Garden Tractor Forums banner

1973 Wheel Horse 10hp 8-Speed Restore

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  LilysDad 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Restored 1973 Wheel Horse 10hp 8-Speed Lawn & Garden Tractor, model 1-0365

What started out as my every-day "worker", she spun a rod due to a failed dipper on the crank. I needed to do an engine rebuild in order to put the machine back in service, so off we go. After tearing the engine down, measuring the bore and crank journal, I ordered replacement parts. While waiting for them to arrive, I decided to sand blast the engine tins and paint them and the block. By the time the engine was re-assembled and cleaned up, I couldn't bring myself to put the now pretty engine on the scruffy tractor.

As the mission crept even further away from my original intentions, I arrived at the machine you see below. Everything that was broken or worn was fixed or replaced along the way. The bigest and most important repair was fabricating a brand new, hand made, wiring harness. There wasn't an inch of wire anywhere that hadn't been chewed by mice. The only "upgrades" I did to the original machine are; 1) replaced the original seat with a 1974 hi-back spring seat, 2) the 1973 Head & Tail Light "dealer option" kit was installed, and 3) the deck, originally a 42" side-discharge model, was swapped for a later model 42" rear discharge so we can clear some of the garden features on my property.

Before and after shots show, for a 42 y/o machine, she wasn't bad looking at the start of this trip. As a close friend said; "She's ready for another 42 years of work." I gotta agree, she's like riding a brand new machine now, and will serve me well long into my retirement. :) Some of you that don't know me might not believe the following. This machine was painted in Rust-Oleum Regal Red rattle-cans, the engine is done in VHT Hi-Temp Chevy Red engine rattle-can spray paint, and Eastwood's 2K 2-part rattle-can automotive clear coat. I can't shoot HVLP to save my a55, so I've become fairly proficient with the spray bombs. Don't ask me why, just the way it is, and I accept that. All my machines are spray bombed! LOL

Tire Wheel Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Cylinder

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Vehicle Motor vehicle Electric motor Plant Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant Automotive design

Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Audio equipment Gas Auto part

Glove Safety glove Gas Art Machine

Wheel Tire Lawn mower Riding mower Plant

Wheel Tire Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Tractor Automotive tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Lawn mower Vehicle Mower

Tire Wheel Lawn mower Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Vehicle Red Automotive exterior Steering wheel

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Plant

Motor vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Automotive design

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle registration plate Grass

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
Regal Red is nice! I have used that alot. I also now use Massey Ferg Red on lots of things. I'm into the rattle can jobs too. Much less mess, prep and overspray issues and THEN the gun clean-up!

The Horse is really nice now. I have had a few and find one of easiest tractors to run and work on. They had them right! Too pretty to work now. Try to treat it nice!

#12 ·
Sadly, she will remain a "worker". Pretty as she is right now, some have to pull their weight around here. She'll be treated well, as she always has, and one day one of my sons will own her. It'll be up to them, when the time comes, to tear her down and restore her once again ... some day. :)

Reactions: jimbobbillyray
#15 ·
Nothing runs like a Deere! 'Specially one being chased by a Horse!!! LOL :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.