6 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas OFFLINE  

Thomas

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1663
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 04, 2011 - 08:15 PM

Want to switch from Magneto to External Electric 6V Coil 1948 Cub and not for sure what to do, any suggestions, notes pics or wise comments

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,603 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted April 04, 2011 - 08:31 PM

I'm not much experienced with the Mags, but I'm guessing tractormike can help you get it wired up. I believe all you have to do is unhook all wires from the points, then hook them up to your external coil as with std battery powered ignition. Will require the proper condenser also.

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted April 04, 2011 - 08:35 PM

I'm not much experienced with the Mags, but I'm guessing tractormike can help you get it wired up. I believe all you have to do is unhook all wires from the points, then hook them up to your external coil as with std battery powered ignition. Will require the proper condenser also.

Yeah I remember my Grandfather did the same conversion on the 49' cub he had. He just left the old Magneto there and re-wired the coil in

#4 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 06:03 AM

Do you want to leave the mag in place and just add the coil for the spark or do you want to replace the mag entirely? Using the mag for their points and distributer part and adding a coil and a new ignition switch is the cheaper way to go. Replacing the mag would mean you would have to find the distributer assembly and swap it out for the mag. Let me know which way you want to do it and I will help you out.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 06:17 AM

Also, why the change? Is it beyond repair?
There are a few people out there rebuilding them.
But I will defer to the wiser here as to which way is better to go.

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 06:46 AM

From what I remember, My grandfather went to coil because he always had trouble starting the tractor. Once the magneto was converted to coil it would start as soon as you pulled the start lever.
He also did the conversion on the SC Case tractor he had.
I think the coil was the cheaper and easier road to take

#7 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 07:59 AM

The most common problem I have run across with the old magnetos is that the insulation in the windings starts to go bad and they ground out internally and quit running. Most of the time they will start and run but then once the mag gets warm they start to short out. The quick and cheap fix for this is adding an external coil to create the spark and use the mags points and distributer system. Besides the coil you need a new ignition switch as the mag switch is only one wire and grounds out the mag to stop and the new switch needs to have two wires and carry current to the coil to run.
If you have the mag rebuilt the tractor would still be original and should be good to go for a long time. I am not sure on the cub tractors but the Farmall letter seires were available with with a mag or regular ignition depending on what was ordered new. My 1949 M and 1939 and 1945 A's were original with the mag. I converted one of them to the complete coil and electric distributer as the mag on that tractor destroyed itself when the impulse coupling in the drive system came apart while it was running and broke the main housing on the mag.
Are you wanting to keep your Cub original or just to get it running?