• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kentobento OFFLINE  

kentobento
  • Member No: 73204
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 11:08 AM

I made the mistake of leaving the key on and I drained the battery.  When I went to boost it messed up and hooked up the cables reverse polarity for about a minute until I realized.  By that time I fried the battery...  Now I have a new battery and tractor starts and runs great but when I pull the PTO switch nothing happens...  When I investigated the line down to the electric clutch, I noticed some burning on the red line.  It looks like the diode is fried  (See picture I took after removing wrap) which probably created a short.  Few questions:

1)  Where would I get a replacement?  
2) Would the PTO switch itself be ruined?  How do I check it with a meter (there are 8 pins on this particular PTO switch).  What pins should I use to check for continuity?  
3)  Looks like clutch is ok as it is still showing 3.5 when check with the meter.  
4)  Can I hook it back up without the diode and will it work (temporarily to check the PTO switch?)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2029.JPG

#2 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 11:38 AM

Replace the diode with a common 10A diode (correct polarity). If you have any dead electronics you might be able to salvage one there, or if there is a Radio Shack still available in your area. The main reason for the diode here is to prevent back EMF getting in to the electrical system when the field colapses when shutting the PTO off.

PS, back EMF can be in the thousands of volts.

Edited by larrybl, July 16, 2015 - 11:40 AM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 kentobento OFFLINE  

kentobento
  • Member No: 73204
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 12:18 PM

Awesome thanks!   I removed the burned out diode and the rest of the wiring is intact.  I assume that if connected now the clutch should still engage (even without the diode)?   At the very least it should show voltage down at that connection point.  

I have sourced diodes from radio shack...  which end goes which way?   Sorry for the silly question... not an electrical person.  what goes to red and what to black. 

Edited by kentobento, July 16, 2015 - 12:20 PM.

#4 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 12:58 PM

I can't say for sure which end goes where; but think of a diode as a electrical "check valve." Electricity will only flow one way. A simple test light should allow you to figure out which is the correct way.

#5 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 02:17 PM

Easy. http://www.allaboutc...and-rectifiers/

On the Red wire it goes + -->|-- PTO. Hook it to the Red wire and measure voltage before hooking up PTO, 12V = good, 0V = backwards.