• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 robert scharp OFFLINE  

robert scharp

• Member No: 3449
  • 4 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 11:47 AM

i had A husquvarna gas blower ......$160.00 It went bad after 2 years, and i am one of those guys whos equipment never looks used.I toook it have it repaired ,and the guy called me and said the piston was scored.can't fix it  to cheap of blower. What!! i only use this thing 10 times  summer.I asked HOW did the piston get this way. He did not have an intelliget answer "i don't know.-------------"mixing oil and gas i have never shaken it up once mixed , maybe i was running this 2-cycle blower without needed oil ,--by not shaking the can .whats your im pression on this?. i gotta get one today............or very soon.   bob s thank you for reading this

• MH81 said thank you

#2 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 12:01 PM

That may be your problem, not mixing the oil and gas well enough after adding the oil.  I always shake the gas can for a minute or so after adding oil.  I've got a backpack blower that I've had for at least 15 years and never had that type of a problem.  Talk to the dealer you purchase the new blower from and see what they say about mixing your oil and gas.  Good luck.

• Alc said thank you

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,567 Thanks
  • 3,950 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 01:03 PM

I usually give the can a shake or two when I refill the string trimmer, just in case it might have separated.

#4 robert scharp OFFLINE  

robert scharp

• Member No: 3449
  • 4 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 01:05 PM

Now i am getting somewhere. I also looked up additives; after seeing z-max for this very problelm What i found was seafoam mixed in will help stabalize the gas -oil mixture.same way--- but shaking up the mix>>>I saw my dad ........now gone 15 years   ,             I seen him shake the mix up after pouring the gas in..he was right again..i get in a hurry and don't think,  therefore i'm shooting my own foot. all the time.  thanks for the tip. I will now looking for the next priced husqvarnaup And treat it to some better care thank you shorty and Dthomp   bob s

Edited by robert scharp, July 18, 2015 - 01:07 PM.

• shorty said thank you

#5 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 03:03 PM

I have not had any problems with 2 cycle motors for lawn mowers, blowers and weed eaters over the years,

I also put the oil in the gas can before I get new gas.  I might shake the can a little before I add gas to them.

#6 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 03:15 PM

I have not had any problems with 2 cycle motors for lawn mowers, blowers and weed eaters over the years,

I also put the oil in the gas can before I get new gas.  I might shake the can a little before I add gas to them.

Thats is what I have always heard and done.... add gas to the oil ,not oil to the gas. I dont use alot of 2stroke gas, just a little in the chainsaw/ blower, mostly in the weedwacker. I mix up 2 gallons and it lasts a year. I pre mix the gas in the golf cart and only use 5 gallons a year in it. I have never had a problem with any of them other then the Stihl FS46 muffler crapping up.

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,676 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 03:22 PM

I've got a Stihl blower that my SIL gave me. It blows much stronger than the bargain brand ones.

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 03:52 PM

I've got a Stihl blower that my SIL gave me. It blows much stronger than the bargain brand ones.

I agree.  I bought a little Stihl hand held blower last year and I love that thing.  I was hestitant at first because the MPH was lower than some other blowers.  My dealer said that it's not the MPH that matters so much as the volume of air it moves.  The Stihl moves much more air.  After that blower and my chainsaw that's now around 20 years old, I've decided that everything is going to be Stihl.  The stuff may not be perfect but it's better than probably anything else you're going to find.

• Trav1s and LilysDad have said thanks

#9 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,567 Thanks
  • 3,950 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 04:46 PM

Another thing I like to do is make the oil mix stronger than called for. And after about 4-5 month it gets dumped into a tractor to use it up. 

#10 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 08:39 PM

I think you need to consider several things, today's ethanol gas, octane rating of the gas you use, how long it sets , how often you use it.

I used to run Husky's stuff exclusively 262xp and 242xp saws, a 265 (?) brush cutter and one of their straight shaft string trimmers model escapes me, all bought around the same time ( unbelievably to me close to 20 yrs ago). All gone now but the brush cutter it is a friggin beast! I switched to Stihl magnum saws when I wore the Huskys out, I felt they overcame the emissions BS better than Husqvarna with less performance loss (just a IMO) .

Replacing the string trimmer led me to a Redmax BCZ2660TS (it too is )truly a beast, I went commercial grade because it gets a lot of use, I couldn't be happier with it! It's purchase and perusing the dealers show room led me to their HBZ2610 blower it is a commercial rated unit as well. I spent the extra money on the Redmax pieces figuring if I do my part they will last as long as the old Husky units did . They make all levels of units to fit user needs and budget.( I heard Husqvarna bought them out to get their emissions standards technology).

I'll close with saying good gas is a must with small engines and it especially important on two strokes. I've switched all my GT's to 90 octane ethanol free and have switched my two strokes to SEF or VP 94 octane premix , I don't use my chainsaws as much anymore and a six pack of quarts gets me thru a season of using my two stroke stuff ,IMO talking to the chainsaw techs and research has backed me off from running the new two stroke machines with a richer mix than called for 50:1 spec means just that run 50:1, richer mix = poor performance.

#11 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 09:03 PM

I have a homelite from depot it was cheap and i hate it. Yes you get what pay for. After about 2 or 3rd time it would barely run and cut out. After screwing around with it I had the plastic cover off the air filter it fired right up and ran like a champ. Popped the cover same issue. Here the cheap thin plastic was getting sucked tight cutting the air off. So needless to say it has not had an air filter on it since.

#12 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 10:49 PM

yes - ethanol can be bad for any old 4 or 2 cycle motor.

I had to go to the next town over to get regular unleaded gas.  I fill up my 5 and 2.5 gallon gas can for the gt and other 4 cycle motors and my 2 gallon can for my 2 cycle motors ( Stihl blower/vac. 4 years old, Snapper push mower 20+ years old, Ryan weed eater 15+ years old and two small tillers 15+ years old). And they all still work great.

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 10:57 PM

I would repeat most of the above and add Stihl stuff is superior to husky

#14 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,676 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted July 19, 2015 - 06:24 AM

My local L&G dealer suggested that I buy a can of that premix gas/oil in the fall and run it before putting the machine away. I said the stuff was too expensive. He clarified that it was just to use in the fall so that there was pure gas in the machine for storage.

• sodisr said thank you