Garden Tractor Forums banner

Let the fun begin !

992 views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  rustyoldjunk 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have been putting this off for a year debating on whether I wanted to put the work into it or sell the old GMC. It has been a good old work and hauling truck and its a light 3/4 ton 4x4 long bed so it is handy to have around even if it isn't pretty. So when the water pump went a few days ago I finally decided to start on it. I went and got the intake gaskets it has needed for over a year and the water pump. I swapped out the intake gaskets and should have the new water pump on and everything buttoned up tomorrow evening. Next weekend I am going to run exhaust and or fix the tail lights and whichever one that I don't get to next weekend I will do the next weekend. I have a brake line to fix and tires to put on it. I am going to add some Lucas to the oil and add another container of Lucas transmission condition to the trans when I change the fluid and filter...oh yeah,there is that rear universal too....lol......Plan is to have it in solid reliable ridge runner shape by early fall.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Love those trucks !!!! I had an 89 chevy 3/4 ton. by far the best ruck I ever had, I beat that thing for 5 years before I sold it to my brother in law then he beat it for 2 years before he got T boned at an intersection. just watch the frame behind the cab, they tend to rot out rite there.

Pete

#4 ·
Ahhh yes the old reliable SB TBI Chev. I loved flipping the airlid upside down on those!!
Sounds like a 4bbl, wonder why I never got good mileage?? Lol

Good ol truck u got there :) Cheers.

Reactions: rustyoldjunk
#5 ·
Have had to replace the intake gaskets on our 93 Chevy 1500 about 4 times. Bought racing gaskets last time. 330,000 miles and still running. 1992 Chevy short bed has 325,000 on it and it runs good. Bad thing about leaving things set is the underside rusts so badly. I have replaced several brake lines and fuel lines. Water pumps on Chev's are another one we replaced many times. Looks like a worthy truck to get going again. Good luck. Roger

#7 ·
Have had to replace the intake gaskets on our 93 Chevy 1500 about 4 times. Bought racing gaskets last time. 330,000 miles and still running. 1992 Chevy short bed has 325,000 on it and it runs good. Bad thing about leaving things set is the underside rusts so badly. I have replaced several brake lines and fuel lines. Water pumps on Chev's are another one we replaced many times. Looks like a worthy truck to get going again. Good luck. Roger
Intake gaskets do seem to be an issue on these GM engines. I agree on the rust too,brake lines,gas tank straps,etc. But I will say this for the older truck,its way solider than the 99 GMC that I just got rid of. The 99's frame was rusted thru in two spots and was cracked completely thru in another place.

#9 ·
Your pic brings back memories of my 88. I ran that truck hard. Came home one day from work to find antifreeze peeing out from a blown intake gasket. I had a camping trip the next day. Ran to the parts house got gaskets, sealer antifreeze and everything else I could think of. As soon it cooled off I started tearing it down. Wrapped it up around 11:30 that night. Didn't even bother to fire it up until the next morning.

And you're right on brake lines, the fronts rust out. You can get stainless exact fit lines from a shop in Ohio that makes street rod brake lines. When mine went I bought a bunch of straight lines and unions and ran them down the side of the rail.

I still have my 88. It's in the backyard guarding my lawn mowers and tractors.

Good luck.

#10 ·
That GMC is a young'un compared to my main GMC driver! It turned 60 this year--LOL! Putting a different radiator in it right now so a radiator support rebuild is needed too---switching to something rather common instead of the hard to find one.

Anyway, around here you would be lucky to get anything for it so why not get it running again. I've got an '89 Chevy Suburban 4x4 in the back yard that I need to do something with someday. Got it cheap for a parts truck and it is still sitting there. Runs but dies. Never took much time to figure out why.

There ain't no better recycling than keeping what you got going!

DAC

Reactions: rustyoldjunk
#11 ·
Rusted brake lines are something we see every week, Ford, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan, GM, no difference, they all used the same basic line and they all rust out. I've replaced all mine on my '96 2 door Tahoe now, we use nickle copper, but you can by ready made sets that are sectioned to go on easier, they're all over eBay.

My daily driver...

tahoe%20new%20wheels.jpg

#12 ·
That GMC is a young'un compared to my main GMC driver! It turned 60 this year--LOL! Putting a different radiator in it right now so a radiator support rebuild is needed too---switching to something rather common instead of the hard to find one.

Anyway, around here you would be lucky to get anything for it so why not get it running again. I've got an '89 Chevy Suburban 4x4 in the back yard that I need to do something with someday. Got it cheap for a parts truck and it is still sitting there. Runs but dies. Never took much time to figure out why.

There ain't no better recycling than keeping what you got going!

DAC
I'm with you DAC. This is newer than I prefer but I have it so I will use it. I really enjoy the 60's trucks and the 70's too but they are a lot harder to find anymore and the prices for pretty much scrap 60's-70's stuff is ridiculous. I'm on the lookout now for another 60's-70's vintage truck to drag in. I would really like to find another 66 F100 with the chrome grill and front bumper...I'm thinking a 390 4 speed would be nice...but for now back to the GMC...lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.