1 reply to this topic

#1 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 07:25 PM

Looking at a 1250 cub with the 44a deck. Wondering if the spindles are rebuildable? On my Deeres and Fords, I can take the deck spindles apart and put new bearings in them. Is it possible to do the same thing on the 44a spindles?

Or do I have to buy complete assemblies if the bearings go bad?

Thanks in advance!

#2 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 504 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 09:13 PM

It depends on what kind of spindles the deck has.  Originally they came with what was called water pump type bearings that aren't rebuildable and are no longer available and had stamped metal pieces for the housing.  The later 44C decks came with an aluminium housing, shaft and tapered roller bearings that are an off the shelf standard bearing that any parts store or bearing house should have.  The newer ones will fit right in the older decks without any problems.  I've done this a few times at work when one of the old style ones went bad, and have even put both in on the same deck when I had too.  If you need new bearing assemblies you could always try to find a 38, 44, or 50 C deck or one of the GT 38, 42, 46, 48, or 54 inch decks that rotted out and get the spindle assemblies out of it.  The housing, bearings, seals, and shaft are the same on all of them but the pulleys are different.  I included a picture out of the parts books that show what the differences are, and if you look underneath the deck its easy to tell if they're original or have been changes to the newer style.  The old style housing is smooth and the new aluminium one has vertical ribs on the outer edge.  The first pic is the old and the second is the new.  Hope this helps.        Stewart

20150717_215227.jpg 20150717_215315.jpg

• Alc, motobreeder, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks