32 replies to this topic

#1 lrhredjb ONLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 281 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 08:35 AM

At the local country co op you can buy gas that does not contain ethanol. I wonder if it wouldn't be best to use this in my tractor and mower ( all vintage stuff). It's more expensive but it may be cheaper in the long run if I don't have to do carb cleanings and such. It's also slightly higher octane which may be good.

• hamman said thank you

#2 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,684 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 08:39 AM

It's your call based on economics, but I would think it is a definite plus for 2 cycle equipment.

• hamman said thank you

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 08:44 AM

That's all I put in my stuff.  If you are letting any ethanol sit for any period of time, I think it makes problems.  It's all I run in the boat motor also.

Ethanol added fuel is fine for the car, but not my small engines.

• hamman said thank you

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 08:46 AM

When I bought my Stihl blower last year, the dealer recommended that I use premium gas.  I told him that I was buying ethanol free at the only local place that sells it.  he showed me some parts that were all carboned up that he took from a job that he did for a customer who supposedly used ethanol free gas.  The point was, nobody was really sure if what that station was selling was actually ethanol free.  He said the premium gas is cheaper, more plentiful and will be better in any engine.  That's what I have been doing ever since with no ill effects.  For what it's worth, that's my experience.

• grnspot110, hamman, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#5 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 09:42 AM

That's all I put in my stuff.  If you are letting any ethanol sit for any period of time, I think it makes problems.  It's all I run in the boat motor also.

Ethanol added fuel is fine for the car, but not my small engines.

Me also ! Around here they call it " Recreational Fuel " , I have used it in my car and it upped the mileage about 2 mpg. ( 2006 Chevy Aveo) average 29 - 30 around town and 34 - 36 highway.                                                                                                                                                                                 Roger

• HDWildBill said thank you

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 10:00 AM

yes, if you have it locally use it !!!

Your small engines were not designed to run on this "Fuel" today and you will notice the difference, your engines will also run cooler with real gas.

• hamman said thank you

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 10:07 AM

My Nephew is a Stihl dealer and has said he can tell as soon as he opens up a carburetor if it's be run on fuel with ethanol. I don't know what he sees but it didn't sound good and he doesn't recommend it. 

• hamman said thank you

#8 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 10:21 AM

Me also ! Around here they call it " Recreational Fuel " , I have used it in my car and it upped the mileage about 2 mpg. ( 2006 Chevy Aveo) average 29 - 30 around town and 34 - 36 highway.                                                                                                                                                                                 Roger

Recently I was up in the mountains of Tenn with my buddies.  When we got up there we went to gas up and they went to a local station that had Recreational gas.  Several guys said they got better gas mileage.  They were right! I exceeded 200 miles on a tank of gas where with the ethanol I usually start looking for a station around 185 and depending on how much I twist that right hand sometimes sooner.  The Bike also seem to run a lot better.

• hamman and KC9KAS have said thanks

#9 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,406 Thanks
  • 1,538 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 10:25 AM

All I use is ethanol free gas, I use it in the Farmall Super C too, the only thing that ever gets ethanol gas is the truck, and it doesn't stay in there long enough to cause any problems lol.

• hamman said thank you

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,684 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 11:16 AM

When I bought my Stihl blower last year, the dealer recommended that I use premium gas. 

Around here the premium is ethanol also. We're in a corn growing state. :thumbs:

• hamman said thank you

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 11:25 AM

Our non-ethanol, non-oxygenated fuel is also labeled 'recreational/off-road'.
  • hamman said thank you

#12 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,222 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 11:27 AM

I don't really buy into that ethanol is bad argument, it is basically straight alcohol added to fuel and that is proven to give better and cleaner fuel combustion. I use whatever gas comes out if the pump, only hi grade in all my stuff including my truck. Some if my engines set around for months at a time without use and I never have troubles. Not one time have I had to rebuild a carb due to fuel corrosion, I rebuild them when they come to me and that's it, my cub cadet weed whacker has gone 10 years with no carb work or troubles. That's just my two cents
Pete
  • hamman and farmerall have said thanks

#13 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 11:34 AM

Around here the premium is ethanol also. We're in a corn growing state. :thumbs:

It is here as well.  His point was that we really don't know if the ethanol free they are selling is truly ethanol free.  Apparently the premium gas with ethanol is the lesser of the two evils.

• hamman and KC9KAS have said thanks

#14 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 11:44 AM

My Nephew is a Stihl dealer and has said he can tell as soon as he opens up a carburetor if it's be run on fuel with ethanol. I don't know what he sees but it didn't sound good and he doesn't recommend it. 

Since I started using Rec Fuel I haven't had to replace the fuel pick up tube in my Stihl chain saw. Before that I had to replace two. Been running good now for two years. The dealer just laughed when I went in to get a new one. He pulled out a box of about 50 and simply said " I keep a good stock" because of the 15% ethanol.                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Roger

• Cvans said thank you

#15 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 12:36 PM

No such thing as ethanol free gas around here no matter the octane. Been that way for several years now.