#1 GTpicker01 ONLINE  

GTpicker01

GT Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 42575
  • 578 Thanks
  • 518 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 12:26 PM

Guys I need a little advice. I was given a chance to buy a barn fresh 1943 farmall h for $500. It fires up nice runs and drives and was converted to 12 volt. Has the swinging drawbar and lights. Also has good tires on it. It is straight with good tin as well. Now it does smoke pretty bad and I don't have the tools to rebuild a big farm tractor so I have to factor that in. All the gauges seem to work and the pto and everything works. I have always wanted to tackle a farm tractor restoration so let me know what you guys think.

Mike

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 12:28 PM

Why haven't you bought it yet?!!!!!

• GTpicker01 said thank you

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 12:44 PM

Have done many big MM's and you talk about being different!  Farmalls and Olivers are pretty simple engines and much easier to find parts for also. If it already works on all those areas that is the big plus. I would do ring and head job, maybe bearings and let rest stay same. Even on the bearings, if not really too badly worn, will last a big longer as is. BUT, maybe with better compression and such might show up weak spot on them. Pretty much have to do whole dissassembly  for the rings anyway, so maybe Rod bearings at least. Gets worse when the cranks is worn and needs work, THEN, it is tear-down big time with slplitting and hoists and such. Never know what you got till into it and measuring.

#4 GTpicker01 ONLINE  

GTpicker01

GT Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 578 Thanks
  • 518 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 01:48 PM

Have done many big MM's and you talk about being different! Farmalls and Olivers are pretty simple engines and much easier to find parts for also. If it already works on all those areas that is the big plus. I would do ring and head job, maybe bearings and let rest stay same. Even on the bearings, if not really too badly worn, will last a big longer as is. BUT, maybe with better compression and such might show up weak spot on them. Pretty much have to do whole dissassembly for the rings anyway, so maybe Rod bearings at least. Gets worse when the cranks is worn and needs work, THEN, it is tear-down big time with slplitting and hoists and such. Never know what you got till into it and measuring.

Ok thanks for the info. I didn't think the price was too far out of reach I just never ventured into farm tractors before.

#5 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 03:52 PM

Get it for sure! Restoration is the same procedure but on a larger scale. Only problem is that it takes up a lot of space in your garage/ shop. Good luck. Tom C

#6 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 04:48 PM

That's pretty darn cheap for a running H!  Tires for the back alone would cost you more than that.  I'd be running to get it were it me.  Easy enough to work on.  We have 4 of them at the farm.

• GTpicker01 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 08:44 PM

They are a great tractor for restoration or just to use. The heads are prone to cracking on them, usually between one and two. Take a look at the plugs as that will tell you a lot about the internals. I run one for a few years doing light hay work, bar mower, rake, hay racks, etc. Used a quart of oil a day and 2 or 3 plug changes. Always kept two extra plugs with me. clean them at night and dirty them the next day. If it ain't red - leave it in the shed !
  • GTpicker01 and Marty'70 have said thanks

#8 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 729 Thanks
  • 632 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 09:13 PM

They are a great tractor for restoration or just to use. The heads are prone to cracking on them, usually between one and two. Take a look at the plugs as that will tell you a lot about the internals. I run one for a few years doing light hay work, bar mower, rake, hay racks, etc. Used a quart of oil a day and 2 or 3 plug changes. Always kept two extra plugs with me. clean them at night and dirty them the next day. If it ain't red - leave it in the shed !

Some say tractors are like watermelons.

#9 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 729 Thanks
  • 632 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 09:14 PM

Keep the red. Throw away the green...
  • Gtractor, GTpicker01 and Jazz have said thanks

#10 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 10:19 PM

I'd buy it in a second, the parts are worth 4X that amount maybe more pending on tires.

Good luck!

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted July 19, 2015 - 06:33 AM

The big things are touched on above, but I will echo the storage statement.
You will find two or more GT's worth of room gone.

Ask me how I know.

#12 GTpicker01 ONLINE  

GTpicker01

GT Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 578 Thanks
  • 518 posts

Posted July 19, 2015 - 07:30 AM

The big things are touched on above, but I will echo the storage statement.
You will find two or more GT's worth of room gone.

Ask me how I know.

I have room for it so that isn't a huge issue.

#13 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted July 19, 2015 - 01:04 PM

The heads are prone to cracking on them, usually between one and two. 

That's a known problem on the gas start diesels like the MD and the WD6 when not properly cooled down.  Never heard of that on any of the gas tractors of that era though.  Honestly have never seen one that was.

#14 bigfordyt16 OFFLINE  

bigfordyt16
  • Member No: 73055
  • 17 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted July 19, 2015 - 09:51 PM

we have a farmal h we got gave it a paint job a rebuilt the engine it was pretty cheap.. for a tractor that is we havnt had any problems with it besides the fact that its crank start only it has a mag no hydrolic pump,belt pulley setup or a swinging drawbar but it has lighter wheels on it with out me on it it weighs 3200 yea if i were you id get that h

#15 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted July 20, 2015 - 12:47 AM

I paid about that much for mine 5 years ago with it seized and shot tires all the way around if you just do rings and bearings its easy and not a lot of specialty tools needed I would take the head to a machine shop and have them check it over but if it's just going to be a show tractor and not do much work dont worry about it smoking