• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 357 Thanks
  • 257 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 09:33 PM

its not a misnomer . food is now more expensive because they are CHOOSING to grow crappy corn . I pay less overall for " real " gas but pay more for corn .... glad the farmers( and mechanics ) are makin a buck ... :deadhorse:

You would be surprised the amount of products that contain field corn. So farmers raised what the market needs If farmers raised sweet corn to the amount that they raise field corn it would be a losing cause because the most they would get is a penny for a dozen ears. The market for sweet corn is so small & labor intensive that most farmers only raise it as a side product. Many of the products that you use every day contains byproducts of field corn. Many plastics especially biodegradable plastics are only available because of field corn. Most types of paper use corn starch as a binder. A lot of the clothes that you wear use corn starch as a binder. Corn starch comes from field corn. High fructose corn syrup used as a sweetener in many food products is made from field corn. One waste product from making ethanol basically corn mash makes excellent feed for cows & hogs. If you use deodorant or hand sanitizer it is ethanol alcohol. Were I grew up anyone saying ethanol production uses sweet corn is known as a city slicker who thinks that the only place that food comes from is the grocery store.

Charlie

• Cvans said thank you

#32 johnwesley OFFLINE  

johnwesley
  • Member No: 12416
  • 31 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 07:58 PM

I raise field corn in my garden, because my wife and I both prefer field corn over sweet. On the topic of non-ethanol the only place here that sells it, the price is 2-3 cents less, or same, as premium. To me it's a no brainer over  buying premium for all my gas tractors and small engines.

johnwesley

#33 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 03:54 AM

Ethanol free 91 octane is all I put in my small engines, just glad the local co-op has it. About 25-30 cents higher than regular usually but worth it to me.

• Cvans said thank you