• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 06:39 AM

Got the sheathing finished. Put on 4" white aluminium starter strip and put a 3 ft wide run of eve guard on the lower portion of the roof followed by tar paper on the upper section. I shingled it with IKO Cambridge AR in Green to match the house and garage. Next will be to finish off the soffit, fascia and skirting, apply building paper to the outside and get the windows/doors installed. I may be getting a roll up door after all. I found a local guy who buys up surplus, used and end of run doors and will custom make a roll up door for me for about 1/2 the retail price. Should know in the next day or so if he has anything I can use. 

DSCF1112.JPG  DSCF1109.JPG

The starter strip took some time to put up but will make it easy to have a nice finished look. 

DSCF1105.JPG  DSCF1114.JPG

Had to improvise some scaffolding on the back side. No room for staging back there.

DSCF1121.JPG  DSCF1124.JPG

All that bending and squatting on the roof was hard on the back! 

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 6 others have said thanks

#32 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 07:42 AM

Looks good, My roll up door dosn't take up much celing space as it rolls into a tube shape rather than pull back over the celing.

• KennyP, JDBrian, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#33 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,441 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 01:05 PM

Roll up door would be nice and well worth the effort!  I like that you have gone large with the windows...more window area than most garages. 

Excessive bending and squatting is a sure way to wake up dormant muscles.

• KennyP, JDBrian and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#34 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 07:31 PM

Looking good.  My back would have gave out days ago!  I also have a roll up door that when up is in a big roll but doesn't take up much ceiling space, but there is a gap between the upper door track and the door trim.  One of these days I will have to fix that.

• JDBrian said thank you

#35 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 08:02 PM

Nice building there Brian.  Careful though....your wife may decide it would be a nice place for her hobbies!

• KennyP, JDBrian and oldedeeres have said thanks

#36 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 06:41 AM

Looking good.  My back would have gave out days ago!  I also have a roll up door that when up is in a big roll but doesn't take up much ceiling space, but there is a gap between the upper door track and the door trim.  One of these days I will have to fix that.

Those roll up in a tube doors are compact but this one will be a conventional garage door. I need the insulation that's possible with a panel door. I talked to the guy yesterday and he has a door set ready for me. He made it 5'4" wide which is the rough opening I have to work with. It's made from 2" thick panels and should have a good R value. That's one advantage to a custom built door. The size can be optimized. I'm going to pick it up today. 

It's raining off and on every day here lately and I can't get much done outside. I notice that with 1 day of sun the shingles on the ridge vent have flattened out nicely. We have been getting some real down pours with thunder showers and it hasn't leaked a drop. No wind storms yet to test it. I'm wanting to get the outside finished up so I can take a break from it and move on to something else. A lot of chores have gone undone here lately! 

• Alc, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#37 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 06:43 AM

Nice building there Brian.  Careful though....your wife may decide it would be a nice place for her hobbies!

You are right on the money there Daniel. She has already said that a workbench right in front of those windows would be a great spot for her to make jewellery.

• WNYTractorTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks

#38 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 01:31 PM

It's just a small thing I noticed but have never seen before--- what a good idea to make a bumper strip to rest the ladder on while shingling! Now why did that not occur to me before? Just watching this makes my fingers itch, I really like building things. You can never have too many sheds IMO.

• KennyP, JDBrian and HDWildBill have said thanks

#39 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted July 27, 2015 - 09:56 AM

Not been on for awhile been moving & trying to catch up. Your doing a very nice & neat job on your shed. Like mentioned no wife stuff. I have a two car garage ilk be posting soon for my shop. I told the misses you got the whole house & most of the basement but the garage is mine. Lol Keep us posted
  • JDBrian said thank you

#40 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 06:34 AM

Been a while since I updated. The weather turned wet and slowed me down for a while. Doing everything yourself when you don't have experience doing things adds to the time required to get stuff done. I've been using the internet to get a lot of info/watch videos on how to do things right, although you see some stuff on there that just isn't right. One guy installing an exterior door with no shims and no flashing/caulking. Anyway, I took a lot of pictures but when I went to download them they were not on the camera. Don't know what happened. Perhaps my wife already downloaded them onto her computer. I took a few more this morning . 

Got the soffit and fascia done, which was a lot of work using ladders and some scaffolding on the front. got windows and man door installed, siding well under way and most of the skirting done except for the spots where venting will be installed. Got to do the threshold and jam/casing for the roll up door next, then the siding on that end can be finished and the door installed. I want to get the gutters/downspouts on soon. The water splashes off the ground in the back and puts black mud all over the wall. I've got some scraps of OSB there for now to protect it. 

DSCF1266.JPG     DSCF1268.JPG

Heres the driveway up to the yet to be installed roll up door. I still need to add fill and make a short ramp.

DSCF1262.JPG     DSCF1263.JPG

Back wall siding and soffit/fascia on end wall

DSCF1265.JPG     DSCF1261.JPG

End wall with door and detail of how I did the siding at top of windows and doors

DSCF1259.JPG     DSCF1264.JPG

How it sits right now. Got to get that front finished this morning and move on! 

• Alc, KennyP, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#41 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 06:40 AM

Looking real nice! I think you are doing great!

#42 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 938 Thanks
  • 686 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 07:45 AM

That's looking sharp. Nice work!

#43 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 11:22 AM

Brian the shop fits so well into your house architecture it looks like it was made alone with the house. Nice job!

#44 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,806 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 04:39 PM

I love the ship lap siding. As a professional carpenter, I have to say that you do better work than most guys in the business. Looks good.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Tom

#45 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,578 Thanks
  • 3,958 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 04:58 PM

Looks good, like you would do it every day for work.