#16 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 10:52 AM

That is looking really good!  Don't worry about the mistakes, just learn from them and go on.  When you are done you will have a lot of joy in knowing that you built the workshop.  I think it will server you well for many, many years to come.

Looks great from my house!  

Keep the pictures coming!!

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#17 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 11:39 AM

Nice shed. Things are always more money than we count on when building. I bought supplies to repaint my front door. 2 small cans of paint 2 brushes and it was 38 bucks.
  • hamman, boyscout862 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#18 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,954 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 12:47 PM

A agree with all the others, Looks great! I built mine by my self, and it was a learning curve, and more expensive than I thought, expecially when I really messed up the foundation. I agree with the heated shop, and in my case Airconditioned! Makes a world of difference, and you can work on the GT's or other things year round.

Now for the critique. I know you are space limited, but bigger is better. I went from a 12X24 to 16X24, and wished I had did 24X24... nevermind, no matter how big it is you always need more.

I would look into a 6' roll-up door. 5' is rather narrow and some decks 60" or more may not fit.

I am not good with Roof's or windows, and it did take me three tries to get the opening for the 6' door right. Sorry no help there.

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#19 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 01:06 PM

**I would look into a 6' (insulated) roll-up door. 5' is rather narrow and some decks 60" or more may not fit.

That's what I got for my shop.  I wish I would have got a bigger door though..  

The storage side has 15' sliders so just about anything I'll ever own will fit in my 33' x 28' storage area..  

It's no lie about size..  It sure disappears fast!  

Another thought is this-  Put a block pier in the center underneath the floor if you plan on having any weight in it..  Though it looks like a nice strong floor it may 'give' in the center..  Just a thought..

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, July 21, 2015 - 01:08 PM.

• hamman, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#20 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 03:14 PM

Looks great ! And the Deer will  like the heat this winter !

• hamman, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#21 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 06:04 PM

With your windows facing south looks to be room to set a thermo syphon of decent size under the windows to capture free heat during the cold months. I built one 4'x7' for about $60 but it can be done cheaper yet depending on what you can salvage...
See YouTube for variations of theo siphons

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by Jazz, July 23, 2015 - 05:45 AM.

• hamman, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#22 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 06:44 PM

With your windows facing south looks to be room to set a thermo syphon of decent size under the windows to capture free heat during the cold months. I built one 4'x7' for about $60 but it can be done cheaper yet depending on what you can salvage...

Please post some pics of the thermo siphon type heat grabber. I want to build one too. I've been told that they work well. I built my house passive solar but we get alot fewer sunny days in winter now so, I want to add a heat grabber.

I think that some extra support in the center of the floor would be good but worry about frost heave.

The steep roof is an excellant way to deal with snow loads. I went 7 to 12. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman, JDBrian and oldedeeres have said thanks

#23 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 06:45 PM

So with that siphon you could hook a fan coil to it to use as auxiliary heat? Neat idea. How low of a temperature would that still produce heat. Not trying to steal the thread but am intrigued now. Thanks                                                                                                                                                                              Roger

• oldedeeres said thank you

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 06:55 PM

I'd like to know more also! Start a thread on it!

• hamman, JDBrian, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#25 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 07:22 PM

Thanks for all the positive comments. I really don't have space for anything larger. I already have a 20X22ft garage. A 8 by 10 storage shed with a 10 x 6 lean too on one side, a wood shed lean too on one side of the garage that is 18 x6 and a space 12 x15 underneath our sunroom that's about 6ft. high.  I really just want to be able to get in out of the cold to work on a Gt, snowblower or whatever. Someone mentioned attic storage. With 6/12  pitch and a 10ft span the top of the ridge board is about 30" high. By the time you take out the ceiling joists, insulation and rafters there isn't much space left. 

I've already shingled the roof. 6/12 is about as far as you can go without scaffolding on the roof. I have pictures but will have to wait to post them. I thought of a roll up door but don't like the way the interior hardware would clutter up the ceiling. It would extend nearly half way across the shed. You also can't use any lights on the ceiling above the door when it's open. 

My idea is to build it like a house, and to finish it with siding and make it look like it fits in with the rest of the property. Since it's right out front I can't hide it like the other shed. I'll have more pics to add later this week. I'm working tomorrow and Thursday so it may be a few days before I get back at it. 

• Alc, hamman, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#26 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 10:04 PM

JD, I built a 8 x 12 playhouse for the kids a while ago. I put plywood on top of the collar ties for storage. IIRC, it has a 6 12 roof ( done in steel) but has hatches on the gables for storage access. I was sure the height in there was 30" or so. Your 10' wide building should be higher. What'd do I know, tapes seldom lie, while my memory is fallible..... On second thought, that roof may be 12 12.

#27 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 22, 2015 - 05:05 AM

JD, I built a 8 x 12 playhouse for the kids a while ago. I put plywood on top of the collar ties for storage. IIRC, it has a 6 12 roof ( done in steel) but has hatches on the gables for storage access. I was sure the height in there was 30" or so. Your 10' wide building should be higher. What'd do I know, tapes seldom lie, while my memory is fallible..... On second thought, that roof may be 12 12.

I considered doing exactly as you did. With a 6/12 pitch and 5 ft to the center of the ridge board the top of the ridge is 30" above the top of the wall plate. I am going to be insulating that space with maybe 8" of insulation and have collar ties just above that. I could put plywood over them for storage of longer items but as you have done I would need to open up one gable end to get access. That would need to be a water tight door to avoid getting moisture into the insulated attic area. It would also be over 10ft above ground level and I decided not to do it. I think I will pursue that storage idea in the garage which has much more space above the ceiling  and I don't plan on insulating it.

• HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#28 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 22, 2015 - 05:11 AM

Thermal syphoning water heaters can work well in places where you have a good solar resource. The basic problem with using solar water heaters for space heating is that the heat resource, sunlight, is much less in the winter than in the summer months when you don't need heat. You also have to use antifreeze in the pipes unless it is a drain back system.The new shed will have a southern exposure, but not an unobstructed one. I have 2 4x8ft solar Hot water heating panels on my house and would like to try a photovoltaic setup to generate some electricity to offset my electric bill. I could also build a solar air heater for the front or roof of the shed. You can DIY those for a reasonable cost and there are a lot of plans on line.The commercial ones are just too expensive to justify the investment.

• Alc, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#29 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,871 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted July 22, 2015 - 01:16 PM

Something we learned with having a man door on the other end of the shed is to have it open out, not in. It may be awkward if you need a step up to get in the shed, but a door that opens in takes up lot of space that could be put to better use. You can always make a wider top step or put a little stoop at the back door.
  • KennyP, boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#30 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted July 22, 2015 - 02:30 PM

I'd like to know more also! Start a thread on it!

The heat grabber was an idea presented in MEN in fall 1977  http://www.motherear...#ArticleContent  and  http://www.oocities....ws1977-rot.html and

It is a simple and efficient design to heat air in direct sunlight. It has no moving parts and can be built with plywood. styrofoam and glass from a sliding glass door panel.

This is an explanation with diagrams of the heat grabber. http://www.builditso...ssungrabber.htm   MEN left out the diagrams on their web site reprint.

I hope to build one this fall. You have to use a wall that faces within 15* of true south and it cannot be in shade. When done properly it starts itself when sun hits it and shuts itself down when the sun leaves it. There is no moving parts just warm air rising. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, July 22, 2015 - 02:32 PM.

• KennyP, HDWildBill, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks