Unused tractor

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 alec OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61353
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted July 29, 2015 - 06:26 PM

I guess this is too big to qualify for a GT forum. - http://gardentractor...garden-tractor/

I would hate to see what you would do to that poor truck with " heavy machinery " :poke:

#17 Oldford OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 570 posts

Posted July 31, 2015 - 07:44 AM

As for when to sell i just had to make that hard decision sold off my best GT because it just wasn't the best for my needs any more and i don't have room to store them all.

As for old gt vs. bigger/newer i keep upsizing my gt's for the comfort factor, bigger tires, fewer passes to make, etc, but keep the size limit at what i can store and work on.  I buy the newest/best shape i can afford which is currently 1982, maybe by 2020 i can afford something from the 90's

#18 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted August 03, 2015 - 01:38 PM

I think it depends on why you HAVE a GT (or GT's).....

Some folks are looking to have ONE machine that does their mowing, gardening, etc, and it is a quest for the best machine and attachments to do that, within the budget and discretionary funds. 

Others are collectors, and have a bunch of machines that are pristine, rare, what have you.

Some enjoy having some piece of the past - something that is from a time with different values.

As for me, I like to tinker and fix - as well as some interest in the past and better built stuff. I have a couple tractors with sentimental value ( I bought my BIL's 110 round fender show tractor when he passed) that rarely see more than token use to keep them up and running. I also have a couple tractors that are modifications for practicality (my Ford LGT with Vtwin repower, and my 318 diesel project) that I use a lot and would PROBABLY not sell till I replaced them with something better for my needs. Beyond that, I have a whole slew of machines that I fix up and bring back to health in my spare time that are used for a while then go to new homes and get me a few $$$.

It's my HOBBY and it keeps me sane - I'm not out to make money, just keep the hobby going without hitting the family budget too hard!

I enjoy doing the fix up and learning about new brands - moved from Deere to Ford/Jacobsen and now am into Cubs - so learning about all the Cub qwerks and peculiarities. I like the thrill of the hunt - finding that musty old machine in somebodies back shed and bringing it back to life. But I can only ride one at a time, and there is always a new project to be found. So they don't always stay around too long.... smile...

If I ever get tired of tinkering with them, I would sell everything off except for one at each location, err well, maybe 2, but would need a specialized one to do........ you get the idea......   :thumbs:

Edited by Tennblue59, August 03, 2015 - 01:39 PM.