• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 05:31 PM

Thanks guys. It's vinyl siding and I have been trying to do a good job on the install. That front wall with the windows faces almost due south which means it will get a lot of wind and rain. I got that wall finished this morning but had some grief with the top piece. Had to do it in 3 pieces after trying to get one piece with cutouts over both windows into place and almost tearing all the j moulding off trying to make the 4 inch wide piece fit. Finally realized it wasn't physically possible to make it fit, got it off there, set it aside and came back later when the weather and I had both cooled off and finished it in 2 pieces. 

I've got to do a ramp to the door. Anyone have any suggestions on how to attach it to the building. I could use a header and joist hangers, cutting the joists at an angle to fit the hangers like you would for a rafter at the top plate and let the bottom rest on the ground or perhaps on some deck blocks. I would be worried about movement from frost at the lower end of the ramp causing stress on the top where it joined the building. The ramp will be about 6 ft. wide but only a few feet long. Door is 5ft 4"wide. Thought of using some pivoting dock brackets but they would cost me 100$ for 2. I'm looking for suggestions. I don't want to just pile the fill up against the building and use that as a ramp. 

• KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#47 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,502 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 06:21 PM

Not knowing your frost issues causes lack of help here! I was thinking about a home made pivot system at the building to help with that!

#48 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,568 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 06:23 PM

Is a GT the heaviest that will use the ramp? Would a set of heavy hinges work. Like one for each joist.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#49 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,805 Thanks
  • 2,207 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 06:49 AM

Is a GT the heaviest that will use the ramp? Would a set of heavy hinges work. Like one for each joist.

I agree ,  three hinges across the top should allow it to float with the frost conditions . Set it on blocks at the bottom  

• KennyP and JDBrian have said thanks

#50 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 10:47 AM

Thanks guys. I had thought of the hinge idea but hadn't investigated further. 

#51 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,502 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 06:21 AM

You could use something like door hinges or similar. You can find weld hinges and drill your own holes.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#52 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 04:20 PM

OK I guess another update is long overdue! Got the outside finished now, garage door installed, eves troughs and spouts on etc. Working inside now. Got the electrical rough in done, strapping on the ceiling, underground power feed from the garage installed and I'll soon be doing insulation/vapour barrier and drywall. 

That used garage door gave me fits! The guy gave me this huge sporing. I remarked on the size when he gave it to me and he said just wind it 7 and 1/2 turns. I did that and when I released the door it flew up and nearly launched itself. When I got the cables unsnarled and tried to put it down it took nearly all my weight on it to get it down. I got another spring from him, a normal sized one this time, much easier to wind and it works fine. I did make a mistake in the height of the opening and also mounted the rails higher than I should have. That resulted in me having very little headroom over the opened door, so lights will have to be low profile. I may have to go with a fluorescent fixture in that end. 

DSCF1288.JPG  DSCF1292.JPG

I used shingles to provide a slope on the threshold. Eve guard for flashing

DSCF1295.JPG  DSCF1369.JPG

Blueskin  flashing around the opening, wood trim and Al. jam facing

DSCF1368.JPG  DSCF1374.JPG

Outside of door is dark brown. Couldn't find the pics I took. 

DSCF1367.JPG  DSCF1370.JPG

Evestroughs and siding all done!

DSCF1372.JPG  DSCF1373.JPG

Electrical rough in.

DSCF1375.JPG  DSCF1377.JPG

Power from garage Via buried conduit.

• olcowhand, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 3 others have said thanks

#53 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,502 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 05:32 PM

Garage doors can be such a pain! Is the 'monster' spring in pic #6? Don't need much with such a small door!

• JDBrian said thank you

#54 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 05:34 PM

Coming along nicely.  From the picture it is hard to tell how much clearance you will have between the ceiling and the garage door.  Maybe a embedded light there?

• JDBrian said thank you

#55 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 06:32 PM

Looks good, I think I would have still used a roll up door on it. Just my preference, I have not had an issue with mine.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1140004.JPG
  • P1140005.JPG
  • P1140006.JPG
  • P1140007.JPG

• JDBrian and backwoods have said thanks

#56 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 08, 2015 - 10:38 AM

Looks good, I think I would have still used a roll up door on it. Just my preference, I have not had an issue with mine.

I need the insulation in the panel door. It's made from 2" thick insulated panels cut down from a commercial door. Maybe R12 or so. If I was doing it again I would build my own insulated outswinging doors and be done with it. This garage door cost me a lot of time. Live and learn I guess.

Garage doors can be such a pain! Is the 'monster' spring in pic #6? Don't need much with such a small door!

The original spring was like 40" long and bigger in diameter than a standard door spring. It was also made of thicker wire. I think it may have been one of the springs used on the commercial door that the panels were cut from. That thing was hard to wind. After putting 7+ turns on it, holding the tension all the time, you have to tighten the set screws. All that standing on a step ladder working over your head. Of course, just as I was about to tighten the set screws, my wife comes out and tells me someone wants me on the phone! Needless to say they had to wait. It's the physically hardest and most dangerous part of the install. If one of the 1/2" rods used to turn the spring slips out of your hand it's not going to be good. There is a lot of energy stored in that wound spring. Because of the 2" thick panels and the big heavy gauge end caps used, this door is likely as heavy as many 9ft. wide standard doors. The new spring is a standard one for a 9ft door and it works fine. You cannot adjust a spring that is too strong by reducing the number of turns on it. You need 7 turns or so to rotate the pulleys enough times to raise the door 7 ft. So the door has to match the pulley size and door weight/ height. One good thing is that I learned a lot about garage door installation.

• KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#57 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 08, 2015 - 10:41 AM

Coming along nicely.  From the picture it is hard to tell how much clearance you will have between the ceiling and the garage door.  Maybe a embedded light there?

Bill, if I go with strapping and drywall on the ceiling I would only have about 2-1/4 inches. I've decided to just put 1/2" particle board on the ceiling over the door and that way I gain 3/4" and have 3", which will be enough for a fluorescent fixture. Mistakes made due to lack of experience come back to haunt me later in the build!

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#58 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,805 Thanks
  • 2,207 posts

Posted September 08, 2015 - 01:44 PM

Looking good. I like the exhaust fan you mounted , keep some of the fumes out without opening a door or window in the winter. 

• JDBrian said thank you

#59 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 08, 2015 - 01:51 PM

Looking great and should be cheap to heat. I have to build a system to pull out exhaust fumes.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#60 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 10:18 AM

Looking good. I like the exhaust fan you mounted , keep some of the fumes out without opening a door or window in the winter. 

I decided to include an exhaust fan because sometime this winter I will likely be refinishing the kitchen cabinet doors. I can do it out in the shed instead of in the basement where the fumes from oil based varathane are hard to eliminate and end up getting upstairs. It will also come in handy for any painting on tractors etc. It's a 110cfm bathroom fan that I grabbed when it was on sale. I vented it right out into the soffit to a special hood for that purpose. This "shed" has ended up costing like twice what I planned and has sucked up all my spare time since June.

• Alc and TomLGT195 have said thanks