#16 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 12:37 PM

" I keep a good stock" because of the 15% ethanol.      

I'd feel kind of foolish arguing with people who have to deal with the results of ethanol everyday.

Internal combustion engines convert the stored BTU's in a fuel to mechanical energy. The less btu's in the fuel the more fuel you have to burn to accomplish the same task. So far there is no way around this fact. Gasoline still has a higher btu rating than ethanol as far as I know.

I know dragsters burn alcohol but I would think their fuel mileage is pretty low and their fuel and air delivery systems would be a little impractical as an everyday driver.                                                                                                                                              

Edited by Cvans, July 21, 2015 - 10:07 PM.

#17 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 01:19 PM

I have been running Aviation Gas for the last year and I am really happy with how my small engines have been running and starting. It is ethanol free 100 octane gas and my old Kohlers love it, so do the my 2 cycle stuff. I just go to my local airport and buy it 5 ga. at a time. It is higher priced, but not having to fool long sitting cars is worth it to me. It can sit in my tank for months and not cause any problems.

• KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#18 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 01:54 PM

I do not recall the steps but there is a method to determine if in fact a business is selling ethanol free gas.  It involves a small vial/container, a mark on it and a few minutes of waiting to tell if ethanol is present.

Has something to do with ethanol vs. water and displacement.

#19 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 03:02 PM

I do not recall the steps but there is a method to determine if in fact a business is selling ethanol free gas.  It involves a small vial/container, a mark on it and a few minutes of waiting to tell if ethanol is present.

Has something to do with ethanol vs. water and displacement.

Of course we can question anything sold as being accurately described. I'm willing to take a chance that CountryMark co op is not trying to defraud consumers on gasoline content. For that matter how can you be sure premium is actually 93 octane or whatever.

• Cvans and KC9KAS have said thanks

#20 Lmiller3358 ONLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,317 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 03:03 PM

I've never seen "recreational " gas in this aree,, only thing I can think that might be is the AV gas and the high octane racing fuel they sell at the mariners 

• Cvans said thank you

#21 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,618 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 03:32 PM

Of course we can question anything sold as being accurately described.

I went into Casey's one day and asked the winsome young lass with the crooked tooth and the mole on her cheek at the register, if in fact the premium gas was also ethanol. She quickly became flustered and I knew a clear answer was hopeless.

• Cvans said thank you

#22 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 05:56 PM

Of course we can question anything sold as being accurately described. I'm willing to take a chance that CountryMark co op is not trying to defraud consumers on gasoline content. For that matter how can you be sure premium is actually 93 octane or whatever.

In Southern Indiana, the Co-op is the ONLY fuel location that you can buy NON-ethanol fuel, but NOT ALL Co-op fuel is ethanol free....Only the premium fuel.

A TORO/STIHL dealer in the county gave me an article about ethanol, and it is not small engine friendly!
'nuff said"
  • Cvans said thank you

#23 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • Member No: 61353
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 09:02 PM

I only use non ethanol in everything . my nissan wont run on anything else and my suburu went from 21 mpg to 29 mpg . had two lawn mowers that wouldnt run, pulled the bowl and it was full of yellow jello junks .  cleaned it up got new " premium " still no good dumped it out got non ethanol and first pull one fired up the other took three . have a piece of hose from my new to me weed eater sitting here that is swelled closed and broke in pieces . I could go on ...

I like my corn on my plate

my mechanic loves ethanol BUT HE WONT PUT IN HIS RIGS  :bigrofl:

• Cvans said thank you

#24 Marty'70 ONLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 730 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 09:40 PM

No such thing as ethanol free gas around here no matter the octane. Been that way for several years now.

Local company here just started selling it here... Tried it just this week. Our Craftsman hasn't wanted to idle properly for a few years now. Just sounded like trash in the carb. You know the surging and wanting to die then run OK for a few seconds.. Tried cleaning the carb, tore apart and re built. Ran 3 tanks of the 91 no ethanol of it over the last few days and no lie it does idle smoother with no surging. Jus sayin! Maybe it's just me?
  • Cvans said thank you

#25 javjacob OFFLINE  

javjacob
  • Member No: 73130
  • 37 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted July 22, 2015 - 01:31 AM

I use non ethanol in my equipment. Only thing that runs on ethanol (E10) is my car. The extra cost of non ethanol is more than worth the extra cost. You cant let ethanol gas sit in the tank for any length of time. I think that's why its considered to be so hard on small engines is because they don't get used daily like your car does.

• Cvans said thank you

#26 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted July 22, 2015 - 05:24 AM

I have run it in the tractors when I can get it and they run better. Had to turn down the carb in the 12 some.
  • Cvans said thank you

#27 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted July 22, 2015 - 08:06 AM

When ethanol became the standard around here I had to adjust the carb on my truck to run "pig" rich so it would idle and not surge going down the road. Yes, I would rather have the corn on my plate. Has anyone else noticed how much mold grows around your fuel caps since the introduction of ethanol?

• MH81 and Cvans have said thanks

#28 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 357 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted July 22, 2015 - 08:50 PM

Yes I would rather have the corn on my plate is a real misnomer. The corn that is used for ethanol is field corn not sweet corn. Field corn is very bland & tough, some of it is used to make corn oil & corn meal. At one time most of it was used for animal feed. The making of ethanol has more than doubled the money farmers get for corn making it a cash crop now. Greater amounts of ethanol in gas causes problem with rubber parts so this is the reason the use of it in small motors cause problems. I use mid grade or premium gas in all my small motors but have ethanol in the gas that is used in cars does help keep the cost down making it easier to purchase what is needed for us to get from place to place. The cost of these other fuels I have never seen but remember seeing racing gas 106 octane going for $7.00 a gallon this is ethanol free gas, for that price I will not run any of it in my small engine equipment. 

Charlie

#29 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • Member No: 61353
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted July 22, 2015 - 09:08 PM

Yes I would rather have the corn on my plate is a real misnomer. The corn that is used for ethanol is field corn not sweet corn. Field corn is very bland & tough, some of it is used to make corn oil & corn meal. At one time most of it was used for animal feed. The making of ethanol has more than doubled the money farmers get for corn making it a cash crop now.

Charlie

its not a misnomer . food is now more expensive because they are CHOOSING to grow crappy corn . I pay less overall for " real " gas but pay more for corn .... glad the farmers( and mechanics ) are makin a buck ... :deadhorse:

• javjacob said thank you

#30 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 972 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 03:54 PM

I use nonethanol with StaBil added. Most engines I let sit during the winter. I can mow hear as late as thanksgiving and as early as the first of March so my mowers don't sit long. My Tecumseh powered tiller I run dry and put it away. I've never had a problem with any of mine since I started doing it this way.

In the big picture the higher price doesn't matter to me. I'm not buying hundreds of gallons every year. I burn maybe 20, 25 gallons a year depending on how much the boys want to ride their go cart. If it gets that tight at my house I'll skip a cheeseburger every once in a while.
  • MH81 said thank you