3 replies to this topic

#1 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 353 Thanks
  • 357 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 08:58 PM

Like the title says, I have a hydro release plunger leaking oil on one of my GT18s. I have a couple spare hydro units I can "borrow" one from. Does anyone know of any place that rebuilds these? I've ran these hydros for years in Cub Cadets and Ariens. I've never had a major problem with one, so I don't have much experience with them. I did have to remove both plungers on this particular tractor and clean the plungers after I got the tractor home. They both stuck down when I loaded it on the trailer. That was a few years ago, and they have worked fine since. Thanks in advance for the help.

Billy
  • Dominicmip said thank you

#2 djordje33 OFFLINE  

djordje33
  • Member No: 62653
  • 20 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 07:27 AM

Pull them and soak them overnight, or a couple of days, in WD40. Check for any surface rust or corrosion around the protruding stems. If there is some corrosion, put them in a mix of water/rust dissolver solution, then rinse.  Replace the O-rings on each release valve and reinstall. Be sure to save plastic backer rings and reinstall as previous.  If you need the sizes and/or part #'s, I should have those written down at home. After reassembly, depress protruding stems and look for smooth rebound. If this tractor sits outside, coat the stubs with anti-seize or put some grease around the stem where it protrudes. O-rings have a life too, but they're relatively inexpensive to get something back to par. 

• Billy M said thank you

#3 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 353 Thanks
  • 357 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 11:26 AM

Thanks djordge33.  I'll take it out and see what I can do with it.  I have plenty of O-rings in my shop.  I should have some to fit. The tractor did sit outside for a few years before I got it.  That's why they originally were corroded and stuck.  I'll probably service both plungers while I'm at it.

Billy

#4 djordje33 OFFLINE  

djordje33
  • Member No: 62653
  • 20 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 11:36 AM

Those cartridge valves are usually good forever, unless the rear deck was propped up and it spent the last 10 years outside. Then you drop $125 a pop for each.