• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 kpost OFFLINE  

kpost
  • Member No: 73293
  • 6 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 10:23 PM

I am in a pickle.  I have the above mentioned GT and a few problems.  1.  Fly wheel went along with the starter this spring, replaced them both with new ones. It is not starting as it should.  the sears guy came and after 100 bucks, said that in order to start it i would need to pull out both spark plugs and manually turn the fly wheel until the compression was released.  Then i have to put the plugs back into when it turns over and try to start it.  if it doesn't work, i do it again.  He told me that i may have a flat spot or something inside the motor and the only way to fix it was put a new motor in it.  The price he was telling me was almost the price of another newer mower.  2.  After doing all the above, it does run etc., but every once in a while it loses power while mowing.  I have to turn off the mower deck and wait for it.  It is almost like it isn't getting enough gas, not sure.The Sears man also told me that with the newer gas nowdays, i need to be changing my oil 2 times a year.  Is that correct.  I do mow a lot, about 7 acres somewhat hilly and pull a 42 inch pull behind mower as i am mowing.      I have no idea as to what to do about this.  Could you please help me??? Thanks, kpost

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 10:50 PM

The first problem: his answer is complete hogwash. You should demand your 100 back
There is something else wrong and this "technician" misdiagnosed.

Best guess? Your flywheel key is partially sheared or the flywheel is the wrong one.

The new gas does suck, but you can get recreational gas with no ethanol. The oil should be changed on the number of run time hours, not an arbitrary number.
  • boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer and kpost have said thanks

#3 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 11:20 PM

the sears guy is blowing smoke up your rear--he should go back to working in the the shoe department .

I agree with MH81 on all counts. I would also maybe look into cleaning the carb.

Edited by Bill 76, July 18, 2015 - 11:41 PM.

• MH81, WNYTractorTinkerer and kpost have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted July 19, 2015 - 07:12 AM

Welcome to GTT. As you can tell we work together. I agree that the flywheel may be wrong but it is more likely that the flywheel key is damaged or in wrong. This will throw the timing off which will make it start hard and run poorly. Sounds like Sears just wants to sell you a new mower. Look in our Manuals Section(3 free downloads per day) for the engine manual and read the troubleshooting chart to see what it says. When you get the flywheel off, post some clear pics for us to help.

I think that 7 acres is asking too much of a Craftsman and a 42" deck is way too small. Good Luck, Rick

• MH81, grattone and kpost have said thanks

#5 grattone OFFLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 222 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted July 19, 2015 - 07:13 AM

If the Fly wheel isn't the problem like MH81 said I would check the valve adjustment. 

• boyscout862 and toppop52 have said thanks

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted July 19, 2015 - 07:18 AM

Still shaking my head, "Flat spot in motor"
The ONLY thing that could translate to and not be "smoke" is the compression release (if it has one)... That would be deep in the engine and not something most people (elsewhere) would fix themselves.

Is this a Briggs or Kohler engine?
  • boyscout862 and Marty'70 have said thanks

#7 Marty'70 ONLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 729 Thanks
  • 632 posts

Posted July 19, 2015 - 07:28 AM

Flat spot...hahahaha now that's a good one!
  • boyscout862 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#8 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted July 19, 2015 - 08:39 AM

I agree with the others, the "Technician" doest know what he's talking about, first time I heard of a "Flat spot" in an engine! LOL

What is the brand and model of this engine?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#9 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,450 Thanks
  • 3,359 posts

Posted July 19, 2015 - 11:08 AM

If the Fly wheel isn't the problem like MH81 said I would check the valve adjustment. 

Most likely the problem, the valves are too loose and the compression release lobe isn't opening the valve.

• MH81 said thank you

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted July 19, 2015 - 11:57 AM

Most likely the problem, the valves are too loose and the compression release lobe isn't opening the valve.

if its a better kohler, it probably has hydraulic lifters.

#11 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 19, 2015 - 04:20 PM

Can't believe we are this far and no pics! Never seen a Sears 6500 before!

#12 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,450 Thanks
  • 3,359 posts

Posted July 19, 2015 - 04:45 PM

According to Kohler, the only engines with hydraulic lifters are the Command Pro horizontals and select models of the Aegis, mostly the horizon version of the Aegis, the 6500 has the Elite series.

• MH81 said thank you

#13 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted July 19, 2015 - 05:29 PM

Hi! Are we going too fast for you? Are we assuming you have mechanical skills? Let us know how you are with tools and we can walk you through this.

You have to understand that most lawn techs charge so much that they would have to charge you more to do advanced repairs than most people would want to pay, thus; "May we show you something nice in red metal flake?"

Hey, my everyday mower has some flatness on the piston. Should I be worried?

#14 kpost OFFLINE  

kpost
  • 6 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 19, 2015 - 05:41 PM

Ok, let me start from the start.  I pulled the mower in the garage to change the oil before i started to mow with it this year.  That was in late May.  After changing the oil, i tried to start it, but it wouldn't turn over.  I went and purchased a new battery and it (the mower) tried to start when the starter and fly wheel started to make a grinding noise, Not Good.  I took the starter off and it was in pieces(the part that goes into the flywheel when activated).  I had to buy a new starter, which i did.  When i put it on, it made some grounding noise again and i looked up under the shrowed and saw that the fly wheel was missing a lot of teeth.  I then had to order another flywheel(another story) and finally got the correct one.  I put it all back together and started having problems trying to get it to start.  The starter engages, then won't turn the flywheel(according to the Sears guy because of the compression issue)  I am now at the point that i was talking about where when i get it going, it slows down when the mower is engaged.  

The tractor itself has a 65 inch cut, and i have a pull behind mower that i attach to the back to give me more of a cutting swathe.  Is this too much weight for this garden tractor.  The Garden tractor itself has a Kohler 26 hp motor.  Its number is PS-SV735-0016.  I will try to send some pictures when i can.  I do hope that this clears things up for everyone.  Thanks again, kpost

• MH81 said thank you

#15 kpost OFFLINE  

kpost
  • 6 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 19, 2015 - 05:47 PM

My skills around the shop aren't great.  when i something works out right, i am wowed and anxiously wait for it to fail.  I have put a rebuild kit into my big bear 4 wheeler.  kpost

• MH81 said thank you