers---- reproduction is the point of the whole thing, and they reproduce by seed. I don't know if, when you take the seed off potatoes, they try to flower again or not. You'd think that if they do try to flower again they'd be putting energy into that effort that should be going into producing spuds. Try an experiment, take the seed off a few plants of one variety and leave them on the rest of that variety and see which ones yield the best. I, too, would like to know what happens.
  • KennyP and propane1 have said thanks