• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mattsse OFFLINE  

mattsse
  • Member No: 40455
  • 21 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 08:47 PM

Recently the belt to my transmission came off and got jammed up between the uppermost pulley near the engine and the one beneath which is the pulley for the deck that has the electronic engagement.  The belt was ruined and the electrical connection for the PTO (not sure what it's called) was damaged a bit.

Anyway when I replaced the belt (1/2" x 85") now even though I press the clutch the mower continues to move.  When I push in the clutch two things happen, the belt slackens and a small lever on the side of the transmission is pulled forward. The belt has at least a couple inches of slack in it when this happens.  Still though somehow it grabs.

Now I had to replace the lower seal on this engine and the pulleys were seized on the crank shaft so I had to use a gear puller, that upper most gear was very slightly bent.  I straightened it even more yesterday (it was already near perfect by eye) and even cleaned up the inside so it was smooth but still no luck.

I can think of two options 1)  a slightly longer belt 2)  Try to adjust the existing pulleys to provide more slack in the belt.  

Either way it seems I run the risk of ruining another belt and possibly ruining the electronic engagement wire on the PTO if the belt comes off and jams in there again.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Matt

Edited by mattsse, July 15, 2015 - 08:49 PM.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 08:58 PM

Going to be a dumb question but did you buy a genuine Deere belt?

A john deere 85'' belt is likely not the same as a conventional 85'' off the shelf belt.....

• Trav1s said thank you

#3 DennyIN ONLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 09:21 PM

Ditto on buying a deere belt for a drive system. In the case of John Deere, I have gotten by using generic brand belts on everything but the drive belt. I know the belt will be pricey, but in my opinion, it is worth it.   

#4 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 10:01 AM

www.jdparts.com shows the proper belt for your machine as M114763 which is #17 in this diagram

Attached Thumbnails

• MP15796________UN01MAY96.gif

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 10:06 AM

On drive belts it's usually best to use only OE belts.  I know that some brands have their own pulley V angles that don't match angles on off the shelf belts, and that will cause grabbing.  And as said, lengths may be different, even if specs say that off the shelf will match.

#6 mattsse OFFLINE  

mattsse
  • 21 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 12:17 PM

Yes I bought a generic belt, that sucks - it's going to be pricey I think.

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 01:31 PM

I'm seeing $27-$32 depending on where your shopping.
  • Alc said thank you

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 02:04 PM

John Deere parts prices will surprise you sometimes.  Many things I fear will be terribly high are quite reasonable.  Then there are those other times.......

• Alc said thank you

#9 mattsse OFFLINE  

mattsse
  • 21 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 05:36 PM

I got one for $33 - overpriced, I'll try it and let you know.

• olcowhand said thank you

#10 mattsse OFFLINE  

mattsse
  • 21 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 05:03 AM

It's about the same as the other belt unfortunately.  I rigged up the clutch so it pulls even further to listen the belt and the mower is usable although occasionally the mower won't come out of gear and you have to turn the machine off, get out of gear and restart.

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 05:43 AM

Sorry the new belt didn't help , I've been reading this post since you started it and the advice would have been the same for me also . Maybe someone that has a tractor model like yours will have something else to try . The only thing I could offer was on my old Sears Custom 6 that got a 8 hp installed , I had a heck of time getting the belt to disengage . It took some bending and adjusting the belt guards ,they had to be just so so when you pushed the clutch pedal one would press againt the back of the belt just enough to stop it