#1 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,575 Thanks
  • 917 posts

Posted July 19, 2015 - 07:58 PM

This is the first time I have planted potatoes. They where Yukon gold spuds that I had got from Big R.  I don't ever remember seeing a fruit growing on  the top section. Can anyone clue me in. Here are some pics of what I am talking about. We had a lot of rain this year.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC01957.JPG
  • DSC01959.JPG
  • DSC01961.JPG

Edited by Traill95, July 19, 2015 - 07:59 PM.

• oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#2 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted July 20, 2015 - 03:57 AM

Most folks around here had most of their potato crop rot in the ground from too much rain.
  • Alc, Traill95 and propane1 have said thanks

#3 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted July 20, 2015 - 04:47 AM

DO NOT EAT THOSE THEY ARE POSIONOUS! If you have small kids , get rid of those seed pods. What caused them was cooler than normal temps in June and July ,this is why not many people have seen these. They will make you I'll as will green potato's like the potato famine did way back when.. Your potatos will be just fine , it was just caused by weather.
  • Alc, middleageddeere, Traill95 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted July 20, 2015 - 04:51 AM

That happen to mine last year. Very strange seeing the little taters on top of the plant. I still had a great crop. Noel
  • Traill95 said thank you

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 20, 2015 - 09:05 AM

When I see those pods on the vine I pick them off.
Too much rain, can cause production to drop dramatically.
And can cause what I call black heart. I am sure you have seen the black streaks in the center of a potato.
Do not get discouraged! I see you about 350 miles SE of me, I have been in a strip where the heaviest rains and storms have gone south and north of me. That is not to say we have not had plenty of rain.
I have a strip of ground,the steepest part that has not Been mowed since late May. I got the tractor stuck last week trying to mow it.
Your located where the heaviest went through.
Usually after a very wet year the next year will be drier, so you could have a bumper crop next year.

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 20, 2015 - 09:15 AM.

• Traill95 said thank you

#6 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted July 20, 2015 - 11:43 AM

DO NOT EAT THOSE THEY ARE POSIONOUS! If you have small kids , get rid of those seed pods. What caused them was cooler than normal temps in June and July ,this is why not many people have seen these. They will make you I'll as will green potato's like the potato famine did way back when.. Your potatos will be just fine , it was just caused by weather.

Those are "seed pods", actually the fruit of the potato plant. If you are adventurous you can open them after they have ripened, ( or just plant them as they are)  plant the small seeds and develop a new variety of spuds, providing they were from two different kinds of potatoes in the first place. Did you have two kinds in the same garden? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I have found it takes little effort and it is fun to develop something different this way. How else do new varieties evolve?         Side note here, how on earth can anyone ever be bored? There is so much to do and learn, especially about growing things.

• JD DANNELS, skyrydr2 and Traill95 have said thanks

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 20, 2015 - 11:53 AM

Side note here, how on earth can anyone ever be bored? There is so much to do and learn, especially about growing things.

That is a fact, been gardening since I was big enough for dad to hand me a hoe and send me off to the garden.
The more I learn, the more I realize I do not know.
  • skyrydr2, Traill95 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted July 20, 2015 - 01:15 PM

Another note for fun, potatoes and tomatoes are cousins , and if your really good at grafting, you can graft them together to get a few tomatoes on top and a few spuds under .
These potato fruit are not edible. More precisely, they are poisonous. They contain high amounts of solanine that can make the eater very ill. Solanine is also found in potatoes that are dug, left in the sun and the skin turns green. Besides being very bitter, eating plant parts containing solanine can lead to headache, abdominal pain, shock and diarrhea. If little kids are around, the fruit should be removed so the children are not tempted to eat them.
  • Traill95 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#9 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted July 20, 2015 - 01:22 PM

If I had more time I would love to play around growing and grafting but time is just not on my side :-(
  • Traill95 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 20, 2015 - 07:02 PM

If I had more time I would love to play around growing and grafting but time is just not on my side :-(

That is a subject that interests me, I would like to try grafting.

I did do something this year, I have never tried.
Went out one morning and a pepper plant was broken and the top was bent over. I suspect deer, since they topped my tomatoes.
Jo asked if we could splint it and save it? I said we had nothing to lose by trying.
Tried drinking straws and masking tape,but the straws were not tough enough.
So I took a piece of 12.5 ga electric fence wire(bought to hold the rasberries and blackberries) and used the masking tape.
That plant has made a full recovery.

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 20, 2015 - 07:06 PM.

• oldedeeres said thank you