#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 10:56 PM

That Larson boat with bad Chevy engine I'm giving up on. No time to work on it, seems harder than thought to find that engine and over-priced for the REAL Mercruiser one's, so gonna quit and move on. Only asking $400. Boat pretty good shape, Mercruiser drive good, trailer and boat titled my name now, come get it.  I don't have time and money to work on it and do it right. Have real nice manual for repairs go with it.

• MH81, Chopperhed and tom tractor have said thanks

#2 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 09:05 AM

The way it sounds, that might be a hot seller at Portland this year GL.

• Chopperhed said thank you

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 12:25 PM

That motor is more than likely a Buick Marine motor. Just about any GM engine, in line or V, would work. Just have to change all the externals over. If you find one that has MerCruser on it you will pay double for that name alone due to the special motor mounts, water pick up, intake, etc., etc. Basic block was the same for the most part. GM built those motors for years. Good luck.

Edited by chieffan, July 17, 2015 - 12:27 PM.

• Chopperhed said thank you

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 10:15 PM

Been thru all the motor stuff I want to look for. Seems it is the GM Iron Duke, started in Chevy 2's and later Pontiac built and was same when had carbs and manifolds all one side. Later engines have flow-thru heads with manifolds diff sides and I can't use that style. Also missing on later years is the two bolt holes on front of block on left side for my engine mount to bolt to. The Left side stays there on those holes, but right sides disappear later. Also need the Chevy bellhouse pattern and not the narrower Pontiac style like many had. I was also told the metal content is diff, cause marine engines run close to wide open all the time and have that cold water coming into them constant so is diff casting mix. THAT sounds kinda odd, but who knows for sure. Just tired of looking, studying, working on thins and it's gotta go now. This thing runs great with no water, but the block side and exhaust manifold leak when using water with it. Still runs good tho. BUT, few weeks later tried to start/crank and cylinders full of water and hydro locking. Pulled plugs and water flew out when cranking. SO, head cracked too? or water from manifold crank going into open valves?

• Cvans said thank you

#5 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 12:11 AM

I feel for you. Sometimes the school of hard knocks can be darned painful. Here's hoping you can find a buyer.  :thumbs:

#6 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,450 Thanks
  • 3,359 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 07:08 AM

The water was passing the valves I'm sure. The Iron Duke was based on the old Chevy II motor, but had significant improvements. As for marine engines being different, they sure are! The amount of difference depends on the original's strength, the power output, etc... My 540 cu in big block Chevy engines in my Donzi were the same castings Mercruiser used, but there were several variations in the 454/496/502 and 540 blocks, for street, race, or marine use. Same held true for the 4's, inline and V6 variants as well as the small blocks. I'm sure the other brands were similar. The rear mount bell housing is the same as all V8 Chevy, modifying the front mounts is very simple, a V6 or V8 would be a simple one day swap and used manifolds are available all over the web.