• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rmarkw OFFLINE  

rmarkw
  • Member No: 73217
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 09:35 PM

I just purchased a Jacobsen 53500 with the Hydro tranny, a front blade, rear lift, no pto or deck.  I believed I got burned.  Someone replaced the 19 h.p. kohler with a 25 h.p. kohler.  The engine runs great.  The problem is when going forward up any kind of incline the entire tractor vibrates and won't move.  It has plenty of power going in reverse up hills, the front lift, power steering, and rear lift all seem to work. The guy I bought it from had it parked on the highest point in his yard and let me test drive it down to the road.  Now I know why...it was all on a slight downward incline.  I thought he was trustworthy, since he was a deputy sheriff.  :wallbanging:

Any how.  How difficult and costly are eaton/peerless hydrotrans to rebuild?  Or maybe it's best to just part it out?

I've already drained the fluid and changed filter. The hydro fluid and filter looked brand new.  So somebody had been trying to fix the problem.

Thanks for any advice.

#2 Diesel1050 ONLINE  

Diesel1050

Diesel Nut!

• Member No: 69580
  • 348 Thanks
  • 396 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 08:39 AM

Sounds like the driveshaft might be loose?
  • rmarkw said thank you

#3 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,760 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 09:05 AM

:welcometogttalk:

• rmarkw said thank you

#4 rmarkw OFFLINE  

rmarkw
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for the welcome crittersf1 and thanks for the advice Diesel1050.  It could be the driveshaft.  It's worth a look anyway.  I know that's were most of the vibrations are coming from.  I assumed it was because the tranny didn't want to move.  I'm working tomorrow, so it will have to wait until Sunday.  Not going to get my hopes up, but sure would be nice if were a simple fix.

#5 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 09:35 PM

I think this is the same as Ford LGT 195. There should be service manuals in the manual section & the LGT 165, 145, & 125 use a similar axle to this. Many members have worked on these. These members should be around to help with this & the Ford Forum has some information on all of these tractors.

Charlie

• KennyP and rmarkw have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 05:18 AM

I think this is the same as Ford LGT 195. There should be service manuals in the manual section & the LGT 165, 145, & 125 use a similar axle to this. Many members have worked on these. These members should be around to help with this & the Ford Forum has some information on all of these tractors.

Charlie

You are correct there, Charlie!  It is the same as the 195. There are some manuals in the Transmission section on the Eaton/Peerless. I haven't been into one, so now help there.

• rmarkw said thank you

#7 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,411 Thanks
  • 3,162 posts

Posted July 19, 2015 - 05:19 AM

First thing you need to do is actually verify if its the hydro unit or the trans-axle that is causing this? Is it noisy? Making a whining noise only when trying to move? These units are very simple inside, but very precise , so taking one apart to fix isn't bad, only issue..... You can't easily get parts anymore .
If in fact it is the hydro, swap it out with a good one, very easy to do if your mechanically inclined.
I think some of the sight sponsors may have a hydro unit that will work for you, i would recommend one from the newer generation machines, like maybe the Ford lgt 17H made by Gilson, these tractors seemed to fail much sooner than the Jacobsen built machines thus leaving behind a prestine hydro-transaxle for parts. It will not swap into yours as a complete unit because the axles are wrong, but it can be used for all internal parts.
  • TomLGT195 and rmarkw have said thanks

#8 rmarkw OFFLINE  

rmarkw
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted July 19, 2015 - 10:05 PM

I checked the driveshaft today. No luck. It only makes noise when trying to go uphill in forward.  No problems going uphill in reverse.  I couldn't copy and paste the trouble shooting from the manual, so I took a screen shot. Also took a picture of my large, orange, handsome, Jacobsen, paperweight.

hydro trouble shooting
Jacobsen
Tractorholic, I'm only mechanically inclined if I have a good visual guide to follow. I wouldn't trust myself in a hydro. I think I could get it off the transaxle, if there is someone or someplace that rebuilds them?? Any ideas? Anyone know of someone in the central KY area that would work on the hydro?  I assume it is the hydo.

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted July 20, 2015 - 04:10 AM

According to the member map, there are several members not too far away. Just not sure how many have been in a hydro before.

• rmarkw said thank you

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted July 20, 2015 - 05:27 AM

Did you see if you pulled a load with the tractor on level ground , say trying to pull a log , to see if it does it ?

• rmarkw said thank you

#11 rmarkw OFFLINE  

rmarkw
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted July 20, 2015 - 09:31 PM

Alc, I tried putting the blade down in gravel. In reverse, it would spin the tires, but in forward, same noise and vibration and no go.  I'm looking into getting a used hydo. From the manual, it looks like a check valve is stuck open or worn. Found the members map.  Might come in handy.

• KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks