• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • Member No: 51604
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 02:23 PM

Does anyone else feel like - if you have a nice tractor you should use it. Unfortunate mine is sitting under a tarp getting no use. The question is - at what point should I sell?
  • grnspot110, Alc, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 02:27 PM

I have several that I don't use regularly. Most have sentimental value to me and the family. The rest though are ones I bought for whatever reason. I just can't get rid of them that easy. I do run them sometimes and some need repair but selling for me just isn't in the cards now. I like them to much. JM2CW !               Roger

• Alc, KennyP, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#3 Chopperhed ONLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 03:05 PM

I have 4, 3 that run, and 1 needing a magneto.

I like them, I like to own them, I like to work on them, and I like to operate them.

One gets used as my go-to mower. The little Ford needs a mag, but it's my backup  mower. I have one that only gets used to pull my boat out of the yard, it has a PTO and tiller, but I have nothing to till. It's only run a few minutes in the last 3 years. The fourth one is my crawler. It needs a rebuild on the trans, and I'll be darned if I know what the heck I'm going to do with it, but it's mine.

Selling one of them is a hard choice to make.

I'd rather sell something else first. Actually street bike or boat would go first. I have plans, and someday they may work out. The bike and boat have been used less than anything else. The tractors have a place in my plans, and if plans should somehow change, they are good for cool parts to build thing with.

It's a tough call,

I guess it depends on how much you need the money, and how much you love the tractor.

• Alc, hamman, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#4 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,806 Thanks
  • 2,218 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 03:06 PM

sell when you are ready, I have a few that set around and am happy just to have them.  Eventually I will sell them but not till I am ready :D

• grnspot110, hamman, Cvans and 5 others have said thanks

#5 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 03:41 PM

sell when you are ready, I have a few that set around and am happy just to have them.  Eventually I will sell them but not till I am ready :D

Thats about it...I wont let something rot away though.
  • hamman, Cvans, Chopperhed and 2 others have said thanks

#6 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 04:15 PM

When my son and I started collecting about 12 years ago, they then became pets, so we could never sell them.  I change mowers each week, and find some thing for the other ones to do to keep them active. Since I got the finish mower for the Ferguson tractor, I really don't need four garden tractors and three or four lawn tractors for cutting grass.  Don't tell my wife I said that please.   Noel

• grnspot110, Alc, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#7 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 04:25 PM

I've had several over the years, some of mine were show tractors, some use & show.  I recently decided to sell the ones I don't use, still have my compact utility, one "classic" which I do use, one "garden tractor" & one "lawn tractor", no regrets.  Still enough for a load for shows & do the jobs I need to do!

As petrj6 said, "sell when you are ready"!

• Alc, hamman, Delmar and 2 others have said thanks

#8 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 05:21 PM

. . . . . I really don't need four garden tractors and three or four lawn tractors for cutting grass.  Don't tell my wife I said that please.   Noel

Is it worth some smoked salmon to keep my trap shut?

• MH81, grnspot110, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#9 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 07:16 PM

As long as they're not eating too much tractors pretty well have a permanent home here, lol. I do cover the tires to keep them from weathering, distribute poison judicially in the fall and tarp them to keep snow and rain out. But if you're not attached to them and someone who will appreciate and work them comes along, why not sell?
  • MH81, hamman, middleageddeere and 4 others have said thanks

#10 Chopperhed ONLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 08:45 PM

As long as they're not eating too much tractors pretty well have a permanent home here, lol. I do cover the tires to keep them from weathering, distribute poison judicially in the fall and tarp them to keep snow and rain out. But if you're not attached to them and someone who will appreciate and work them comes along, why not sell?

That's a well said valid point.

• hamman, oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#11 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 07:24 AM

I've had several times in my life where someone would have a lot of antique tractors, cars or something else and wouldn't be willing to part with them but wasn't ever going to do anything with them either.  To me it seems better to sell them and let someone else enjoy them then let them sit.  On the other hand, I also believe in having a GT for each job; one for mowing, one for snow plowing, one for pulling a cart, one to yell at while fixing it....   :smilewink:

• grnspot110, oldedeeres and Oldford have said thanks

#12 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted July 20, 2015 - 07:20 PM

I had a Case 446 that was just sitting in the shed. I liked the features it had, but that size tractor just isn't big enough to do any real work. I thought about trying to make a loader for it, but ruled that out because if it isn't big enough for other chores, it wouldn't be able to do much with a loader.

I had been thinking about selling it for several months. When I finally stumbled onto a deal on a bigger tractor with a loader, selling the 446 was the next thing I did.

I only get "attached" to things that are useful to me. I know a lot of people look for things to do to get "seat time". I have enough to do without looking for things to do. I want a tractor that's big enough to get the job done and get me out of the seat.

All it took to motivate me to sell was getting a tractor big enough to actually do something.

• Oldford said thank you

#13 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted July 20, 2015 - 07:43 PM

I had a Case 446 that was just sitting in the shed. I liked the features it had, but that size tractor just isn't big enough to do any real work

I want a tractor that's big enough to get the job done and get me out of the seat.

All it took to motivate me to sell was getting a tractor big enough to actually do something.

Are you really sure you belong on a GT forum? I mean we all appreciate you here, but you really need to be looking into some heavy construction machinery.

Edited by LilysDad, July 20, 2015 - 07:54 PM.

• Bolens 1000 and KennyP have said thanks

#14 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • Member No: 51604
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 12:56 PM

I get it. Garden tractors I feel are the gateway into BIGGER TRACTORS. I hope that my garden tractor hobby will convince my wife we need a farm. A farm would allow me to purchase some big toys! For now the John Deere 140 with FEL is a blast to spread mulch and dirt.

#15 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted July 29, 2015 - 06:09 PM

Are you really sure you belong on a GT forum? I mean we all appreciate you here, but you really need to be looking into some heavy construction machinery.

I guess this is too big to qualify for a GT forum. - http://gardentractor...garden-tractor/