new cub cadet 128 owner

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tdfitz867 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 73208
  • 4 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 03:35 PM

I have bought a 1973 model cub cadet 128 with the roto tiller, dump trailer, and wheel barrow attachment.. with a 44" deck, after getting it home, and replacing the old battery, cleaning out the fuel tank, replacing the fuel, cleaning out the old fuel filter, and replacing it with an inline fuel filter. replaced the spark plug.. and off we go on a test ride,  well I wanted to give her another test.. I even took it to a slightly overgrown lot next to our place.  The mower worked flawlessly, the 12 hp kohler motor truly impressed me, I was under the assumption that with it only have 12 hp.. it would struggle to run the 44" deck to full capacity, but after going through the over-grown lot like it did, I have no reservations.  Now, the not so good part, with it being an older machine, I should have investigated a little more thorough, after the mowing and another trip with my son, we heard a loud bang, and it shimmied a little.  Immediately we drove right up the drive-way and parked.  on investigation I discovered a piece of the clutch assembly to be missing, and the clutch plate was what was causing the vibration, it was more or less just rotating around driveshaft.. Now I have to replace the clutch.. what does anyone recommend to accomplish this, I am figuring that I will more or less have to remove the entire motor, but if there is an easier way to accomplish this I humbly seek the advice of the more seasoned restoration guys/gals.. I am glad to have found this site, I found it to be very informative and helpful.. I look forward to hearing your replies.  

Pics will soon follow after I get them taken and posted.

Travis from east TN.

• oldedeeres, Coventry Plumber and BNK have said thanks

#2 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,742 Thanks
  • 2,163 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 04:44 PM

Welcome to the site.

Someone with Cub knowledge will be along soon. 

Edited by TomLGT195, July 17, 2015 - 04:44 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,520 Thanks
  • 7,382 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 05:39 PM

Welcome to GTT. Check our Manuals Section(3 free downloads per day) for the correct manuals. You probably need to change the oil in the engine and the transmission too. Check with our sponsors for parts. Good Luck, Rick

Try these:   http://gardentractor...erators-manual/    http://gardentractor...09128129-flier/    http://gardentractor...50-service-man/   this service manual is very good.

Edited by boyscout862, July 17, 2015 - 06:04 PM.

• TomLGT195 and tdfitz867 have said thanks

#4 Gabriel OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 08:30 PM

• tdfitz867 said thank you

#5 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,548 Thanks
  • 3,080 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 01:00 AM

Welcome aboard.

• tdfitz867 said thank you

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 443 posts

Posted July 19, 2015 - 07:27 AM

Welcome Travis from East TN! A bench press will be most useful for sure. To save anymore typing about the whole process you will find several videos on youtube to help you.