• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 10:37 PM

Anyone know what Sears/Roper wheel weights are filled with.

Have two very heavy weights that came off a Roper front end loader I had years ago.

After laying in the sand for over 20 years I dug them up and found they fit exactly on the recently acquired Craftsman II which is my utility tractor.

The one is in great shape, the other no so good. 

Something chewed the plastic around the perimeter of back side...the entire back covering is gone.

After a thorough cleaning I found whatever the filler is to be broken in several pieces, all there, just majorly broke with fractures all the way through.

Can't see the front side as the outer rim and front are intact.

I'm entertaining putting a dam, if you will, around the remainder of the back rim and pouring epoxy in after the holes are re-sleeved and applying vibration to get the epoxy into all the nooks and crannies.

I've never seen mortar, cement, that glitters...this stuff is loaded with shiny particles, but it appears to be some form of masonry material. 

Think the epoxy idea will work?  Anyone?

Edited by Phluphy, July 16, 2015 - 10:55 PM.

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 07:15 AM

If it's the kind of pinkish sandy looking stuff, I presume some type of cement type substance. Not really sure why it shines, mine did the same thing. Maybe fine particles of some type of metal to give it extra weight, I dunno.

I have one like that which broke out some and you could hear sand moving inside wheel. I just mixed up a running sand/portland cement mix and poured it in there. Held up over a couple years until I switch out to different weights.

• MH81 and Phluphy have said thanks

#3 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 08:12 AM

If it's the kind of pinkish sandy looking stuff, I presume some type of cement type substance. Not really sure why it shines, mine did the same thing. Maybe fine particles of some type of metal to give it extra weight, I dunno.

I have one like that which broke out some and you could hear sand moving inside wheel. I just mixed up a running sand/portland cement mix and poured it in there. Held up over a couple years until I switch out to different weights.

good idea!  ought to add that one to tech tips....

• TAHOE and Phluphy have said thanks

#4 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 09:18 AM

Not "pinkish", somewhat grey but noticeably heavier than regular mortar.

• TAHOE said thank you

#5 JiminRI OFFLINE  

JiminRI
  • Member No: 62914
  • 65 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 09:26 PM

The newer wheel weights all seem to crack fairly quickly.  For a permanent solution, I made my own wheel weights for my SS-16 simply by melting clean tire weight lead into an old 10 inch frying pan. Each weight is about 35 pounds - about the same as the original Sears weights. It is very easy to drill out mounting holes. And the weights will never rust, so I didn't even have to paint them.

I bought 100 pounds of lead as scrap from a tire dealer. I used the remaining lead to make a plate to mount on the drawbar.

I posted this to the "Metal  Wheel Weights" thread in early August.

JiminRI

• KennyP and TAHOE have said thanks